We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2013  (Read 74797 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Galanthus in February 2013
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
Anne  - You're frightfully organized there. No wonder such spectacular results.  I agree with Tim, an article is in order.  Do you use micropore tape to protect the pollinated stigma?  We buy it at the pharmacy here and it's waterproof as well yet breath so the pollen doesn't go mouldy.

res:  GT x RB  I can supply RB pollen and can do the reverse here and split the seed.  Had suggested to Robin to do the same using Green Mile with RB.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »
So many great snowdrops!
Anne, Congratulations for your yellow drops, great results!

Here season is nearly over - one of the last: good old 'Jessica'.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

JacquelineJ

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
Wow, there are some gorgeous snowdrops on here, I'm drooling!!! :o
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
Those of you who are AGS Members might like to have a look at the Swop Shop thread on the AGS On Line Discussion thingy. You'll have to sign in to look.
Not so much a multi-coloured swap shop as a white, green and touch of yellow one....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:11 PM »
Hi everyone - thanks to everyone for their commiserations.  I was annoyed with myself more than anything for putting expensive TINY bulbs in a lattice pot, in a wet summer and expecting them to thrive.  I only buy 4 or 5 really special ones every year and to lose them in one hit is disheartening.  We are not millionaires after all - just crazy  ;D

I do have greenhouses but they are red hot in the summer so I don't think the bulbs would like it in there.  I intend to renovate my old brick built frames with some help from my brother.  The lids need fixing and I will need net covers for NF season.  I am determined not to give up but need to build up stock in future before planting out - it seems the only sensible way forward.

Most of the beds I have been planting in are raised as they are around trees so I have raised the soil level by about 2ft or more in places.  Most have survived but the losses have been too high for my liking.  I have obviously not got the soil mix right.  It has been extremely wet up there ....but it has been wet EVERYWHERE for most of this year.

Lovely photos John & Mavers.  Anne - beautiful, organised seedlings - it must be so exciting watching the seedlings bloom.  Steve - thanks for the pic of ex-Cliff Curtis gracilis - its lovely.  Emma - good luck with Green Tear - don't think I could stand the responsibility  ???  You are very brave.

Tim - its funny you should mention losing all those bulbs when you divided them in the ground as I have read on here that the NF seems to go for newly divided ones which has made me paranoid about dividing.  Where does it end  ::)

Its raining heavy again - so glad my new purchases are under cover in our new conservatory for now.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »
The fly doesnt just go for newly divided bulbs it's any bulb. A pinch of Suscon Green above the bulbs, between the soil surface and bulb noses, should sort out grubs as they pass through the soil if you're having major problems. A local nursery my help you because its been withdrawn. Someone may know of an alternative.

Does anyone use Provado?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »
The fly doesnt just go for newly divided bulbs it's any bulb. A pinch of Suscon Green above the bulbs, between the soil surface and bulb noses, should sort out grubs as they pass through the soil if you're having major problems. A local nursery my help you because its been withdrawn. Someone may know of an alternative.

Does anyone use Provado?

Mark - I have tons of Suscon green but stopped using it on almost everything because of killing bees. I am not having major problems although in clumps I notice some have been eaten - I can live with it if its a clump.  I will certainly try a pinch near the noses next time I divide.  I have been putting a pinch in lattice pots.....when I remember.

Just been searching ebay for bread baskets/trays for the pots and someone in Newcastle upon Tyne wants £1.50 buy it now for 21 white bread baskets/trays - collection only.  A good deal indeed
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:48:33 AM by kentish_lass »
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
JanB - I think it definitely worth you sending a letter with a picture to where you got Trimming from to mention they have made a mistake.

Anne - extremely organised pictures there.  Great to see them compared with 'Wendys Gold' in each pic so that we have a known point of reference.  Did all seedlings turn out yellow?  Or were many green?  Also - was the pod parent the WG or the Lutescens? 

I had previously been told that WG produced green flowered seedlings - but then back crossing these to a yellow produced a high proportion of yellow seedlings.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
Anne, very interesting wg crosses!

My (few) galanthus are far behind.
Peter Gatehouse still in flower, Barnes have just opened and Wendys Gold has just shown its "gold" through the snow.
Spindlestone surprise and nivalis sandersii has just shown their noses.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
I went to take photos today but just could not resist the urge to pull out a few 'no show' lattice pots and check their contents.  This is what I found:

Who are you buying these tiny bulbs from?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
I had previously been told that WG produced green flowered seedlings - but then back crossing these to a yellow produced a high proportion of yellow seedlings.

I've crossed Wendy's Gold with Primrose Warburg (using W.G. as seed parent) and got some yellows but more greens, which is a bit puzzling as even if P.W. is a cross between a yellow nivalis Sandersii and a green plicatus with only one yellow gene you'd still expect expect to get half yellow and half green progeny. And really, with each parent being yellow you'd expect most offspring to be yellow. I'm back-crossing to see wha happens next.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Mavers

« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
That's what I was wondering Mark. ???

HI Emma any chance we could see more pictures of your Green Tear??

Come on you know you want to show off  ;D

There's another green 'un in the background........you didn't buy TWO did you??
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:14:36 AM by Mavers »
Mike
Somerset, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
Wow, there are some gorgeous snowdrops on here, I'm drooling!!! :o

Don't look Jacquline, it's a very slippery slope ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
That's what I was wondering Mark. ???

HI Emma any chance we could see more pictures of your Green Tear??

Come on you know you want to show off  ;D

There's another green 'un in the background........you didn't buy TWO did you??

I didnt buy it  8)  one bulb has become 2 and even the daughter bulb is flowering

And before anyone says anything , it is happy in the pot . It is in the pot to keep it safe from Dog bums  ;) (and dogs in general, not just their bums) Martin will understand  :) 
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2013, 11:46:54 AM »
Two flowering bulbs of Green Tear.  Wow!  Emma, I bet you'll find everyone at the Gala wants to be your best friend now.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal