We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014  (Read 18757 times)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Re: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2014, 06:52:06 PM »
Hi,
Tropaeolum TUBEROSUM beginnig to bloom at Lyon BG. The November weather is surpisingly fine here so we might expect some more...
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
These plants are making the most of the mild weather - quite right too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
I think we might begin this new tropaeolum year with the warm colours of tropaeolum peltophorum. A sea of flowers...brightening the winter days!
This species is at its peak by now trying to reach the top of the glass house at Lyon's BG.
Enjoy!
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
A cheerful sight for January, JP!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2015, 08:58:14 PM »

A question from a USA member : "One of the seeds I ordered ( from the Seed Ex. ) is Tropaeolum polyphyllum, which I have hopes will be hardy in the soil of my rock garden here in Boulder, Colorado. 

I know it will establish a tuber up to 100 cm deep.  Do you think I can stratify and start it outdoors in a deep (5”) seed plug cell, then transplant into ground next fall (or Spring 2016)?  Or would I be best sowing seed at desired site with a gravel mulch and letting it start to establish its deep rooting structure there? "

Who can give Kevin advice on growing this Trop. on Colorado?

Graham Buchanan-Dunlop

« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
I usually sow seeds of Tropaeolum polyphyllum[i] in deep pots (6 inches minimum or as deep as you like) with the seeds about an inch below the soil surface. I sit the pots outside for the winter, protected from birds and mice.  On germination, the roots rush to the bottom of the pot and, with luck, form small tubers there.  Sometimes the tubers form actually in the drainage holes of the pot, which can mean cutting up the pot to extract them.  When the seedlings go dormant, these small tubers can be planted out or potted on into larger pots to grow on for a further season or two.  I have never yet tried sowing seed directly into the open ground, but there is no reason why this should not work perfectly well as long as there is sufficient depth of soil for the roots to develop (yes, they can go down one metre) and it is well-drained.   The important thing to remember is that, though this species can cope with conditions 10,000 feet up in the Andes, the tubers cannot tolerate frost, therefore tubers must be planted deeply and tubers grown in pots must be adequately protected through the winter. The seeds, however, seem to benefit by stratification.  I  hope this is helpful. T.polyphyllum is a wonderful species, so good luck.           Graham.

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
Tropaeolum pentaphyllum var megapetalum showing some flowers at Lyon BG.
...but not the same display as Steven's!
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal