We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2015  (Read 37914 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Anemone 2015
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
Anemone nemorosa 'Green Dream' and Milium effusum which had seeded in just the right place. :)
Leena from south of Finland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »
A very pretty combination, Leena.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Leena

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Thank you Anne. :)
The weather is so hot now (27 C in shade) that everything is going past quickly (and something new opening their buds), the spring is over.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
Anemone heldreichii opened it's first flower for the year today; will it cross with A. coronaria in the same bed?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »
That's beautiful Fermi!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
That's beautiful Fermi!
Chris, it certainly is and still flowering a month later!
Also in flower are A. coronaria (ex Iraq via Goteborg!) those this pic was taken 3 weeks ago;
and 3 different  forms of Anemone pavonina
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
Where the last two forms of Anemone pavonina are growing together in a raised bed this pink form has appeared from seed,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2014, 03:17:17 PM »
RE ANEMONE NEMOROSA CULTIVARS.
The naming of Nemorosa cultivars is a problematic issue. Names get lost and replaced and there is no register. I have lost some of mine recently due to an outbreak of the fungus that attacks them but I have some views. These views are based on my own observations and some may have other views based on their observations:

A general observation is that they are sensitive to outside influence and may look different different years.

BLUES
’Robinsoniana’ They are larger by nearly 50% and paler than all other blues i have grown. That includes ’Allenii’ from Paul Christian. My oldest were planted by my grandfather more than seventy years ago so they can well be found on Gotland in an old garden.

’Royal Blue’ is bluer and slightly smaller than all other blues.

Blue is a mutation that occurs repeatedly in the wild. They get collected and named but most are very similar. The slight variations between them are not constant from year to year.

From my experience we have only three kinds of blue: ’Robinsoniana’, ’Royal Blue’ and the Blue complex (caerula, atrocaerula, blue queen, allenii and and and)

PINKS
I find the occasional pink in the forest and i buy pinks and am given pinks by friends.  None of the pinks remains pink after transplanting into what should be congenial soil in my garden. Thus far I conclude that pinkiness is a sign of stress or other outside influences.

GREENS
Green fingers varies from year to year and from position to position.

’Monstrosa’ and ’Bracteata Plena’ are indistinguishable since both vary more from year to year than between themselves. I even had a monstrosa produce a rhizome instead of a flower.

Blue eyes never produces any blue in my place but only looks as another permutation of monstrosa.

Virescens is stable and clearly distinct from the others

I conclude that Monstrosa. Bracteata plena and blue eyes are the same unstable sport – maybe even infected by some virus or mycoplasma. ’Green fingers’ is distinct but not stable ’Virescens’ is stable and distinct.

DOUBLES
My grandfather also had a white with a central white ”ball”. It is very stable and I have identified it as ’vestal’.
According to PC ’plena’ has a less ”solid” ball in the middle but I have never seen it.
’Hilda’ seems to have unusually many petals which are slightly rectangular in shape

WHITES
There is some variation in the wild population but few cultivars are named. Van Tubergen once sold what they called ’Danish Variety’ but admitted to me that they were dug indiscriminately from wild Danish populations. ’Leeds Variety’ did not like me but was all white and consistently larger - nearly as large as Robinsoniana’ I have once found a very similar wild but unfortunately could not rescue it – It was later covered with tarmac.

EARLY-LATE
The time of flowering varies between clones but seemingly not enough to warrant naming. I once had a clone that flowered in the fall. It was very weak because it tried to grow in mid winter which is not a good idea in my climate so after a couple of years I lost it. It might have survived in the UK. 

Happy New Year
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2014, 06:58:06 AM »
I agree with most of what you say gote with the exception of Blue Eyes. I find Blue Eyes stable, it starts out as a white double and after a couple of days the blue centre develops. Also I find that the pink Tomas says the same every year, white with a pink reverse.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »
An autumnal flowering form of A. coronaria from Cyprus, as flower mature, pinkish color appears around the center.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »
Hej Göte,

Interesting what you write about Anemone nemorosa cv.
Anemone is one of my favorite genera. I have collected some but have not been so keen on separating named sorts when they are planted out. I have acquired them to increase the genetic diversity of my plants.

Regarding pink ones I agree it is  a stress symptom but also of aging. And it is big differences also among wild clones.

Here are a few pictures from wild populations: (There are some really big ones at this site!)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Leena

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
Very interesting Gote and others. I have started to collect Anemone nemorosa cultivars in past few years since they seem to like it in my garden and climate, and blue ones add nice color to the garden in May. I don't have very many yet flowering size, but I'm expecting many more flowering for the first time next spring, and it will be interesting to see if there are any differences in them. If not, I don't mind because they are all so nice anyway, and so far I don't yet have enough of them. :)

Last May I took a picture of my blue ones to compare them, I tried to take a medium size flower from each (not the largest or the smallest). All the blue ones seem to be very similar, and if I didn't know where I had planted each one, I don't know if I could tell them apart. Except the large pale blue one which I got from a friend and the name of this anemone is not sure, but can it be Robinsoniana?

Leena

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
Here are first 'Dee Day', then 'Royal Blue', and both in the same picture. Then my supposed 'Robinsoniana'.
Then later in the end of flowering Mart's Blue' in the right and 'Blue Queen' behind it, all look very much the same, but very nice. :)

Leena

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:29 AM »
Here is first 'Monstrosa', then two pictures of 'Green Dream', I think this has been stable with me and has had the same kind of flowers every year, I like this one very much.

Leena

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »
'Vestal' is also one of my favourites and I've had it for many years.
'Pink Delight' has flowered now twice and has looks distinct to me (but I should move it to somewhere else, maybe a little more moist place so it would increase better)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal