We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014  (Read 18776 times)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Re: Tropaeolum 2013- 2014
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
A wonderful hybrid Tropaeolum which has probably Tr BEUTHII in its parentage ( see the curved spur ).
Orange flowers are quite uncommon with the Chilean species.
Unfortunately the plants seems to be sterile...
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
Young Tr Sessilifolium seedlings
Last year's ones unfortunately didn't produce any tuber. Maybe this time they'll do?
Seeds have been sown early september and germinated in november. The pot have been kept outside on my balcony.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Clayton

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2014, 09:07:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions for you experienced Tropaeolum growers. Just wondering, first, has anyone ever heard of (or performed) a successful cross between some of the South American tropaeolums (such as tricolor, brachyceras, hookerianum, pentaphyllum) with the garden variety T, majus or T. minus? I wonder if it is even possible. (They may not have the same chromosome numbers, but I cannot seem to find any published chromosome counts, except for T. majus, which is 28.)

Second, my T. tricolor is growing so rambunctiously... I can't believe the speed with which it climbs! And it is forming teeny, tiny, wee little flowers. I realize that I have seen lots of photographs of the gorgeous blooms, but perhaps I overestimated their actual size. Will those little 3mm buds continue to swell and grow to larger size, or are the blossoms actually very petite? Just curious if anyone has a photo of the tricolor flowers next to a ruler or coin for size comparison?

Thanks very much, and hoping you are all enjoying beautiful days in your parts of the world... On this first day of spring, I THINK the nasty cold and snow of the so-called "polar vortex" are finally in retreat!

Clayton
"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."
        —Janet Killburn Phillips

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »
Our trop. tricolorum are just budding up right now, Clayton - but I estimate that a fully grown , open flower is around 3cm long and around 1cm at the widest point. So, not big - but with such a vivid colour banding, they don't need to be too big to be  REALLY noticeable!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »
And they flower in SHEETS of bloom so quite spectacular even if the individuals are not large. The colouring is so good too. I don't have it now though I know I brought it with me when we moved 13 months ago but there has been no sign of it. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Clayton

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »
Thanks Maggi and Lesley. I'm anxious for it to bloom... I know the flowers will be beautiful, regardless of their size. I was just so surprised when I saw such miniscule little buds forming. I'll keep an eye on them, but it will surprise me if they ever reach 3cm in size! Maybe because it is a young plant. Perhaps they will also be a little bigger next year, once it's better established. You mention the "sheets" of blooms, Lesley. In photos I've seen, they always remind me of schools of fish swimming together!

As for my other question, has anyone ever heard of a hybrid between T. majus and one of the more exotic varieties, such as T. tricolor?

Clayton
        —Janet Killburn Phillips

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
Well great oaks from little buds grow Clayton, or something like that. ;D

I shouldn't be here, Have to be 40 mins away, in 20 mins :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:53 PM »
I shouldn't be here, Have to be 40 mins away, in 20 mins :o
I hope Lesley has done what I would have done in those circumstances - leapt on my broomstick and made it in time for the appointment!!  ;) ;) ;D [ Specified attachment is not available ]

I took these quite awful photos of the most well-developed bud on a Trop. tricolorum here - it still has a bit of expanding to do before the flower is ready to open - you can see, even through my  fuzzy pic that the mouth is tightly closed - but,  they do give an idea  of the size - which is pretty much exactly as I guessed before.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:58:45 PM by Maggi Young »

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks Maggi and Lesley. I'm anxious for it to bloom... I know the flowers will be beautiful, regardless of their size. I was just so surprised when I saw such miniscule little buds forming. I'll keep an eye on them, but it will surprise me if they ever reach 3cm in size! Maybe because it is a young plant. Perhaps they will also be a little bigger next year, once it's better established. You mention the "sheets" of blooms, Lesley. In photos I've seen, they always remind me of schools of fish swimming together!

As for my other question, has anyone ever heard of a hybrid between T. majus and one of the more exotic varieties, such as T. tricolor?

Clayton

I don't know of any such hybridization. Tr majus & Tr Minus are not chilean species. As you think they might not have the same genetic material. And they don't share similar leaf shape.
JP 
Lyon / FRANCE

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »
Here's another picture of a Hybrid Tr brachyceras.
The thin long spur is not part of the taxonomic description of Tr brachyceras. It is probably inherited from Tr tricolor or tr beuthii.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »
2nd flush of flowers for Tr HUIGRENSE at Lyon's BG
The flowers are strangely bigger and more widely open than the previous ones. This might be related to exceptionnal sunlight since the beginning of the month.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 11:26:48 PM »

Clayton

I've not heard of such a thing Clayton, but when I get T. tricolor again (which I'm hoping to do quite soon) I'll try it both as pollen and seed parent, with the majus form 'Empress of India' of which at present I have 1 cupful of seed. (Would you like some? Would anyone like some?) I can't imagine what it would be like but surely it would be spectacular if the pollination took successfully. :D

We grow the so-called "nasturtiums" as annuals generally because they are tender but they are, in the right place, perennial plants and this is evident here now because the plants which have seeded so well are all coming away at the base and growing bushy again with their lovely blue-black leaves. I hope to keep them going through the winter ahead, other circumstances permitting.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:28:35 PM by Lesley Cox »

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
A beautiful tropaeolum hybrid raised this year.
Seeds were labelled " gracilia yellow " hybrid. They were supposed to be spurless. No matter what happened, flowers are of a delicate yellow fading to whitish.
No pollen.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
A beautiful tropaeolum hybrid raised this year.
Seeds were labelled " gracilia yellow " hybrid. They were supposed to be spurless. No matter what happened, flowers are of a delicate yellow fading to whitish.
No pollen.
JP
A most attractive flower with subtle colouring- very pretty.

Clayton

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the measurement photo, Maggi! I'm glad to have a concrete comparison. My tricolor is blooming now, and the flowers are definitely a bit smaller than that. Interestingly, mine are also much paler, more golden-orange color than the vibrant scarlet-red I've seen in pretty much any picture. I was surprised. Anyone have any clue what would cause that? Or just a natural variation? (I'll try to post a photo later.)

Jean-Patrick, that flower is gorgeous! Such an elegant, pale color--and that faint blush at the edge of the petals really sets them off!

Now that my tricolor is blooming... but none of my other ones are... how do I save pollen to make some experimental crosses when the other ones bloom? I wondered what any of you might have tried in the past. Refrigeration? Freeze? How long does it stay viable? Curious for any suggestions!

Clayton
        —Janet Killburn Phillips

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal