We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2013  (Read 29693 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Fritillaria 2013
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »
Ashley  - my first thought - based on the flower -  was either  F. caucasica or F. armena but in Rix's descriptions he gives the max. width of the basal leaves as 2cm for both. So, I don't know.
Looking at F. caucasica in Laurence Hill's Fritillaria Icones I suspect you're right.  Notwithstanding the general description the lower leaf shown looks 3 cm or so in width, and basal leaves of these plants on the AGS website appear even broader although they have few leaves further up the scape.  Hill also refers to its 'long, slender style, thin purple anther filaments and few leaves, which are usually only 3 or 4 in number' and flowers with a glaucous bloom, all of which fit.
Thanks Gerry.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
Thanks for your help. It seems to be more complicated than expected.
I compared my plants with a few pictures I found on the internet and I have the feeling that the leaves (plant structure) look like carica, but the flower seems to be more like pinardii.
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Gert Hoek

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
Gert - that is a very fine F. aurea. I think the large form is quite rare in cultivation (& said to be difficult). Where did your plant come from?

Hello Gerry, I have got the bulb from a friend, he is a proffesional bulb grower of bigger bulbs as Gladioli. And in his spare time he has a collection of smaller bulbs for rockgarden.
Grows alpines below sealevel

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
One I'd like an opion, came to me as F.kurdica but it's a different shape from the olive green one I had before. Bit of a disappointment

the other I am sure of F.michailovskyi

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Mark

In 2005 in Iran we saw a clump of Frits that we thought were crassifolia.  They do resemble your plant, but the colour of the bell looks wrong for crassifolia.

The Wallises called the plant we found Fritillaria crassifolia aff.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
thanks Arthur, that does look close - of course with no sun here it does look very dark.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

art600

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
Some more Fritillaria crassifolia photographed before the cold weather struck
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
Earlier Tony Willis posted a photo of a Frit. spec. nova

These were from the same area, but are interestingly different - certainly do not look like poluninii nor hakkari

Photos taken March 14th - think the bumble bee had died.
Arthur Nicholls

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
Interesting to see these , Art  - though I was distracted by wondering whether ( in pic 1104) that is a very small frit or a very large bumble bee?!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
I bought these Fritillaria gibbosa from Norman Stephens and was pleased to see 3 different plants
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »
Interesting to see these , Art  - though I was distracted by wondering whether ( in pic 1104) that is a very small frit or a very large bumble bee?!

Frit was of normal size and so was the bee :)
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
Promise of things to come

Frit alfredae glauco-viridis

Section of bulb  house
Arthur Nicholls

Gerry Webster

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
Fritillaria aurea

The usual form in cultivation; smaller than the 'giant' form shown above by Gert Hoek - height 4cm, flower 2.7cm long.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:43:02 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »
What a wonderful selection in the above pages, every one a gem. :) I hope they - and you all - are not too deeply distressed or depressed by the weather patterns sweeping through Britain, Europe and the States at present, such a turn around from the spring of just a few weeks ago. It worries me to see the farmers and their struggle to save sheep especially, and newly born lambs trying so hard to endure the snow and ice, a terrible time for those whose lives depend on their animals and for the animals themselves of course.

We, on the other hand are suffering the worst drought in over 5 decades, not so bad down here in the south of the South Island but really disastrous in the North Island. Is this all just part of a natural cycle or have we humans damaged our planet to such an extent that "normal" weather is a thing of the past?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
Two views of a fritillaria sp. collected north of Van on the Tendurek pass. When we first saw it we thought it was a form of F. michailovskyi but soon realised it was not.

In his book Buried Treasures page 335, Janis who also saw this plant wonders if it is a hybrid between F. crassifolia and F. armena.

Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal