We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2013  (Read 72033 times)

MR GRUMPY

Re: Galanthus in February 2013
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
And  the last one today.Mark i think a photograph can say more than words.I will get them all together and photograph them for you.(next week)I can say that spetchley yellow is more the size of a sandersii,with leaves more like nivalis.Primrose has a longer ovary than spindlestone,but you need both plants together to see that.

Wrentnall peculiar.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:15:14 PM by MR GRUMPY »
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
John,I know maggie is a cyber wizard,but i changed my posts myself. I didn't want to upset you.
Heres a few more pictures.

Betty Hansell.JPG
    Dotty.JPG
    Igraine.JPG
    My seedling.JPG
    Trymming.JPG

Steve, you have added the names to the actual photos, but it is little old me who has added the names to the text of your posts!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
I know maggie is a cyber wizard,but i changed my posts myself.I didn't want to upset you.

Excellent.  It is great that your postings from today can now be searched for years to come.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »
Through the kind offices of John we had a very enthusiastic group of German snowdrop lovers visit us on Thursday, led by a delightful lady, Iris Ney. There is nothing like showing others your garden at this time of year - it brings out those with a real passion for plants and gardens - and the snowdrops really did their thing!

Galanthus 'Ivy Cottage Green Tips' - but like Mark says without Green Tips (a neat plant anyway, a little like 'Kite').
G. 'Hippolyta' - the best double in our garden.
G. 'Galatea' - classic and elegant snowdrop with 'poise'.
G. 'Gerard Parker' - perhaps my favourite, a really striking plant which self-sows freely and could produce even more garden worthy offspring.
G. 'Mrs Thompson' - this stands out when the sun shines and the tepals open widely, often with four or five segments. The image of Marylyn Munroe in that dress comes to mind!

Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Finally one eagle-eyed visitor noticed a variegated sport on 'Viridapice'. I wonder how stable this is likely to be? And how easy to separate and grow on? Quite neat in any event.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
As you say Tim, quite neat, and I particularly like the twisted spathe.  Iris visited Ann Borrill yesterday, and yes they are a lovely group of people.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »
I didn't get out and about today - so a few pics from my little patch.

1 - 'Mrs Thomson' doing another great creation.

2 - 'Dymock' - not a big sized flower.

3 - Colesborne Seedling

4 - 'South Hayes'

5 - 'Anglesea Anglesey Abbey'  (sorry - got my spelling wrong first time)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:09:36 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
My your Anglsey Abbey is terribly well-behaved John.

johnw     - still waiting for more snow but the south is thoroughly battered.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

JacquelineJ

« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Your 'drops are looking very nice John.  Can't wait to see my South Hayes but she's still wearing her veil (sheath) hopefully next week she'll show herself!!  ;)
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
Steve (Mr Grumpy) - beautiful photos and very desirable plants.  Do you have them in lattice pots or directly in the ground?  I notice that 'Dotty' is not always so dotty and the markings are merging.  All very nice and clumping up nicely.

Tim - Wow what clumps!  Do you divide them very much?  I am nurturing one Gerard Parker bulb and to see your huge clump is ubelievable - it must look spectacular in the flesh.  All look very happy & healthy.  When you have clumps that size the Narcissus Fly is not so frightening....a couple would not be missed.

John - gorgeous.  Your camera picks up such detail.  Very beautiful photos and lovely snowdrops just glowing with health.  Are you at peak bloom yet?  I have hardly anything probably because we are very high in this part of Kent.  Lots flowering in pots though  ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:44:58 PM by kentish_lass »
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »
Thanks everyone who liked my photo's.I'm glad i could share them with you all.
Jennie.I'm glad you like photo's.Yes,i have all but eighty in round lattice pots.I've found round one's are easier to lift,they just need a twist side to side and up they come.They are plunged into the ground and then i put gravel over them,so you can't tell thier potted.It seems to work well,but i need to improve the drainage a little more.I lift the baskets every june for chipping and fresh compost is added and a little sharpe sand around the bulbs.I'm always trying to find a better way of growing them,but some snowdrops do not like to live,no matter what you do for them.I guess thats why i love them.
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

ChrisD

« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the photos everybody, some lovely varieties there. I particularly like the bigger clumps in Tims shots, they look great like that.

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
Jennie - I don't divide them very often (probably every four or five years), even though the received wisdom is to do so (too many other things to do in the garden). I think the major factor is time - we have opened the garden for many years and so my aim is to develop strong plantings, though not necessarily very many different varieties, and we are lucky that we have lot of space. And though I love the variation in snowdrops, I also have a wider sense of the planting in the garden, and think they look so much more 'natural' en masse. The snowdrop wood down the road always takes my breath away more than any garden! (Also - I am a nurseryman as well as gardener and so have a vested interest in growing them as well as I can; so it is important to get good strong stock colonies).

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
Having just looked through the pictures of the Snowdrop Gala though, I have a feeling snowdrops might wield their subtle attraction more and more - the important thing is to persuade your better half of their particular magic. The snowdrop hats look as though they should be collector's items too!

steve owen

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
Steve is your G. 'Paddys Ketton' flowering? Stupid name but I still feel it must already be named
Mark
Sorry to keep you waiting for this, its taken several days indoors for PK to open up for me to photograph. Tha plants you gave me seem very healthy and growing well.
Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal