We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014  (Read 18760 times)

Melvyn Jope

Re: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »
I would advise great caution with  T.ciliatum, I very much regret ignoring the advice to keep it contained in a pot. Having planted it in the garden it is a complete thug here, perfectly hardy and with roots which form tubers growing at quite a depth underground making it impossible to get rid of. Shoots now come up about 5 metres away in all directions from the original plant.

PeterT

« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2014, 02:06:36 PM »
Apologies for not managing to take part in the forum for some time.
I am sowing some old seeds which I was given, among them is a packet labeled "Tropaeoleum pubescens var pubescens Aloag/ Tandepi 2600m. 29.7.93"
The seeds are quite angular with points on them. Can any one advise what the plant might be please?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
Kew plantlist syas that name is a synonym of  :
 Tropaeolaceae  Tropaeolum pubescens Kunth   publ. Nov. Gen. Sp. [H.B.K.] 5: 251 [quarto]. 1821

Distribution: Loja (Ecuador, Western South America, Southern America)
Collector(s):  F.W.H.A.Humboldt 3325

....which I admit doesn't get us very far! I'm looking to see if the published paper is online.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

PeterT

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Thanks Maggie, Im really needing to know if it is an annual, woodlander or a screeplant, the seed is very old but it seems obscure enough to be interesting and might be worth sowing.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
Haven't even found that info yet, Peter! Are you rehydrating the seed? It'll be a tad on the dry side after all this time, I expect  :)

PeterT

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »
I am about to sow 80 pots of Alstroemeria, I'm in the middle of 120 pots of Allium seeds. then Tulips, Colchicums...... Unfortunately they will only  be soaked when they are planted because of lack of time. I wish I could soak each lot and then plant but it is not practical. I hope that there will be time, before winter, for warmth to initiate germination.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
From an  French  paper from 1967 it appears it is  perennia - it is said to be part of  the Serrato-ciliata  group (Hughes1922)
Part paper here :
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4113568?uid=3738032&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21104660914737   

Small pix of herb pages here :

http://plants.jstor.org/search?plantName=Tropaeolum+pubescens&

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Hi Peter,
Tropaeolum pubescens is probably annual ( as supposed in Sparre's & Andersson's monography ). It is pilose ( as indicated by its name ). Flowers are small ( 25-35 mm long ). The spur is orange-red. The calyx is greenish. Petals are ciliate and blackish blue. They are not much exceeding the calyx lobes.
This species has been in cultivation in the UK many years ago and has ( apparently ) disappeared.
Graham Buchanan-Dunlop who previously had the national UK tropaeolum collection grew it from seed ( got from J. Archibald ). He distributed cuttings but unfortunately lost the plant. Apparently no one has been able to give one back to him. I know he would be very interested in growing this species again ( I confess I also would... ). He took pictures of his plant. I have one but can't post it without permission. ( it has been published in the Tropaeolum newsletter n°14 / The Geraniaceae group publications ).
I don't have Graham's details. He lives in Scotland in a new house. I'm sure he would be pleased to tell what he knows about this rare species.
Maggi, maybe you know him?
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
He is an SRGC member- and  Ian and I have had contact with him in the past- but only by post if I remember correctly.

PeterT

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
Thankyou for your research Maggie  :) And thankyou Jean-Patrick for the information. I was going to sow them now but I assume that they will be better sown in the Spring?

Jean- Patrick, my packet has enough to share between three and is from Jim Archibalds seed room - with his own hand writing on it, I think. When I reach it  again I will contact you. (It is in a box of seed packets ready to be sown.)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
I have now found a phone number for Graham Buchanan-Dunlop  -so I may try to phone tomorrow to see if he will be willing for J-P to  show  his photo of the plant etc.

There is no mention of this plant in any of the Archibald seedlists, by the way so it does not seem to have been officially offered by Jim and Jenny .

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:59:28 PM by Maggi Young »

PeterT

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:20 AM »
Good work Maggie!
I am sure that Jim could not offer every seed that came his way, small volume, poor quality, lackof time..... many seeds which he might have grown or received from his many contacts would never have enterd his sales list. I think that this packet (over 20 years old) contains about ten seeds.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »
Hi Peter, following this thread it occurred to me that your seed may be barely viable after ten years. Perhaps a soak in 0.1% bleach and sown into something sterile would be advisable if they are as precious as I think they might be... You don't want to lose them to a common soil microbe if germination is sluggish and growth may be feeble. Please keep us posted, I too am interested in seeing pictures of this lesser known Trop.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
I have just had a chat with Graham B-D.  He is going to send me some notes he has on the plant. He received five seeds of it in 1993:  only one germinated. It is the same collection  as Peter's packet, noted by Graham as being made at  8500ft  in Ecuador.   

It grew for some years into quite a robust plant and proved amenable to grow from cuttings, tho' Graham does not  at the moment recall getting any seed.

Graham was kind enough to say he had no objections at all to J-P  sharing his photo of the plant on the forum.  8)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
Here is a copy of Graham Buchanan-Dunlop's notes, as promised :

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal