We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2013  (Read 73666 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus in February 2013
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »
Two flowering bulbs of Green Tear.  Wow!  Emma, I bet you'll find everyone at the Gala wants to be your best friend now.

They already do Alan as everyone wants a snowdrop hat.   8)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
 ;D Its a great plant , im lucky to have it
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »
      res:  GT x RB  I can supply RB pollen and can do the reverse here and split the seed.  Had suggested to Robin to do the same using Green Mile with RB.         

Dear John,

I followed your advice on crosspolinating Green Mile with Rosemary Burnham a couple of years ago (both male and female). Some seedlings will be flowering for the first time this spring. I'll post some pics later on...

Robin
www.greenmilenursery.be
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
That will be very interesting, Robin.  I actually prefer the look of your 'Green Mile' to 'Green Tear' but my pockets are not deep enough, nor my garden reliable enough, to grow either of them.
Almost in Scotland.

Mavers

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
Thanks Emma it looks very healthy & seems to be one you will soon have enough of to share..... ;D

Heehee

Mike
Somerset, UK

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
Some of my own collections as seed over several years

First three are Galanthus elwesii and in the case of the flower on the right in the third picture this is very large 5.5cms from the top of the ovary to the end of the petals

Galanthus rhizahensis

Galanthus 'Primrose Warburg' a gift from Ian.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
Tony

Excellent pictures of excellent snowdrops.

The elwesii look to have more than a touch of gracilis :-\
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
Arthur

as you probably know gracilis is supposed to grow on the same mountain and I have a good selection of intermediates between it and elwesii. Some others I have raised look like pure gracilis but those in my second picture are very strongly supervolute like elwesii
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
Dear John,

I followed your advice on crosspolinating Green Mile with Rosemary Burnham a couple of years ago (both male and female). Some seedlings will be flowering for the first time this spring. I'll post some pics later on...

Robin
www.greenmilenursery.be

Wow that's great Robin!  If you get vigour and green in the hybrid it/they will be a winner(s).  RB is vigorous enough in a pot but rather slow though persistent in the ground here, given particularly good drainage. I have some 'Green Brush' x 'Rosemary Burnham' and tramp (another Trym look-alike) x 'Rosemary Burnham' just up last month but think a nivalis hybrid is better suited to this climate.  Keep us posted.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
Does anyone use Provado?

I use its equivalent Mark.  I do a drench about 2 months before leaf die-back. Important to apply it when the leaves and roots are fully active so it gets absorbed into the bulb.  Given that it is a systemic the NBF would have to take an initial bite of the bulb to be killed, I'm not keen on having chunks of bulbs removed.  In the unlikely event a larva was already present in the soil at that time of year then it could presumably be killed on contact.  Just before leaf die-back I give the soil a dusting with something like SusconG to repel or kill them, nothing terribly potent left to use here.  Suscon Green certainly did a good job though it's nasty stuff.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:27:15 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
Dear John,

Robin
www.greenmilenursery.be

Aww, John- someone IS listening to you!   ;D ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
Oh, Carolyn, I think your characterisation of the the forum being 'uncooperative' is rather unfair.  It is more likely to be your connection that has had cut-outs or time lags that cause the system to reject your photos. If there are interruptions to any download this is likely to happen.

Maggi, So sorry.  I didn't really mean that as a criticism of the forum which I think very highly of and am thankful for.  I just meant uncooperative in the sense that I can't post photos.  Every time I try more than one photo I get a message from the forum saying the post won't work because it exceeds 200 KB.  I have previously been able to post at least five photos with text in the size that I have been attempting now.  Am I doing something wrong?  This problem is ongoing.  I know you put a lot of work into the forum so I am sorry if I upset you.  Carolyn
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
Thanks Carolyn- I spend so much time here I  do get very protective over this "baby" !
I seem to have misunderstood your post- I didn't realise you hadn't seen the  new restrictions.

The Forum photo posting limits were changed some weeks ago - now one may only post photos  up to five at a time and each must be less than 200 Kb.
There is a notice by the 'Attach' area......
Restrictions: 5 per post, maximum total size 1000KB, maximum individual size 200KB

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »
Carolyn I have found that timing is one of the key things, when lots of people are accessing the forum or lots are using your isp link it can be slow, so I always have my photos ready to post and type the words in the 'Post reply' box then copy them, close the box and start again, pasting the words instantly so the only thing taking time is adding the pictures.  It seems to help, and if all else fails, I do it an hour or so later.  Hope that helps and might work for you :)

Brian, Thanks for your advice.  I did use the words "not cooperating" instead of uncooperative  :).  Actually for the post that worked I inadvertently followed your advice because I was frustrated with losing my text each time I tried to post.  I typed the text in a word document and pasted it into the reply box and then uploaded the photo.  However, it still would not let me post more then one photo without the error message I mentioned above re: over 200 KB.  Do you have any advice on that because I have lots of nice photos I would like to put up?  Carolyn
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
See my reply above, Carolyn- all will be revealed and, I hope, soon reveal all the super photos we are hoping to see from you!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal