We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013  (Read 35257 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2013
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2013, 04:09:32 AM »
I woke early yesterday looking forward to my annual pilgrimage to the RHS spring show.  I had to go into my office to do 4 hours work in the morning but still managed to arrive at the two display halls in Victoria by midday.  This is the first year that I had to pay for entrance (as I have let my RHS membership lapse) – but I thought £8 wasn't a bad price to see so many great nurseries displaying their best plants.  On entering the hall the first stand I encountered was the wonderful Avon bulbs display – deservedly achieving a gold medal.  Snowdrops were used in many of the displays but most notably on the Avon and Foxgrove stands.

1 – Avon Bulbs

2 – The lovely Ding Dong behind the range of drops that Avon had for sale

3 – New drop ‘The Wizard’ – the most sought after of the day.  18 were at the show and were sold within minutes of the doors opening.

4 – Chas with a smile on his face.

5 – Foxgrove display
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2013, 04:21:45 AM »
1 - Broadleigh

2 - One I had not seen before - elwesii 'Fat Boy' - I couldn't really see why this one got named as I wasn't impressed by it.

3 - another I hadn't seen before - nivalis 'Tiny' - another I couldn't really see why it was named as I see loads like this in woodlands.

4 - I rather liked this dark leaved Bergenia 'Overture' - one I shall be looking out for.

5 - This pretty Begonia 'Fedor Magic Colours' also attracted my attention
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2013, 04:30:54 AM »
It is not just the plants that I attend this show to see.  It is also a great place to catch up with old friends and to make new ones.

1 - SRGC members (Emma, Alan, Anthony, Chas) - not sure what Emma, Alan and Chas are looking at but it certainly isn't my camera! :D

2 - Alan Street, Brenda and John Foster, Joe Sharman

3 - Joe's Buttonhole

4 - The other hall!...
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2013, 04:47:22 AM »
Sadly for the second year running no snowdrops were presented before the Joint Rock Committee.  But there were a few nice Eranthis to put a smile on my face.

1 - 'Grunling' - received a Preliminary commendation

2 - 'Orange Glow'

3 - 'Eberhard Fluche' - another name now added to my 'wants list'!

It was so warm in the halls with the sunlight streaming through the glass roof that I had high hopes of a nice display in my garden when I got home.  It was a real disappointment to find that the ground was still frozen in Gillingham.  :(  Oh well....  At least I had the chance to see loads of lovely open flowers in London.   8)

John

JacquelineJ

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
Wow, you're blogging early! :D

It was really nice to meet you John and so many other forum members at the show.  Chas is looking particulary pleased with himself. The cat that got the cream comes to mind!  I'm glad you included the "Wizard" pic because I tried to find him later to have a look.

I had Bergenia Overture on my list too but didn't find it.... obviously didn't look hard enough!
The displays were beautiful and congratulations to Avon bulbs and that Gold Award well deserved!
I managed to bundle a few 'drops and sack loads of mini Iris back to Gloucestershire, quite a fete on a packed train!

Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
I haven't been to the RHS Show in February for a couple of years but the excitement of those stands still comes across really well. I've belonged to the RHS for as long as the AGS and remember being captivated visiting them as a student in London 30 years ago. I remain of the opinion that plants stand above design - the second Hall looks more like an art exhibition - nothing wrong with that but it seems to divide two aspects of gardening that really should come together.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »
2 - Alan Street, Brenda and John Foster, Joe Sharman

...and Cliff Curtis on the extreme left of the picture,  Thanks for taking Joe's buttonhole John, always interesting to see.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I did wonder that myself Brian - I zoomed in on the original and convinced myself it was someone else in a flat cap.   :-\
John

Mavers

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
I agree Tim.

Design has its place, but a lot of it goes over my head as I'm more interested in the PLANTS.

I enjoyed 'designing' my new garden but it's plants, plants, PLANTS for me.

I'd be sorry to see the RHS become a 'marina' for swish millionaires & forget that it's also a harbour for fishing folk.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:14:25 AM by Mavers »
Mike
Somerset, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »
I did wonder that myself Brian - I zoomed in on the original and convinced myself it was someone else in a flat cap.   :-\

pic 1 -Is it or isn't it Cliff?....  (hopefully Sharon will be lurking to answer for us  ;) )

pic 2 - Another pic I spotted of the Foxgrove display looking rather nice.

pic 3 - just to show that the 'design' hall wan't completely not alive.

John

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Yes ,John that is Cliff
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
Could not go yesterday, but met a friend and enjoyed today.

Going on a train is always an experience - not really enjoyed when train is late, and crowded.  Booked ticket online and found out I had paid £7 more than I needed to - I asked for the cheapest return, but did not get it ??? :( >:(  Can feel a letter coming on....

Coming home was better as I managed to catch a train before the rush hour.  However, 8 bags of plants take some handling :) and I missed the car.  Bought Crocus, snowdrops, eranthis and shrubs.

All in all an excellent day - next year I will make it on the Tuesday.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ronm

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
I have sent a photo to Bob Wallis to see if he can identify it.

Have several other Frits in bud, but generally there is no sign of life.

Did you ever establish its identity Arthur?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:52:17 PM by ronm »

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
Anyone know what the variegated leaf is in Joe's buttonhole? Looks almost like an Oriental poppy with those hairs.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
Great account of the day John and I am so disappointed I missed you all.  I was there but not until later in the day - sister turned up unexpectedly and then the train was delayed for over an hour because a lorry hit the bridge further down the line.  I got there and headed to the Avon stand and asked Maxine where everyone was......"gone" was the answer  :'(

Sorry I missed meeting Jacqueline.....and Ruby Baker.  Was looking forward to seeing all the forumists - will have to wait another year now.

Only bought 2 galanthus - was concentrating on companion plants and got some lovely bits ie. Eranthis, Lathyrus vernus cvs., Bergenia ciliata, Chrysosplenium macrophyllum (for very shady spots) and a few Arisamae  ;D

Here's a pic of me outside the halls to prove I was there (with bags as usual)

Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal