We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: CGS Snowdrop Event  (Read 5134 times)

JacquelineJ

CGS Snowdrop Event
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Had a wonderful day today with fellow Galanthophiles at the CGS Snowdrop event.

Carol Klein was filming for Gardeners World, March 2013 and chatted with us as we waited for the doors to open at 10am.  Apparently it is usually a more relaxed affair but they wanted a crowd waiting outside to add to the excitement they were creating for the programme.

Inside I didn't feel there was a scrum at all. It was very relaxed and polite, no sharpened elbows were necessary.  The talks by Rod Leeds and Joe Sharman were both interesting and informative.

Chas did a piece to camera with Carol so we may see him on screen next month. Will he still speak to us once he's famous  ;D  Along with Chas and his wife Janet I also met Steve Owen, Alanb, Rob a lurker  ;) Wol and Sue and of course Joe and I acquired my hearts desire 'Ecusson d'Or'  Ray Cobb and the very fragrant Straffan.

After our lunch Chas and Janet very kindly took me to Kingston Bagpuize where we succumbed to yet another plant stall. I bought Cyclamen Coum to set off my snowdrops and Chas bought miniature Iris.  The garden tour was enhanced by the wonderful mild temperature and warm sun on our backs. 
Thanks Chas, Janet and Rob for your company today :) Look forward to seeing you next week at the RHS Halls!
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: CGS Snowdrop Event
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
It was nice to meet you, Jacqueline.  I found a very nice-looking elwesii in the garden at Kingston Bagpuize and managed to draw it to the attention of the owner.  It had a green inverted heart-shaped marking on the outer petals; reminiscent of some of the Trym derivatives.  The owner (Virginia Grant?) thought it might be similar to another of their snowdrop finds, "Bagpuize Elizabeth", but as that one wasn't in flower yet we could not make a comparison.  I don't suppose anyone has a picture of that one?  I'll post my picture when I can.
Almost in Scotland.

JacquelineJ

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
@Alan, well that's exciting!!  Was it in that area opposite the Church?

Unfortunately I didn't photograph 'Bagpuize Elizabeth"  I only took "Marlie Raphael"
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »
Yes a very pleasant day and good to meet you Jacqueline,also Maxine
Many other forum users were there also,and now look forward to Vincent Square on Tuesday,where I think forum members and lurkers will be in abundance
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:11:41 PM by chasw »
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »
I will be there on Tuesday  ;D
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Ding Dong

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
Great to meet you too Chas and Mrs Chas :) We had a great day, and thanks to Toby Jarvis and Pamela Lucas for organising such a lovely day ;)
Owner of the world's angriest geese - with scars to prove it! Works for Avon Bulbs

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
Here's the elwesii I found at Kingston Bagpuize.  To avoid trampling on other snowdrops I had to take the photo with my camera held at arms length.  Now that I can see the photo enlarged, I don't find it quite as pretty as I remember it.  But it's stil not bad, assuming it survives and continues to do the same thing year-on-year.
Almost in Scotland.

Mavers

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
Looking forward to more pictures if you have any.............
Mike
Somerset, UK

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
Here's Carol Klein filming interviews with the people waiting in the queue for the event to open.
Almost in Scotland.

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »
Carol should wear one of Emma's hats!

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the man running the plant stall at Kingston Bagpuize on the CGS day?  I mean the stall outside the house itself.  His face was familiar and he was particularly helpful but I cannot think of his name, if indeed I know it.
Almost in Scotland.

Ding Dong

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
Don't know his name Alan, but I thought somebody said he was from a local Garden Centre??
Owner of the world's angriest geese - with scars to prove it! Works for Avon Bulbs

steve owen

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
The gentleman I usually encounter is Mrs Grant's regular gardener John (second name unknown).
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »
Tonight Gardeners World starts again.
Maybe we can see the report on the snowdrop event with some forumists being interviewed. ;D ;D

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
Looking likely Lina as the icon for tonight's program on iPlayer is a double snowdrop

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal