We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Green tipped woronowii  (Read 13302 times)

Anthonyh

Green tipped woronowii
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »
I just thought I'd share some pictures of a green-tipped woronowii I found in a garden centre last year. I'm not very good at adding pictures... but if this works... first picture is from last year, showing the pot of woronowii and the others are from this year. It seems to be stable, and I now have a flowering size plant and two smaller daughter bulbs although they were attacked by slugs this year whilst in a frame (despite pellets) so they're all now in a greenhouse. The final picture only has green dots on the inner segment, which I believe is  common... but it's an interesting combination of markings from a single garden centre pot.
A veg grower who's become increasingly distracted... especially with woodland plants and snowdrops!Worcestershire.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Green tipped woronowii
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
A nice find Anthony - always exciting to find something different in the many pots in garden centres.  I have found some over the years but sadly they have never been strong growers and only lasted a year or two.

Fingers crossed your find turns out to be a good do'er. 

I am sure you have seen it before - but here is a pic from here last year of "woronowii 'Cider with Rosie'"
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthonyh

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »
Thanks John,

It must be frustrating and a shame when nice looking plants are found, only to find they disappear or are weak. I deliberately kept this  for a year to see what it was like, but  I'll reserve my final judgement until I've had it a bit longer, and can see what the daughter bulbs are like.

Thanks for the pic. I was going to ask those of you who have or have seen 'Cider with Rosie' what you think of it. I haven't even seen it yet... I'll see if they have it at Colesbourne this weekend. I also saw  there was a very similar woronowii (found by Valentin Wijnen?) in the IRG e-magazine Maggie mentioned on the forum recently... so I'm not expecting it to make my fortune... I just like it!
A veg grower who's become increasingly distracted... especially with woodland plants and snowdrops!Worcestershire.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
A nice find Anthony, I hope it proves stable for you.  I bought 'Cider with Rosie' last year and notice that there are four pairs of leaves this year so it will be interesting to see how many flowers I will get.  Hope you find one at the weekend.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Anthonyh

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
Thanks Brian,

That would be a pleasing rate of increase... I hope you get a nice little clump of flowers, and that we might see some pictures on here!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
Being green tipped for a second year must be a good sign for your woronowii
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:44:57 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
I have a clump, badly needs dividing, of what were green tipped woronowii. I was working in a garden centre at the time so took the oportunity to remove all green tipped and repot them together so I could buy them. I bought around 10. I now have around 30 and none have been green again.

This year I found a green tipped elwesii elwesii very like Green Brush.

Anthonyh

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
I hope your elwesii is stable. I have a few in the garden which sometimes have tiny green tips, and other years they don't... I find it very odd.     

It's a shame your woronowii haven't repeated the green tips, were they like mine? I'd been waiting and worrying about this one... expecting it to have a plain flower this year.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
I must look for photos of mine

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »
Hasn't anybody looked at my profile picture yet?
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Hasn't anybody looked at my profile picture yet?
Are you logged as two people?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I thought your avatar was the same as shown above

Anthonyh

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
Have you got a green tipped woronowii Steve? I can't work out how to enlarge your profile pic?

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »
Yes Anthony,He is now six years old.I would love to post pictures,but i don't know how.Help. ??? ??? ???
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

Anthonyh

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
I'm fairly new to this. I have to open pictures from my camera with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, go to the 'picture' tab. Click on 'resize' and there's a box to reduce the size of the picture so that it's within the limits of the forum (for my camera I have to reduce it to 25% original size). Save it somewhere and then click on the 'attachments' option when you type a post... and find it again... That's just how I do it, I'm sure others can do a better job of explaining things...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal