We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: cyps in pots 2013  (Read 32157 times)

monocotman

this week - hybrids
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
Hi,

this week's hybrids include this very nice Aki light from Maren.
Pretty much all yellow with a bit of red on the dorsal.
Most of these pubescens x macranthos complex hybrids I find slower than usual to increase.
Next up is 'Inge', a plant that took severe exception to being repotted in autumn 2010 and is only now looking well.
Sabine alba is next, not quite fully out but starting to look good and a real favourite and good 'doer'.
This is only the 4th year of flowering but already up to 13 buds.
Last is 'Sunny' and about the biggest plant I grow with 25 large buds and flowers.
This is it's best flowering. It is growing in a 9 or 10 inch pot.

Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: cyps in pots 2013
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
What beautiful plants. They look so good in pots like that. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Botanica

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
What is the secret for having all of this flowering cypripediums !!??? ???

You're the Master of Cypripedium Man !!..I so impressed    :o

I hope i could have a similar flowering.... one day perhaps...

Take many pictures for us... i a fan !

See you soon.

monocotman

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »
Botanica - there is no 'secret' to growing them - all the information is already on the forum in various threads on cyps.
I don't believe in keeping secrets on growing plants!
I don't show them so there is no competitive edge needed.
I think the advances in culture and propagation make them straight forward
for most people - certainly those in the SRGC that are used to growing alpines.
I've failed with frits and all my oncos died in the last two cold winters but these plants just keep on growing!
Regards,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »
One clone in a pot will tend to all flower at once.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Stephen Vella

« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »
What Beauties David....You make it look so easy.
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
I'm intrigued by how many plants you have in flower - I've still got buds waiting to open on Cyp formosanum, and that usually flowers in late March.

I knew we had experienced a cold start to the season, but hadn't realised it was that cold... :-\ 

Looking on the bright side, at least the plants will benefit from the cooler weather.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

monocotman

Michael alba and Renate pastel
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »
Peter,
it does sound like you are very late. Where do you live?
A couple more hybrids flowering, both pale clones made by using macranthos alba instead of the normal colour form.
First up is Michael alba. This year it is stubbornly hanging onto a green cast on the flowers which should eventually turn white. A vigorous grex and easy to grow. It only started to flower 2 years ago and already has 9 growths with 10 flowers.
Next up is Renate pastel. This one has flower reminiscent of Sabine. The first photo shows the plant 2 years ago, first year with me when it was a weedy thing with a precocious flower.
This grex didn't seem to be available for that long, I think this one came from Edrom.
Not sure if it is one of Michael Wienerts.
This plant is one of those that really benefited from last year's cool summer.
The increase in growth this year is pretty surprising.

monocotman

This time with photos
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
Sometimes I press the wrong key.
photos of Michael alba and Renate pastel.
Quite a difference in the flower of Renate pastel now the plant is older,
David

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »
Peter, it does sound like you are very late. Where do you live?

We're shivering in the frozen wastes of Newcastle upon Tyne!  ;D

Most things have been incredibly late this year - I have a potful of Pterostylis curta that was in the peak of condition for our Hexham show last year on it's usual date of the last weekend in March and it's only just about at it's best now. It's not that I'm worried about my Cyps, they're all coming though and there are buds there, but nothing has opened fully yet, although one of my potfuls of Ulla Silkens has gone from nothing visible to about 10cms high in a week.
The plants are largely outside on the north side of the alpine house which is itself tucked into a south facing space between the house and high wall adjoining the main road. It can get quite warm there in the summer, and I mist the plants automatically twice a day, but it's also a windy site and it's been both cool and windy so far this year.

Hopefully pictures will follow in a week or so!
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

K Andrzejewski

« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Most things have been incredibly late this year -
- not only in Newcastle upon Tyne, across Europe is the same situation - in Poland, Germany and in London too. I don't remember so late flowering time of lords & ladies or wild garlic. I got 23 pots with Cypripedium, all year around outside without any cover and without one single drop of fertiliser & hormones, only 3 are flowering now. Two are hybrids with C.segawai as one parent, pot number 3 is a bit crazy - this is one of this plants from Germany with damaged roots, so last year Vegetation finished very quickly and now season started very early. Regards -
Kristof

K Andrzejewski

« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
fresh informations from Yahoo UK:

"Britons could be forgiven for thinking summer may finally be on the way - but some parts of the UK are enduring one last wintry weather blast. Cold temperatures and heavy rainfall in Devon and Yorkshire have subjected some areas to flooding and even snow, as spring and summer continue to stay away.Forecasters said the conditions were 'fairly unusual for May', as winds of 65mph struck the south west overnight. There was also reported snowfall in Shropshire. Trees came down and homes were left without power in Cornwall, while 14 flood alerts remain in place in the south west following heavy rain on Monday. Sheila Coates, from Princetown, told the BBC: 'It's crazy. When I went to bed last night I couldn't see out of my front window for the snow.I've lived here all my life and I've never known weather like it at this time of year '"

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »
We can definitively testify for Yorkshire ....
Corrado & Rina

angie

« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
Peter mine are well behind. Last year they were nearly all flowering for the Aberdeen show but I have only three flowering the others are still in bud. I took these in my greenhouse that I could enjoy the flowers. The day before we had hail and really strong winds.
Not a very good picture but you can see that three are in flower, not sure what happened to the little fellow.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »
Hi Angie,

Beautiful!

What is the short stemmed dark red flower, a C. calcicola?

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal