We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2015  (Read 37985 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: Anemone 2015
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
Anne,

you forgot these two of Taavi's Anemone's  ;) We can always arrange a swap ;)

Anemone ranunculoides 'Golden Dream'
and Anemone ranunculoides 'Papa'
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Roma

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2015, 08:35:07 PM »
Anemone nemorosa 'Kentish Pink'  for David
Anemone nemorosa 'Royal Blue'
Anemone nemorosa 'Green Fingers' x 2 this seems to have split into two distinct forms.  One has lots of flowers and sparse foliage and the other lush foliage with few flowers.  I suspect it is the disease discussed in another thread but have not got round to removing it.  It is growing among azalea roots so will be difficult to dig out.
Can anyone name this double anemone. I got it from Paul Christian many years ago but have lost the name. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

lettuce begin

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »
Beautiful photos Roma. Love the Anemone nemorosa 'Green Fingers'. :o
Cheryl England

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2015, 06:57:49 AM »
How lovely flowering anemones everyone  :). Here they are now coming up from the ground.
I have also one Taavis A.ranunculoides ('Dago') which is showing now one bud for the first time :). Most of all I like all the blue varietys of A.nemorosa.
Leena from south of Finland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
Roma - I wonder if the double white might be 'Hilda'. I haven't grown enough to compare but this is described as a neat and striking form which yours looks too. 'Green Fingers' grows a great deal better for you than it does in our garden, but it doesn't have the 'big leaf' symptoms - interesting to see it really prospering. (I can see that the woodland garden is going to come more and more into its own in the next few years with all these forms of A. nemorosa and ranunculoides, and Eranthis!).

This is an Anemone we saw at Nymans, growing in grass, last year, and there are more colourful forms with similar dark leaves. Great scope for this species to develop more in gardens!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »

Many thanks for that Roma. It may be the pink plant I saw at Knightshayes was in stronger light but it was, to my eye, a much deeper pink than 'Kentish Pink'.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
David - the colour of these purplish-pink forms tends to develop strongly as the flowers mature (they usually open white with purplish flush on the reverse) - and isn't always fully consistent from year to year (so environment must have an impact). I have a picture of 'Westwell Pink' ('Kentish Pink' I presume, unless others have been found and distributed from Kent) in a friend's garden which is even deeper coloured than your picture at Knightshayes, and there are other forms as good as this so names can become a bit redundant at times. That true pink form that Anne shows is the best pink I have seen, comparable with all those good blues that you find in the species. (There should be records at Knightshayes of what their plants are, from their trials of Anemone nemorosa? But maybe this is a seedling?).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Gunilla

« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
Can anyone name this double anemone. I got it from Paul Christian many years ago but have lost the name.

I agree with Tim that it might be 'Hilda'.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Roma

« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
I agree with Tim that it might be 'Hilda'.

Thanks Tim and Gunilla.  I must write it down before I forget. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »

This is an Anemone we saw at Nymans, growing in grass, last year, and there are more colourful forms with similar dark leaves. Great scope for this species to develop more in gardens!
An attractive form, Tim - as well as being dark, is there also  a sheen to the foliage?  Appears to be so from the photo...... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
Robin White has sent me 'Evelyn Meadows' which also has this dark foliage, and has been using this in controlled crosses, so good prospect of more of these appearing in the next few years! Yes, the leaves do have a sheen to them and maybe it is an adaptation to higher light intensities - several of these types have come from the Picos. They were growing in open grass at Nymans, not woodland.

This is a picture of a stock bed on the nursery with A. nemorosa 'Bowles Purple' and 'Westwell Pink' just colouring on the left. (Corydalis flexuosa 'Purple leaf' in the foreground). The two pictures from Lords (a garden near to us which opened for the NGS last weekend) show a marvellous naturalised area of woodland anemone and primrose under large tall trees. I would love to emulate this on a smaller scale and we have primroses self-seeding by the hundreds in the garden - the anemone would take a lot longer to establish, but we have some sizeable drifts that we could divide up to set things on the way.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
I have to show these couple of photos from Lords - not a plantsman's garden but owned by an architect with, as you would expect, a fine sense of space and proportion. The first must be one of the most impressive Tulip trees in the country, and the second two - the front door and resident woodpecker!

Final picture in our garden - A. nemorosa 'Virescens' with that loveliest of Tiarella, wherryi

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
I have found a nice spot for anemone blanda, it gets sun in the late afternoon and evening. It must like it there as it's bulking up nicely.

image by johnstephen29, on Flickr
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »

Many thanks for that Roma.

Oh, sorry I've already said thanks to Roma once, but never mind ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:57:28 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
David - the colour of these purplish-pink forms tends to develop strongly as the flowers mature (they usually open white with purplish flush on the reverse) - and isn't always fully consistent from year to year (so environment must have an impact). I have a picture of 'Westwell Pink' ('Kentish Pink' I presume, unless others have been found and distributed from Kent) in a friend's garden which is even deeper coloured than your picture at Knightshayes, and there are other forms as good as this so names can become a bit redundant at times. That true pink form that Anne shows is the best pink I have seen, comparable with all those good blues that you find in the species. (There should be records at Knightshayes of what their plants are, from their trials of Anemone nemorosa? But maybe this is a seedling?).

Tim, thanks for that. Could I clarify please are you saying that 'Kentish Pink' is sometimes sold as 'Westwell Pink' and vice versa?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal