We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013  (Read 35280 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
I've been so busy looking at  the photos that I've only now read the text!  Bless Art's cotton socks for getting you a Glanchantress!   What a 'good egg' he is!

I just love that the tall guy at the back of the queue has not just got a bag- he's got a plastic crate/bread tray  That's what I call being prepared... he must also be a millionaire to be able to contemplate so many purchases!

Just noticed that Emma, in order to take her photo, has had to lay at least two bags on the ground!

Yes, I can see that there is quite a lot of water lying on the gravel, but at least the sun was shining and it doesn't look too cold for January - hope all the other events are so lucky!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

GoodGrief

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
I've sometimes thought I need to employ a 'runner'... not sure whether to go for a 'Usain Bolt' to blast their way to the front or a 'Mo Farrah' to wriggle their way through.

Arthur seems to perform pretty good !!

Malcolm.

Beatrice

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
it all brings me in the mood.... but I have to be patient : snow is melting here , the  snow drop day at Kalmthout is soon to come.... and in a few weeks I'll be in Scotland hunting drops!!!

freddyvl

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
With the start of "KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013" the snowdropseason really started. I'm sure that, besides me, each year many forumnists look forward to this moment as you can see from the reactions. So John it has become 'a must' whether you want it or not, there is no turning back !!!  ;)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
John - many thanks for all those photos. Great to see David and Anke at Myddleton House. Would have been nice to come along but I am spending my allowance this year on seeds from the American and Czech collectors. Perhaps next year; it looks one of the best snowdrop events there is for rare varieties.

Tim

It was a great day to meet up with like minded crazy people (and for me a big bonus is that there are open skies so I do not get claustrophobic).

I must admit to overspending, by the £30 that Arthur loaned to me yesterday (thank you Arthur. ;D ), but Tm, I think I would still attend with no money to spend as so many like minded "silly" friends and new friends there. 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Ding Dong

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
Great to have your blog back John, really enjoyed reading it and seeing the photos - certainly lifts the spirits and gets the sap rising!!! Look forward to your next one :)
Owner of the world's angriest geese - with scars to prove it! Works for Avon Bulbs

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
I did have to put just my 2 bags of snowdrops on the ground to take a picture , no crates for me !
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

JacquelineJ

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
I really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the pictures, thanks for sharing John.

I'm happy there were a few 'drops left over for me to pick up when I get to a Sale next month!
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

steve owen

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
I got some bruised ribs from that crate. :(
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

ChrisD

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
I must admit to overspending, by the £30 that Arthur loaned to me yesterday (thank you Arthur. ;D ), but Tm, I think I would still attend with no money to spend as so many like minded "silly" friends and new friends there.

Thanks for the posts John it sounds like you all had a great day. I was contemplating coming along to meet you all but decided I probably couldnt afford to indulge myself and certainly wouldnt be able to resist the temptation. There's always next year.

Looks like Jennie bought a few, you bought a few and Arthur a car load ;D ;D ;D

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
A great account of a lovely day John.  I really did enjoy myself and enjoyed meeting a few new people from 'Snowdrop World'.  I had been saving for this event and did indulge a little - it is only once a year!  I am not a pusher or shover so had to rely on my long arms to snatch a few before they had all gone.  Then I had to guard them like a mother hen until I could pay for them as people kept picking them up - think I will take a crate next time  ;D

I had my video camera with me but was so busy trying to locate snowdrops from my 'wish list' that I never got it out.  It would have made fun viewing - maybe next year.  As John said - it was all over very quickly and was quite frenzied at the beginning.

Lots of fun and thanks for the lift Arthur.  A great day with like minded people....you just can't beat it.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:53 PM »

Looks like Jennie bought a few, you bought a few and Arthur a car load ;D ;D ;D

Chris

I can assure you I did not buy a bootful, but surprised myself with the amount I spent.

Did not go with a wish list - I can't be disappointed  :) :) :)  Regretted not buying several, but on taking the time to look at my pots in the cold frames, found that I already had them  ;D

Sorry I missed out on meeting Loes, and saying hello to Janet (Judy's Snowdrops) to thank her for making my purchase from her so easy - the plants are all doing fantastically.  also missed saying hello to Richard W - even though he was only feet away - pleased that Benning ton Lordship is doing well, but sad we will not have the gathering of forumists, having missed last year.

It was a wonderful day.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »
Sorry Arthur didn't see you in the melee, there is still a chance of a meet here first weekend of march though it all depends on how the season has been affected by the snow & what is left to see. Is a shame because I've really enjoyed the forum days but workload and bookings just too much this year, will decide middle of feb.

Mavers

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
Great pictures John it's good to see the forum members having such an enjoyable time.

Who had 'Green Tear' for sale?

Did anyone see who grabbed one?

Mike
Somerset, UK

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
Thanks a lot for your great blog, John!
Living in the ´Snodrop diaspora`I enjoy it very much! :)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal