We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013  (Read 35260 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments - it is always lovely to hear that the time to sort/resize pictures and write some words has been worth it.   :)

I'm sure many lurkers like me appreciate this. :) I enjoy also the bigger pictures where you show the surroundings of the snowdrop plantings, it's nice to see how they are grown as well the close-ups of the flowers.
Leena from south of Finland

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:21 PM »
Only just spotted this addition to your blog.  I can't believe how much more they have expanded their collection at Spring Platt.  I wish I had that much confidence in the lattice pots in the ground.  The garden is beautifully maintained and tidy - I would have loved to have gone but got my dates muddled.  Will be sure to visit if they are open next year.

As my back gets worse by the year those waist high sleeper beds are sounding more and more appealing  ;)

Hope you feel better John.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
Sadly no snowdrop outings for me this weekend.   :(

But I did get to visit a military show this morning (followed by a rather good Sunday Roast pub lunch today).   ;D

Hopefully I shall do better with some 'drop interest next weekend.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Sadly no snowdrop outings for me this weekend.   :(

Or us.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
Good lord John!   :o  That is some deep snow! 

p.s. - and a very pretty street you live on.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
maybe i wont complain about the light dusting of snow we will have in the morning  :o

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
John - +27cm here,  imagine the USA with 90cm+!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
sorry we didnt get to visit you John , hope you enjoyed your lunch  :)
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
No worries Em.  I know the weatherman was threatening bad things so I'm not surprised you wanted to make sure of getting home without a 2 county detour!   :)
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Today's entry is a slight cheat as I didn't actually visit anywhere!

But as I was working from home today a few of the Kent Galanthophiles popped over to see me.  It had to be a quick wizz round the garden as I was on my lunch break and one of my visitors also needed to be away to collect the kids from school.

I checked the weather first thing and even though sun was expected I knew it wouldn't hit my shaded garden - so I went and cut a few flowers to bring indoors so that we would have something to look at.  SRGC member Uli very kindly gave me a present some months ago of a perspex and test tube vase - today was my first chance to use it.  I first saw this way of displaying selected flowers at Glen Chantry 5 or 6 years ago.  I have fond memories of Glen Chantry, while I was wandering round the beautiful garden I remember Ian spending a lot of time with 2 people in wheel chairs who could not get round the garden but they were all discussing and enjoying Wol and Sue's Galanthus up close in the vases.

Anyway - enough of my reminiscing on times past - and back to today.

Parking in my street is atrocious!  Caroline and Julie Millen had to drive round the block 3 times to find a parking space!  When I opened the front door I was presented with a pot full of Caroline's home made vegetable soup as it had been all sold out on my blog of their garden.  Thank you.   ;D   They also, overly generously and completely unexpectedly, gave me a Kentish snowdrop I have not come across before called 'Doddington'.  Still in tight bud but I look forward to seeing what it turns out to look like.

Tim Ingram arrived about 10 minutes later - his closest parking space was three streets away! :o   (Sorry for anyone who visits my mid terrace spot on weekdays as this can often happen.  Sunday is the best day to come here regarding parking).  Tim also came bearing gifts.    Alan - there is one of Tim's tall Galanthus caucasicus (from Kath Dryden) here for you.   ;)  I now have my first Cyclamen pseudibericum to try in the genetic mix here.   8)

(Gifts really are not needed to visit my little place - having the opportunity to spend time in the garden with like minded gardening friends is lovely in itself).

I had a very enjoyable hour in the garden talking snowdrops and cyclamen before I had to chuck my guests out so that I could continue my work.

A few pics:

1 - Guests in the garden

2 - The indoors 'display'

3 - "Lurkers"   ;)  (Julie and Caroline Millen)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:08:06 PM by KentGardener »
John

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Two Elizabeth Harrison! :o
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
I was presented with a pot full of Caroline's home made vegetable soup as it had been all sold out on my blog of their garden. 

Yeah, I missed that soup too; I hope you saved me some.
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »
Two Elizabeth Harrison! :o

Two lovely Millen's too.   ;D
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »
Yeah, I missed that soup too; I hope you saved me some.

Soz.... (as one one my colleagues says) - in other words... sorry!  I consumed and then licked the bowl of every drop.

I'll cook some other home made soup here next time you make it to Kent.   ;) 
John

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
Okay - that sounds good.

Since John's image rarely appears in his own blog, here's some snowdrops with him off in the distance.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal