We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 18355 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: December 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »
Martin,

Metrosideros tomentosa is a synonym of Metrosideros excelsa, the pohutukawa which occurs naturally in the northen part of the North Island.  It grows in Dunedin but it is not entirely hardy. The frosts last winter killed some fairly large trees. Metrosideros umbellata, the southern rata  (Dave's plant) grows as far south as the Auckland Islands. The northern rata, Metrosideros robusta is predominantly a North island plant but extends down into the northern part of the South Island. There is another species Metrosideros bartlettii that has a very restricted distribution in the Northern part of the North Island. Only 30 individuals of this particular species have been found. The flowers of this latter species are white. There are a number of colour variations that have been selected particularly for Metrosideros excelsa and Metrosideros umbellata. I have a yellow variant of Metrosideros umbellata that does not flower particularly well and the flowers do not stand out against the foliage as well as those of the normal red form. My plant of Meterosideros umbellata is unusual in that it produces a few flowers in mid-winter (June here) and continues flowering sporadically through to summer when it produces its main flush. I grew it from a cutting of a plant that showed the same flowering behaviour.

If you want a flowering plant of any of the Metrosideros species you need to propagate them from cuttings as seed-grown material will take a long time to flower ( up to 30 years). Metrosideros umbellata (southern rata would be your best bet as I dont think Meterosideros excelsa (tomentosa ) would be hardy in the UK.

David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2007, 07:57:40 AM »
A few from the garden today.

Eryngium bougatii --the flowers are a bonus after the emergence of the variegated leaves.

Phlox adsurgens 'wagon wheels'--a nice soft pink.

Received from one of the seed xs as Sparaxis grandiflora ssp fimbriata .I have a suspicion it is a Sisyrinchium sps.

White form of Romulea rosea, or is the correct terminology Romulea rosea alba or album ???.

Finally a native --Fuchsia procumbens just now recovering from neglect--frost damage--lack of watering during a warm dry period and needing repotting.I don't remember the blooms being so vivid last year so maybe the stress has been good for flowering.

Merry xmas
 Dave.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:20:35 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »
Definitely worth a close up! 8)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »
Yes indeed Dave, your Sparaxis IS a sisyrinchium. Can't remember its name though. But it's weedy. So is `Mrs Spivey,' which is what I've received yet again from AGS or SRGC as both Olsynium douglasii and O. filifolium. Anyone can make a mistake but how can they go on making the SAME mistake, year after year after year. Does no-one ever point out that the plant is wrongly named? Or is the "mistake" deliberate? It makes for a lot of disappointed people.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
I love that Fuschia procumbens Dave. What sort of temperature will it survive at?
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
Thanks Lesley --yes it looks weedy however i quite like the colour of the flower so it's going to stay in the meantime .I'll just have to remember to deadhead the thing.

John --i can't get the damn Fuchsia to flower in the garden proper here.
I grow it as a hanging container plant in partial shade left outside all year round where it does extremely well.
The berries are just as impressive.

While it grows naturally in the top half of the North Island near the sea it surprisingly is classed as hardy and will stand frost.

A quick look on Google and one site states it is extremely hardy even in most parts of Britain.

I'll have seed available later if you are interested.I'll leave you to send me a PM.

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2007, 10:19:46 PM »
I cant keep it alive. Susan Tindall sells it but days after buying it it goes off, for me anyway
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2007, 01:49:14 AM »
Dave, why would you want a PM from John? WE have a Prime Misinster, JOHN has a Prime Minister, we ALL have a Prime Minister, and much good does any one of THEM, do any one of US. Just ask him to send an email instead. :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »
Great pics all.  Love that blue Salvia Fermi.... not a species I have come across before. I think Salvias have to be one of the best plants for effort to flower ratios...... they do so much better when left to themselves, other than an occasional water and sometimes a prune.  Some of them can decide to run a little more than I like, but they are at least generally easy to remove.

Will post some pics here later this evening..... have taken heaps of photos in the last few weeks and have prepared a bunch.  I hope I won't post too many of them for you to enjoy though.  I think most of them tend to fit in this thread as easiest.  Later!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »
Here's a few pics from the last couple of weeks....

37627-0
Arisaema fargesii is a rather striking member of the genus.  I always look forward to it every year.

37629-1
This little relative of Cypella is Calydorea amabilis.  Flowers last for the day, or somewhat shorter if it is hot.  Quite a small little thing, but I love this whole family.  Sets seed if I let it too.

37631-2
This is a small double Campanula species.  No idea of name or anything like that.  Well behaved and nicely upright to about a foot tall.

37633-3
This might be recognised by certain people on this forum...... given it came as seed from a certain generous donor in Northern Ireland.  Its Dahlia merckii.  Thanks Mark!!

37635-4
Another unknown species..... well I used to know the species but I have forgotten..... a cute little Hoya with flowers that are maybe 1cm wide each.  They're the cutest little furry flowers, almost looking like they're crystalline when you have a close look.

37637-5
Another Iridaceae member..... Neomarica northiana, or the walking iris due to its habit of producing plantlets on the flower stalks, which slowly weigh down the flower stem until they come into contact with the ground and put down roots.  Flowers only last for a day.

37639-6
And lastly..... Polemonium brandegessii is somewhat different in colour to any others I have seen.  Up until now I'd only seen purple, blue or white ones.... but this orange/yellow is quite nice.

I'll be posting a couple of pics in the ID thread as well, to see if I can get some names.  I also have a couple of species Tigridia pictures (T. dugesii and T. durangense but not sure whether there is a better place to post them than here?  And a couple of Liliums if anyone is interested too?  Let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »
Forgot one.......

37641-0
This is a Dierama which I bought years ago without a name to it.  Lovely deep pinky flowers that fade to purple.  Lovely!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »
Here is a selection of what is currently flowering in my garden

First Metrosideros umbellata (Southern rata) Different trees around town are coming into flower at present - here is my one.

Second a close up picture of the flowers.

Third Solanum laciniatum; really a bit of a weed but attractive never the less.

Fourth Brachyglottis ' Dunedin Hybrid '. These are hybrids of presumed parentage of Brachyglottis greyi, Brachyglottis compacta and Brachyglottis monroi . There are a number of forms showing slight variations - this one has been grown by my family for many years and is a reliable consistent performer. It is virtually indestructible and can be pruned back hard.

Last for  the traditionalists who like holly for the festive season. The best I can manage is Olearia macrodonta known as New Zealand holly on account of the superficial resemblance of the leaves to the true holly. It is in full bloom at the moment so it will do a a substitute.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Thanks for bringing back a fantastic memory of the best Xmas day I ever had (hope the family don't see this ;)). I was on holiday in New Zealand after working in Fiji. On Xmas Day I did the 8 hour (?) return hike to Alex's Knob a fantastic viewpoint over the Frans Josef Glacier (passing several climate zones on the way) and I didn't meet a single person the whole day and the sun shone all day! At sea level, the Southern Rata was in full bloom, a fantastic contrast against the deep blue of the Tasman Sea below. Must digitise those slides one day...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
Paul how long ago did I give you the seeds? I cant remember
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »
Cute Hoya!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal