We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: CGS Snowdrop Event  (Read 5136 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Re: CGS Snowdrop Event
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
Oh no  :o lets hope that I end up on the cutting room  floor,thought of all the things that I should have said...........................................afterwards
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

JacquelineJ

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
I think you're going to be starring in this film chasw ;D
Totally obsessed with Snowdrops
Gardening in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »
What a disappointment! No interview with Chasw, no other forumists (or did I miss them?).

Carol should dig a little deeper in this subject!!

But I should not complain too much, because in Holland the programms are only very commercial and not even close to the level of Gardeners World.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
I'm there, picking myself up some nice gracilis Yamanlar from the end of Sue and Wol's table.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »
But blink and you'll miss me! Ridiculous that they were there all day filming and interviewing people and that's all they used!

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
Yes! I found you. Thanks Martin.
I still think the fragment was too short.
I would have liked to see a little more of the stand and the visiters.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Ding Dong

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »
Typical BBC, what a disappointment. After all that hype with filming the queue, etc. I'm not sure where that programme is going anymore!
Owner of the world's angriest geese - with scars to prove it! Works for Avon Bulbs

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 05:37:10 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01r7246/?t=17m02s

That was short!

But I was pleased to learn that you can put   t=17m02s   at the end of the iplayer link to go straight to that point in the show. 

Thanks Martin.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »
Curious that at 17.10 they say "Galanthophiles go to great lengths to secure their favourite snowdrop" the picture zooms in on Leucojum  ::) ::)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
After the long shot of Wol's sales table (featuring Martin) (with Rod Leeds in the background?) we see a left handed man in a North Face jacket picking up a snowdrop.  I think that is at Joe Sharman's sales table, judging by the out-of-focus Eranthis.  Then back to a left-handed man handing notes to Wol's left hand.  This was presumably shot from around where Martin was standing since Wol is now on the other side of the sales table (i.e. right-of-shot). 
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
That was short!

But I was pleased to learn that you can put   t=17m02s   at the end of the iplayer link to go straight to that point in the show. 

Thanks Martin.

John, when the programme is playing on iplayer on the small screen (not full screen) there's a button to click below the screen that says "Link to this". When you click it, you get two options - one to link to the start of the programme and the other to link to your current position (time) in the programme. Click the one for current position then click on "copy the link" and paste into the place you want the link to go (in this case in the SRGC forum post). Clicking on the link in the forum then takes you straight to the point you were at in the iplayer replay of the programme. Simples!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:42:35 AM by Martin Baxendale »

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
I wonder why it is that the BBC can produce such wonderful Natural History programmes on occasions and yet seems to have such a complete inability to regard plants with the same panache and sensibility (if those two aren't opposites) - at some point the dam must burst and we must get programmes on plants that see them in a more imaginative and personal light.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
They seemed more interested in spouting endless cliches and daft wikipedia-style "facts" (e.g. - apparently bees are lured into snowdrop flowers to pollinate them because it's warmer inside the flowers than outside. Really?!) than actually allowing the people at the snowdrop day who know what they're talking about to properly inform the viewers.

And the whole tone of the programme these days is just so saccharine sweet, twee and patronising, as if the producers feel that the viewers need to be constantly made to feel all warm and fuzzy and loved by the lovely, lovely warm and cuddly and ever so friendly presenters, and that's more important than the gardening. It's like being smothered in warm honey.

(And for your information, Carol Klein, it's only warmer inside a winter flower than outside when the flower is CLOSED, that being the reason that winter flowers close in cold weather, to help protect the reproductive parts from freezing - when the flowers are open and bees being attracted to them for pollination, it's no warmer inside them than out).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:16:59 PM by Martin Baxendale »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
I wonder why it is that the BBC can produce such wonderful Natural History programmes on occasions and yet seems to have such a complete inability to regard plants with the same panache and sensibility

I believe it's something to do with the crew that puts the programmes together, if Gardeners' World were to be handed over to the Natural History department we might get some sense on it.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal