We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2013  (Read 72025 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus in February 2013
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
Photo of my seedling when I get home. Close by Trumps, Lady Elphinstone and Ecusson

Ooh, yes please Mark.   8)

That sound like a most intriguing  mix for a galanthus flower.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:45:06 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Its only single flowered so no double genes. The photo is over exposed. I'll try again when the flower opens
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

John Aipassa

« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
 :o :o Nevertheless, it is a beauty!
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
Wow - that is lovely with that yellow Mark, Mark!   8)

Let us hope it is a stable characteristic and turns out to be a good increaser.

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
Looks exciting, Mark, the gene fairies have been very kind!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mavers

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
It's a beauty Mark, hope it does well........remember to spread it around to other forum members just in case it decides not to like you :-* ;D
Mike
Somerset, UK

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
I'm just having a play with some pollen dusting. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good article on hand pollinating galanthus? The snowdrops monograph reports that Church says the stigma is receptive as soon as the flowers open. I'm finding it difficult removing the anthers without releasing pollen. Are they self-fertile or is emasculation unnecessary?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2013, 11:35:25 AM »

I was delighted to find this plant with 3 scapes.  There appears to be a fourth, but I think this is from a daughter bulb.

Inner mark is shown
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
It's a beauty Mark, hope it does well........remember to spread it around to other forum members just in case it decides not to like you :-* ;D

Or get someone like Martin or Margaret to chop it for you.   ;D
John

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
Its only single flowered so no double genes. The photo is over exposed. I'll try again when the flower opens

Mark, are you sure it isn't a stray bulb from your Ecusson clump that you say is nearby?
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
I'm just having a play with some pollen dusting. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good article on hand pollinating galanthus? The snowdrops monograph reports that Church says the stigma is receptive as soon as the flowers open. I'm finding it difficult removing the anthers without releasing pollen. Are they self-fertile or is emasculation unnecessary?

I find it too fiddly and time consuming to remove the anthers so I just try to catch the flowers as soon as they open and get the stigma well covered with the pollen from my brush before the flower's own pollen has a chance to drop. Snowdrops are not generally very self-fertile so I find this mostly works well.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
I'm lucky to be working from home today and started work at stupid o'clock - so am allowing myself a few 45 mins sessions in the garden.

Sorry if there is a slight picture overload from me this weekend - but taking the pics really cheers me up and this is the first warm day in ages. 

Some pics from my elevenses.   ;D

1 & 2 - 'John Gray' - this was always a disappointment in the back garden as it had a real tendency to "flop".  It was suggested on this forum a few year back that I try it drooping over the edge of a raised bed.  So I planted it in the sink outside my front door.  It is the only snowdrop out front but seems very happy and helps to make people smile as they walk past.   :)  Pic 1 is my neighbours cat licking it's lips as she know I have cat treat hidden just inside my front door! 

3 - 'Sentinel'

4 - elwesii 'Wispy'- one of Phil Cornish's find with "the smallest inner mark" he has seen on an elwesii.

5 - 'Ivy Cottage Green Tips' - some years the marks is almost invisible - but this year it is quite prominent on 80% of the flowers.   8)
John

Anthonyh

« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »
Very nice snowdrops and pictures John... I look forward to seeing some more... I hope it's nice down there... it's very sunny here in Worcestershire- perfect for some 45 minute breaks!

John Gray looks very happy there... and you've pushed 'Ivy Cottage Green Tips' closer to the top of my wish list... My few green tipped elwesii, especially Jessica, are barely showing any green here this year.
A veg grower who's become increasingly distracted... especially with woodland plants and snowdrops!Worcestershire.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
My few green tipped elwesii, especially Jessica, are barely showing any green here this year.
Me too Anthony, very disappointing.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

ronm

« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
Maggi - On our SRGC Calender ( the hard copy that came with the last Journal ), today is indicated as 'Snowdrop Day'. What is the significance of this please?  ???

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal