We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2013  (Read 32864 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Lilium 2013
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
    quote author=Hakone link=topic=10022.msg282205#msg282205 date=1376037539]

Lilium leichtlinii var. maximowiczii Baker 1871

This is Lilium lancifolium Thunberg
Göte

Hmmm,  I know little about these beautiful flowers, but I have confirmed from the PBS wiki that  L. leichtlinii does not have stem bulbils.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/LiliumAsiaticSectionThree - page with L. leichtlinii

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Lilium_lancifolium

Lilies are another of the plants often received under the wrong names, aren't they?   :'(

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gene Mirro

« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
I agree that Hakone's lily is lancifolium.  Most lancifolium is the sterile triploid form.  If it was grown from seed, or if it sets seed, it is the diploid form.  The diploid multiplies like a weed from seeds and stem bulbils, and never shows symptoms of virus, at least in my garden.  I'm surprised it isn't more common.  It comes in orange and yellow forms.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
I planted these Lilium auratum in this pot a number of years ago. Every autumn I give them a handfull of Blood Fish and Bone, and every August they put on this show. Magic!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
two in flower now

Lilium auratum

Lilium chalcedonicum
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
There is a lot of confusion and controversy about these two lilies

Lilium lancifolium was described on Japanese material by Thunberg 1784 and then (presumably on Chinese material) in 1810 by Ker-Gawler as L. tigrinum. Unfortunately Thunberg’s naming was overlooked until fairly recently and the species is still known as “the Tiger Lily”. All forms have black bulbils and the form most common in gardens is triploid and thus sterile. Some triploid strains are reported to be virus infected but look healthy so they pose a danger. Fortunately seeds of the diploid orange forms have been distributed through seed exchanges. Several of the orange coloured Asiatic lilies like LL. amabile, concolor, dauricum etc. have yellow sports. Also L. lancifolium has a yellow sport (Var flaviflorum Makino) which comes true from seed and is very beautiful and easy. There is also a double sport that has been in cultivation in Europe since at least 1870.

A rather similar lily is found in East Asia but it differs in a number of ways (as observed by me in the garden).
The habitus is more slender. The stem runs sideways underground before emerging. The stem is less dark. It is taller. The leaves are narrower, greyer in colour and less glossy. It has no bulbils. Its inflorescence is hairier in the bud stage. The inflorescence is narrower without any branching of pedicels whereas lancifolium pedicels occasionally branch. Lancifolium sometimes has the second bract sitting on the pedicel rather than at the base of the pedicel (All liliums have two bracts to the pedicel but sometimes one of them is halfway up). This lily usually has both bracts at the pedicel base. The flowers are smaller. It is later to flower. All these differences are, each in themselves, not very striking and there may be some variation within both species Not all differences are obvious in all specimen all years. However seen side by side, the difference between the two is very obvious. Also this lily exists as a yellow sport which is rare and not so easy in cultivation.

The naming of this lily is really confused. In 1866 Regel named the orange form: Lilium maximowiczii. Unfortunately, the description was not published until 1888 – but then in two different publications. The yellow form was found in a consignment of other lily bulbs and Hooker named it L. lechtlinii November 1867.

The name psudo-tigrinum was published by Carière for the orange form in the second half of December 1867 thus six weeks later than Hooker’s publication of the yellow form. The diagnosis is in French not Latin. A valid diagnosis had to be published in Latin so that name is invalid twice over.

1872 Baker named the two varieties: L. lechlinii v. lechtlinii and L. lechlinii v. maximowiczii. My Japanese flora calls it Lilium lechtlinii var. tigrinum and kooniyuri コオニユリ(=small tiger lily). I do not know whether this is a local variant or a different name on the same taxon.

Obviously, with a naming history like this, misnaming is bound to occur. Unscrupulous bulb merchants will call anything orange they want to get rid of ‘tiger Lily’. The triploid lancifolium is of course sterile but there might be hybrids between diploid L. lancifolium and L. L. v. maximowiczii that confuse the issue. Also someone who has only seen one of the two and has to work out the name using a book, may have difficulties. 

Personally I would prefer to call it Lilium maximowiczii and regard the yellow as var. flaviflorum. We do this with other orange lilies with yellow sports. The present situation is a tail wagging a dog.

Göte
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:32:26 PM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Lilium poilanei in flower now
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
There is a lot of confusion and controversy about these two lilies

Lilium lancifolium was described on Japanese material by Thunberg 1784 and then (presumably on Chinese material) in 1810 by Ker-Gawler as L. tigrinum. Unfortunately Thunberg’s naming was overlooked until fairly recently and the species is still known as “the Tiger Lily”. All forms have black bulbils and the form most common in gardens is triploid and thus sterile. Some triploid strains are reported to be virus infected but look healthy so they pose a danger. Fortunately seeds of the diploid orange forms have been distributed through seed exchanges. Several of the orange coloured Asiatic lilies like LL. amabile, concolor, dauricum etc. have yellow sports. Also L. lancifolium has a yellow sport (Var flaviflorum Makino) which comes true from seed and is very beautiful and easy. There is also a double sport that has been in cultivation in Europe since at least 1870.

A rather similar lily is found in East Asia but it differs in a number of ways (as observed by me in the garden).
The habitus is more slender. The stem runs sideways underground before emerging. The stem is less dark. It is taller. The leaves are narrower, greyer in colour and less glossy. It has no bulbils. Its inflorescence is hairier in the bud stage. The inflorescence is narrower without any branching of pedicels whereas lancifolium pedicels occasionally branch. Lancifolium sometimes has the second bract sitting on the pedicel rather than at the base of the pedicel (All liliums have two bracts to the pedicel but sometimes one of them is halfway up). This lily usually has both bracts at the pedicel base. The flowers are smaller. It is later to flower. All these differences are, each in themselves, not very striking and there may be some variation within both species Not all differences are obvious in all specimen all years. However seen side by side, the difference between the two is very obvious. Also this lily exists as a yellow sport which is rare and not so easy in cultivation.

The naming of this lily is really confused. In 1866 Regel named the orange form: Lilium maximowiczii. Unfortunately, the description was not published until 1888 – but then in two different publications. The yellow form was found in a consignment of other lily bulbs and Hooker named it L. lechtlinii November 1867.

The name psudo-tigrinum was published by Carière for the orange form in the second half of December 1867 thus six weeks later than Hooker’s publication of the yellow form. The diagnosis is in French not Latin. A valid diagnosis had to be published in Latin so that name is invalid twice over.

1872 Baker named the two varieties: L. lechlinii v. lechtlinii and L. lechlinii v. maximowiczii. My Japanese flora calls it Lilium lechtlinii var. tigrinum and kooniyuri コオニユリ(=small tiger lily). I do not know whether this is a local variant or a different name on the same taxon.

Obviously, with a naming history like this, misnaming is bound to occur. Unscrupulous bulb merchants will call anything orange they want to get rid of ‘tiger Lily’. The triploid lancifolium is of course sterile but there might be hybrids between diploid L. lancifolium and L. L. v. maximowiczii that confuse the issue. Also someone who has only seen one of the two and has to work out the name using a book, may have difficulties. 

Personally I would prefer to call it Lilium maximowiczii and regard the yellow as var. flaviflorum. We do this with other orange lilies with yellow sports. The present situation is a tail wagging a dog.

Göte

This is what makes taxonomy so fascinating!

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »
This was bought as Lilium pumilum, which clearly it isn't. Small though,

fleurdelys

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
Dear Gardeners, I am really enchanted by all of your species, there's so much to learn...

I am a girl, I live half of the year in the northern part of Italy next to Milan, and the other half in Rome... and I have a real passion for lilies. In my garden, I can cultivate with success Lilium Candidum ( or Madonna Lily, the most common and most beloved in Italian gardens ) and Lilium Regale as true species, and if I'm in the North I have some success with Oriental and Asiatic Hybrids, but if I'm in Rome the Oriental hybrids are very difficult to grow... it's enough a week or two of heat, and the bulbs are gone, while the Asiatics are hardier and well adaptable to every temperature.

This year I lost the Casablanca ( my favourite... Yves Saint Laurent is said to have been fond of them ), the Montreal, the Stargazer and the Muscadet types, only Helvetia remained, giving me beautiful flowers, along with Asiatics Renoir and the Pixies varieties such as Reinesse, Sweet Lord, Pink Pixie, Butter Pixie, Crimson Pixie, Orange Pixie...

I would like to try some species like Wallichianum or Wenshanense, I appreciated really much the qualities Dick posted from Hong Kong, so delicate and refined, but of course I don't know if the climate of my zone will consent this.

When I live next to Milan, I have a little wild hill where I use to go for a walk with my Eni puppy- dog, and I am thinking to try to naturalize there some lilies, maybe the most similar to Lilium Bulbiferum Croceum.

I attach the only two photos I took for this year of my lilies, had also the Candidum and Regale well flourished but didn't take a snap.

The first is Asiatic Renoir, the second Oriental Helvetia ( sooooo scented! )

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
Welcome Fleurdelys!
 I believe I can almost smell the fragrance of that beautiful pot of lilies - they look fragrant!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pontus

« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »
Hello Fleur de lis,

Yes, wallichianum should do very well with you. It flowers late, in october/november and as you must have quite a long growing season they should flower well with you. They also do not mind heat, and will also grow in sun as long as the roots can be shaded. I have one very large specimen doing well in a huge pot that gets full sun from about 10 am to 5 or 6 pm.

Wenshanense needs more shade and cooler conditions, so it may be a bit trickier with you.

You could also try the USA hybrids, bred in oregon for resistance to heat, disease and cold. I have them in a sunny border in which they thrive (also under our 35°c summer this year, although the flower colour will be a bit fainter in full sun.) Hybrids such as anastasia and rococco are very good, as well as silk road.

I would recommend also 2 indestructibles, black beauty and sherehzade, also bred in the USA and very resistant. You could also try some turkish sp, such as monadelphum, svitzianum and cilliatum, which stand heat fairly well.

I can e mail you some images if you want of some of the hybrids, and species, i also have some other lilium images here on my website :

http://pontuswallstenplants.smugmug.com/Flowers/autumn-2010-plant-catalogue/12188653_LcvHNF#!i=1911132357&k=qnr3Q55

Pontus

fleurdelys

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »
Welcome Fleurdelys!
 I believe I can almost smell the fragrance of that beautiful pot of lilies - they look fragrant!

Hi Maggie, they were simply divine... in the evening especially, with open windows, you could have thought to be in Heaven

some people don't tolerate the perfume of the orientals from the auratum... I am still trying to have the Casa Blanca... even if Helvetia is very similar as lily, Casa Blanca remains a must have...

fleurdelys

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »
Hello Fleur de lis,

Yes, wallichianum should do very well with you. It flowers late, in october/november and as you must have quite a long growing season they should flower well with you. They also do not mind heat, and will also grow in sun as long as the roots can be shaded. I have one very large specimen doing well in a huge pot that gets full sun from about 10 am to 5 or 6 pm.

Wenshanense needs more shade and cooler conditions, so it may be a bit trickier with you.

You could also try the USA hybrids, bred in oregon for resistance to heat, disease and cold. I have them in a sunny border in which they thrive (also under our 35°c summer this year, although the flower colour will be a bit fainter in full sun.) Hybrids such as anastasia and rococco are very good, as well as silk road.

I would recommend also 2 indestructibles, black beauty and sherehzade, also bred in the USA and very resistant. You could also try some turkish sp, such as monadelphum, svitzianum and cilliatum, which stand heat fairly well.

I can e mail you some images if you want of some of the hybrids, and species, i also have some other lilium images here on my website :

http://pontuswallstenplants.smugmug.com/Flowers/autumn-2010-plant-catalogue/12188653_LcvHNF#!i=1911132357&k=qnr3Q55

Pontus

Hi Pontus,

in saying so, you let me hope... I thought Wallichianum needed high places ( he's apre- himalayan after all ), instead is perfect!

There are a lot of species I would like, also longiflorum ( maybe a hybrid like snow queen or white heaven is more easy to grow ), and of course I keep in mind those you mentioned me.

I send you my email in private message, I would be glad to discover some quality in Europe isn't on the market!

Thanks again

fleurdelys

« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »
Pontus, your Lilium Majoense and also the Bakerianum are sooooooo beautiful!! Can they adapt in Northern Italy?

arisaema

« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
I'm currently in Fugong, having just visited Dulongjiang. Between there and Gongshan I came across this species growing on a forested hillside alongside a big Smilacina who's name escapes me at the moment.. fusca. This has to be L. henrici, right?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:36:45 AM by arisaema »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal