We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014  (Read 18763 times)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Re: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
A very lovely and floriferous plant Roma!
And really nicely grown.
Lyon / FRANCE

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
This year I've been lucky enough with Tr Sessilifolium seedlings.
They're just having a few flowers. These are really "huge" compared with the leaf size.
Don't know whether they'll produce a tuber...
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
Tropaeolum Smithii  growing on my balcony in a small pot and offering a few ( wonderful ) flowers
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
Great plant J-P.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Well done J-P.  I couldn't get this to germinate but must try again.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

baby2080

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »
Very beautiful , JP, I used to follow you in flicker. 8)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
Many thanks Maggi, Ashley & Baby2080...
This year will bring another great reward: after many trials and failures Tr CILIATUM & Tr SPECIOSUM have been established at LYON BG ( and on my balcony! ) This is mainly due to the very special weather we've had since last autumn. The plants are growing freely ( and are invading their unfortunate neighbours in my containers ). I only hope they'll withstand next summer...
Tr CILIATUM is the first in bloom
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
Another young Tropaeolum seedling. The very last one for this year. It bears strangely coloured flowers with a large tint of green.
This is a hybrid raised from the seed exchange ( labelled as Tr Beuthii ).
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Steven McFarlane

• Tropaeolum 2001
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »
Hi

I thought that you might like to see a few pictures of T. pentaphyllum ssp. megapetalum.  I have been trying to grow this plant for many, many years. Last year from seed it produced a few poor flowers and a large tuber.

452805-0

This year the tuber has produced a fine plant with many flowers.

452811-1

452807-2

452809-3

I am now hoping that it will produce some seed.

Steven
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:20:59 PM by Steven McFarlane »
Steven McFarlane  Milngavie near Glasgow Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »
Cracking flowers and the tuber is pretty impressive too.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »

I'm coming back to Tropaeolum now after a break; I had a few disappointments when my Tr. brachyceras, raised lovingly from seed and kept going for many years all rotted and I lost the tubers. I also lost my Tr. azureum, germinated the seed I collected last year and grew a couple of good sized tubers, kept those tubers healthy over autumn/winter in sand and had very nice plants growing and producing flower buds when a rogue cockatoo knocked the pot to the ground and smashed both plants off at ground level! So yes, I've had some bad luck. I think I've recovered from the shock of these disasters and I'm ready to start building the collection again.

Fermi, if you read this; your friend who has the beautiful ciliatum in her garden, she ought to consider keeping and handling the seedlings as they pop up. It's such a lovely thing I would love to have it here. If she ever does have seedlings or even tubers could you pass on my details to her and I would buy them from her.

Steven and J-P, is the Tr. pentaphyllum ssp. megapetalum going to be offered in the next SRGC Seed exchange? ;)

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2014, 11:10:04 PM »
I wonder if I'm Fermi's friend (yes) to whom you refer Jupiter, with the T. ciliatum in her garden (yes, but no). We moved house back in February 2013 and I was quite careful NOT to bring T. ciliatum. OK, so it is very pretty in bloom but is savagely rampant, or was for me, clambering over not only the fence where it was planted, but out into the wider world over perennials, rhodos and many other things, a disaster in the making really. I did bring some seed with me because a couple of people had requested it but that has gone now. While I admit it was attractive, I never want to see it again!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
You don't have to wonder, Lesley! ;D
Jamus,
I think you're referring to my friend Cathy in Macedon as I posted a pic from her garden - last year?
I'll ask her if she still has it,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I'm coming back to Tropaeolum now after a break; I had a few disappointments when my Tr. brachyceras, raised lovingly from seed and kept going for many years all rotted and I lost the tubers. I also lost my Tr. azureum, germinated the seed I collected last year and grew a couple of good sized tubers, kept those tubers healthy over autumn/winter in sand and had very nice plants growing and producing flower buds when a rogue cockatoo knocked the pot to the ground and smashed both plants off at ground level! So yes, I've had some bad luck. I think I've recovered from the shock of these disasters and I'm ready to start building the collection again.

Fermi, if you read this; your friend who has the beautiful ciliatum in her garden, she ought to consider keeping and handling the seedlings as they pop up. It's such a lovely thing I would love to have it here. If she ever does have seedlings or even tubers could you pass on my details to her and I would buy them from her.

Steven and J-P, is the Tr. pentaphyllum ssp. megapetalum going to be offered in the next SRGC Seed exchange? ;)

Hi Jamus,
Yours is quite a sad story but it happened to me several times. I think one can never be sure to keep a Tropaeolum tuber forever. One day it rots and we wonder why, having done nothing special. This is a real catastrophy when it's a rare species which can't be replaced. I sow seeds each year in order to be able to face these unpredictable losses. But sometimes seeds don't grow or don't produce any tuber...and with rare ones seed stock is often limited. For instance the Tr Brachyceras I grew this year mostly had sterile flowers. So no seed to replace in case the tuber rots...
Referring to Tr Pentaphyllum ssp megapetalum: I also grow this one but my plant started later than Steven's one. And it's not in bloom yet. So I doubt I'll harvest any seed. And I don't know whether I'll take part to the seed exchange from now on.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
Thanks fermi. Ciliatum looks like it might do well for me in my garden, and I'm young enough and fit enough (dumb enough?) to not be put off by the prospect of chasing seedlings all around the garden!

Lesley you sent me seeds once before but none germinated. Typical of tropaeolum, isn't it? Fickle mistresses.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal