We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops and cake 2013, Sun March 3rd at Benington Lordship  (Read 7193 times)

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
Re: Snowdrops and cake 2013, Sun March 3rd at Benington Lordship
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone for bringing lots of tasty things and drops, very lucky with the weather again  :)

Just got back from watching the Eagle Owl & about to tuck into Chris's cake, will message everyone in May to arrange a date in June for chipping.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Thank you for a lovely afternoon Richard.  I am glad you got to see the Eagle Owl at last.

I'm just back from Jennie's and about to start on the blog from yesterday afternoon.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
Thank you so much for hosting Richard - it was a lovely day and I really enjoyed it. Great soup too! I'll sort through my photos later but just going to round up my ducks....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
"Eagle Owl" - What ? a real eagle owl?   :o
That would  put snowdrops, cake AND soup in the shade........
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisD

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »
Thanks Richard - what a lovely day. Great food, lovely people, and the gardens looking superb in the sunshine. I will sort my photos and post some of the better ones later in the week. And a big thank you to everyone whose drops I went home with, just got to find somewhere in the garden for them now.

Yes it is apparently an escaped eagle owl, but a real one! About the only thing Richard didnt manage to organise was for it to appear and have its photo taken :D :D :D

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
Yes it is apparently an escaped eagle owl, but a real one! About the only thing Richard didnt manage to organise was for it to appear and have its photo taken :D :D :D
Bless my soul - what next?

We had a  lovely sunny day here so I was hoping it would be a god day for Snowdrops and Cake- great you all had a good time.

RichardW

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
Eagle Owl Might be an escape but it's still an amazing sight, and sound! and very approachable, don't know how anyone is going to capture it.

Very lucky with the weather, everything was frozen first thing and really didn't think anything was going to open at all. Forgot to say thank you for sorting the plates/saucers out, only been in the box for a year  :-[

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »
Thanks Richard for a lovely day - it was lovely to see the gardens again - they look so neat and perfectly clipped and reminded me how much work I have to do in the garden here!  Thanks to Chris and Gail for the snowdrops, they will planted in the garden tomorrow and will always be a nice reminder of snowdrop friends - I love my swap and gift plants more than any of the others.  I will sort a list of snowdrops I can spare in about a month.

Chris that cake was delicious and I have hidden the piece you gave me to have with a cuppa later in bed!  Yet to try Ali & Gail's but they look delicious.  Richard the soup was the best I have tasted in a long time.

It is so pretty where Richard lives in a lovely row of old cottages on a village green complete with a church - so picturesque.....and a doddle to get to work!

Not only did we have a great day looking at snowdrops but we had Victor in our company who is an expert on wild birds - I will be looking for a 'terraced house' for the sparrows this week  ;)  Great to see everyone and thanks for the lift Arthur, as always.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

RichardW

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »
Thanks Jennie, please send me your list when ready.

As always (in case i missed someone) if anyone saw anything they want let me know, am back to work on 25th and have at least a weeks lifting/splitting to do so can send them then.

Ali K

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
Thanks for a lovely day Richard, as always it's great to spend time with lovely people in beautiful surroundings. Thanks for the lovely soup and the snowdrop cups and saucers etc., I shall look after them. I agree with Jenny, the garden looked so neat and tidy unlike my tatty little patch back home.

Thanks to everyone else for the marvellous cake, scones and conversation. Also, thanks to Chris for the drops - already planted!

Wish I'd seen the Eagle Owl but really pleased you got to see it at last Richard, hope you get that lucky tiger spotting on your hols.

Ali

RichardW

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »
Hoping to try and photograph the owl this week, glad the cups have found a good home  :)

Just been sat in the garden with a lump of your cake, which makes a delicious and very healthy  ;D breakfast snack, a fair swap.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Richard

Last as usual some would say.

A really excellent day - thanks for laying on the sunshine - a bonus considering the forecast.

The snowdrops were at their best.  How you manage to keep such a vast area looking so good puts me to shame with my small garden - and then there is the chipping of snowdrops etc etc.

You deserve your break in Nepal and I hope the weather is kind to you and you see some wondeful things.  a travelogue when you have time would be appreciated by us all.

Could not finish without repeating what others have said - excellent company, excellent cakes AND cheese scones (we all learnt about Keens cheese) and best of all the most delicious soup.

Many many thanks Richard.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

RichardW

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
Thanks Arthur,

Will be keeping a diary as I travel so will post something with pics when I get back.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »
Oh,  a trip to Nepal? When tigers were mentioned, after the eagle owl and  there is a walrus in the Orkney Islands at the moment,   I thought Richard was contemplating a break on the Isle of Wight.... ...................

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
 :) 8) :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal