We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4732 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: March 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
Otto- a few square inches of that would be pretty striking!

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
Hoy I should imagine that no self respecting Meconopsis would even grow here. At least the Habranthus will give  the weedy Romulea a run for its money. We all have our own weedy plants.

Well, sometimes I think other peoples weeds are prettier than mine ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:26:02 AM »
Otto,

My Rhodophiala bifida from Ferny Creek looks like it's just starting to send up a flower bud. Hopefully it will bloom well now that the continuous days of 30°C+ heat have come to an end (thank goodness).  :)
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:54 AM »
No Rhodophialas out here either!
More autumn blooms:
Lycoris elsae
A white Amaryllis belladonna hybrid
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 04:18:24 AM »
I thought when the first flower came out on a belladonna in the garden that it was pure white but then the pink came to the edges as the flower aged. It is growing in a lot of shade.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

anita

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:57 AM »
Hi,
Rhodophiala bifida are blooming on the Adelaide plains.. in fact they were blooming in February, the attached photo was taken on February 21. Odd little story to go with these bulbs.. I bought three bulbs from Drewitts bulbs back in 09, I've had one flower scape a year and just leaves from the other two bulbs. This year all three bulbs flowered and produced two scapes each. Now I'm wondering whether I had different bulbs flower each year but assumed because of their proximity that the same bulb flowered while the others sulked. Anyway this year was great. A random feather blew onto the lawn while the bulbs were flowering so I transferred the pollen.. and now there is seed setting for the first time!
And this is cheating a little... because I didn't get a chance to post in February here are a couple of others that bloomed then Amarine and Lycoris (supposed to be aurea but I'm not sure - they certainly are the brightest of yellows) and a few blooming now Sternbergia lutea and two colchicium species (again these are common in old Adelaide gardens but I'm not certain of the species. I think Colchium 1 is byzantium and 2 is agrippinum).
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

anita

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »
Continuing post .. to add Colchicium pics
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »
Hi,

Apologies for breaking the flow of flowers. Couldn't resist showing the snake I trod on in January. Finally caught him lurking by the sternbergias. Just knelt down to pollinate the little blighters and out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of Mr Tiger slipping away along the line of the boxes. Thank God it was going away! It caught itself in some bird netting and put on a very muscular show until I called Reptile Rescue. They had to snip him out of the netting with some scissors I lent them. He turned out to be she - apparently a pregnant she!

Cheers, Marcus

arillady

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »
She is certainly a fine specimen! Glad you didn't get bitten. A friend uses bird netting to catch snakes but she also despatches them with a shotgun.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
 I would have thought snakes would be useful in keeping rodent numbers down. Having seen YouTube of mouse plagues in Oz. Killing rattlers in the US is producing populations of silent snakes, as the rattle gives them away and brings instant death.:(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Yes they probably are. I wasn't trying to get rid of it and would have left it alone except it had caught itself in the netting ... And I wasn't interested in giving it a hand to extricate itself. The snake was relocated by the guy who caught it. I think there is a lot of fear and loathing about these animals and in the bad old days people destroyed them at every opportunity. I can understand this if a snake takes up residence close to one's home and there are small children or pets about. Tassie has only 3 species and all of them are quite shy and fairly unaggressive. I may have a different view of them if I lived where Pat or Fermi are. I believe the King Brown is very aggressive and a dangerous proposition.

Cheers, Marcus

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
Hi Anita,

What are you growing the colchicums through? I ask this because Michael McCoy has a piece on his blog asking gardeners how they dealt with the problem of companion planting with these plants. Here is the link: http://thegardenist.com.au/2013/03/rsvplant/

Cheers, Marcus

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Hi Anthony,

Yes they probably are. I wasn't trying to get rid of it and would have left it alone except it had caught itself in the netting ... And I wasn't interested in giving it a hand to extricate itself. The snake was relocated by the guy who caught it. I think there is a lot of fear and loathing about these animals and in the bad old days people destroyed them at every opportunity. I can understand this if a snake takes up residence close to one's home and there are small children or pets about. Tassie has only 3 species and all of them are quite shy and fairly unaggressive. I may have a different view of them if I lived where Pat or Fermi are. I believe the King Brown is very aggressive and a dangerous proposition.

Cheers, Marcus
I realise that Marcus and was impressed you went to the trouble. My view is if you have a problem with local snakes you either live with it or move. Certain parts of the world are now over run with rats because snakes have been eradicated.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

arillady

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
Yes I say live with it ... now that the brown snake seems to have moved on out of the garden. But snakes are fascinating to watch from a safe distance. Like traveling around the pots in the pond looking for frogs or digging into clumps of kangaroo grass to find a toad to eat.
Seeing archival footage recently of mouse plagues certainly opened my eyes to how bad they can get. Also rabbit plague footage was amazing.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
What a difference a day or two makes. Oxtongue lilies emerging and being being stepped on by chooks or kangaroos.
Otto your bulb has flowered for me - lovely.
The Belladonna which ages to soft pink from a crystal clear white
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal