We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Orchis, Ophrys and others 2013  (Read 18922 times)

SteveC2

Re: Orchis, Ophrys and others 2013
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »
The things we do on this forum!  I've just been outside into the pitch black to measure my three laxiforas.  One at 43 cm is just opening so there is potential for a few more cm yet.  The other "normal" laxiflora is at 56cm and I don't expect any more growth.  My laxiflora elegans is certainly living up to its name, 83 cm with a few flowers to open.  I have an old Crittal greenhouse with quite steeply sloping sides and the tip of the flower spike is scraping the roof.  Looks like it will have to move onto the centre stage (an old piece of staging squeezed into the middle) to give it a bit more head room.  So yes there is immense variation!

The problem with the sticky traps is that they catch the good critters as well.  I'm banned from using them by she who will be obeyed ever since an orange tip butterfly met its end on one.  No arguments from me, I'll stick to a paint brush and soapy water.  I have an Acer brilliantissimum next to one greenhouse and there must be 200 aphids on the underside of every leaf so I'm expecting an invasion very soon!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:26:57 PM by SteveC2 »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
The things we do on this forum!  I've just been outside into the pitch black to measure my three laxifloras. 

;D ;D   I know, we must be mad - I've been out at midnight before now to see the temperature.... quite crazy!  But it's all useful information! :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »
Now that is tall. Maybe mine are in pots that are too small? Mine get full light every day
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Maggi that's why my thermometer is stuck to the glass

SteveC2

« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »
Mine are in 4" terracotas which are plenty big enough given the tiny root system that these develop.  They get as much light as the Lincolnshire sky will allow which this year has been precious little.  I saw laxiflora flowering on the Alcudia marshes on Majorca last year and they were right next to the ditch system in an area that must have been very damp.  I knew that they liked it damp so I have grown them in a tray with a little standing water throughout the winter (way below the actual plant) and they have loved it, growing bigger and flowering better than ever.  I even keep them relatively damp in dormancy.  It seems to be working for me.

K Andrzejewski

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »
I saw laxiflora flowering on the Alcudia marshes on Majorca last year ...
- are you sure, that you saw Anacamptis laxiflora??
Habitat the same, only orchids a bit different.
Kristof

SteveC2

« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »
O.K. I saw what the locals call Orchis (Anacamptis) robusta, but even the arch splitter Delforge seems to cast doubt on this being a genuinely separate species.  I loosely quote, "Reported in Majorca, the Algiers region, and a site in Morocco, and also Crete.  This taxon probably groups together a heterogeneous assemblage of robust large flowered individuals."  Now as a robust large individual myself, I reckon I'm still part of the human species, so in my humble opinion being a big laxiflora doesn't make you a different species.  Other books refer to it as a subspecies of laxiflora so I don't think I'm wrong when I say that I saw laxiflora.
The marshes are part of a nature reserve and all the laxiflora had been hand pollinated then little white tags had been attached, making photographs a little difficult.  As did the fact that I'm a good boy and did not cross the tape that had been set up to prevent trampling by not such good boys.

p.s typing this at exactly 2.00 p.m. having been woken by the mother of all thunderstorms.  What is happening to the weather?  Oh well it fills the water butts. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:20:36 AM by SteveC2 »

K Andrzejewski

« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »
Previously it was only one species with 2 subspecies:
- Anacamptis laxiflora subsp. laxiflora (unspotted lip)
- Anacamptis laxiflora subsp.palustris (spotted lip)
I agree with you that both are very simillar to each other - but with good differences to be a separate species, with visible distinctive marks and also genetically. They are 3 subspecies of laxiflora, and also 3 of palustris, one of them is robusta:
http://www.pharmanatur.com/Baleares/Orchis%20robusta.htm
I don't remember now, but about 5-6 years ago Orchid-Friends from Spain collected signatures across Europe for a petition to the government to stop immediately plans for the next "investments" (hotels, golf course etc.) and save this marshes.
Kristof

P.S.
- for the most part there are many routes to the same destination and we must all find our own- and respect the paths taken by others struggling on the same pilgrimage!
... it was only simply question
Will these shrink a bit?
and now I'm not tolerant??? ......
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:06:16 AM by K Andrzejewski »

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
Hi Maggi,
treat yourself to a (or some)  Min/max thermometer(s). Then you don't have to venture out at midnight to see how cold it is. Actually, from experience, it tends to get colder after midnight. You wouldn't like to get up and out at 03:00 to be on the safe side?? ;) ;) ;)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »
Maggi that's why my thermometer is stuck to the glass

Mark

Those type thermometers are not showing the correct temperature as they are picking up heat loss from the building, which will raise the external temperature just outside the building.  You need to get a Wi-Fi one.

Maren the coldest part of the day is usually 1 hour before dawn
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »
Never thought of that Neil. So I need a wifi one with the probe among the plants

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
Over night my A. laxifloa has done some growing which has allowed the flowers to reflex

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi Maggi,
treat yourself to a (or some)  Min/max thermometer(s). Then you don't have to venture out at midnight to see how cold it is. Actually, from experience, it tends to get colder after midnight. You wouldn't like to get up and out at 03:00 to be on the safe side?? ;) ;) ;)
To my shame, I've done that too, on occasion - now I am working on my sleep problems, I hope to get past such folly!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
One of the last Ophrys today - O. lacaitae.

Alex

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
Hi Alex,

Where did you get this Ophrys? I had never seen it on the market before, and would not mind one ....

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal