We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Southport AGS  (Read 6809 times)

Palustris

Southport AGS
« on: May 18, 2013, 07:58:08 AM »
One of our favourite places for a show.
Funny, it is also where I first joined the SRGC. The then treasurer was based in Southport.
Still not done the pictures from Solihull though.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Southport AGS
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Just back from another superb AGS Show, this time at Southport in Lancashire.  The threatened persistent heavy rain was replaced by intermittent drizzle and even this didn't deter hardy exhibitors from filling the hall with colour, foliage, sights and scents.  The benches were resplendent with plants of every hue and the judges must have agonised over every decision.
Southport welcomed visitors from north of the border who came and saw and conquered.  Cyril Lafong journeyed south with a car full of magnificent plants and stole the show with his beautiful Daphne calcicola, which took the Farrer Medal for 'Best Exhibit in the Show', while he stole my heart with an incredible pan of Cypripedium 'Ursel' (fasciolatum x henryi).
Many thanks and hearty congratulations to Roger Beecham, his tireless team of helpers and, especially, to the few who worked all day in the kitchens providing sustaining teas and coffees. Your efforts were greatly appreciated.
Another magnificent show that demonstrates the overwhelming beauty of our special mountain plants.

Cyril Lafong and his beautiful Farrer Medal winning Daphne calcicola (corrected - thanks to George Young).
Cyril's superb Cypripedium 'Ursel'
Close-up
Lewisia benches
Three-pan colour
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:56:01 PM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »
It looks like another bumper show Cliff - those three-pan classes could always be relied upon to attract many more entries than would turn up on the day, but not any more. They've been very competitive (and full) this year.

I assume that now Cyril has conquered Scotland, he's setting his sights on English domination also. Where next - a personal stand at Chelsea?  ::)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Some cracking good exhibits there!  Well done Cyril.  What a wonderful daphne.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

veteran vet

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
Slight slip of the notes there Cliff, the Farrer plant was Daphne calcicola, just to be sure checked with the man himself who is staying at the Burrow residence tonight

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »
Absolutely no excuse, George ... apart from a) taking no notes whatsoever; b) having a memory like a sieve; c) a lunchtime drink; d) a very poor secretary; e) dementia; f) dyslexia; g) anything else that might just save the tiniest semblance of street cred.
Apologies all and apologies to Cyril ... it WAS a WONDERFUL Daphne.
Cliff Booker

Palustris

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:00:02 AM »
Cliff was intoxicated by the scent from it, to be sure.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
The Southport show benches are groaning under the weight of all those super plants - what a grand show.
Well done to the Glenrothes Greenfinger for his successful trip south.
Good too, to see dear Mrs Clement safely restored to AGS show-land after her Czech adventures.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
The Southport show benches are groaning under the weight of all those super plants - what a grand show.
Well done to the Glenrothes Greenfinger for his successful trip south.
Good too, to see dear Mrs Clement safely restored to AGS show-land after her Czech adventures.

Diane barely had time to taste her lunch for her verbose praise of Prague ... it's safe to say, she enjoyed it IMMENSELY!!!
Cliff Booker

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
Thanks all for the pictures from Southport and very well done Cyril his first expedition that far South with plants and what a cracker, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

veteran vet

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
I will stick a few pictures up...I have quite a lot...over coffee. As can be gathered from posts above it was a cracking show, as John Richards said when presenting the prizes, he had been going to Southport for at least 20 years and this was, in his opinion the best one yet...I must say I agree. There were many plants that in a routine year would have had a shout at the Farrer, not sure how many went up before the judges at the end.
My usual trundle round the show taking pictures of what I liked, was able to photograph in the hall
Androsace cylindrical Geoff Rollinson, (6) one of at least 4 of similar quality and size on display, one was in for the Farrer
Androsace studiosorum, Cecilia Coller (4) who won the most points in the Open Section
Dionysia involucrate, Geoff Rollinson ..I had expected to see a few of these on the bench but was the only one I noted
Lamium armenum Tommy Anderson (2)
Haberlea rhodopensis Cecilia Coller (7)

veteran vet

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Class 11 for Orchidacea had some really fine entries so I photographed them all
Cypripedium 'Gisella', Robin Pickering
Cypripedium 'Ursel', Cyril Lafong
Cypripedium parville, Ian Instone
Cymbidium goeringii Wilma and Jim Wright (plus a close up) is always one I find hard to photograph

veteran vet

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
One more lot then outside again
Daphne calcicola, Farrer Medal, Cyril Lafong (20)
Daphnes petraea 'Grandiflora', John Richards (20), in any other year would have had a chance of the Farrer, was only second to D calcicola, he should have put it in another class possibly
Saxifraga 'Duncan Lowe, Frank and Barbara Hoyle (3 & 10)
Fritillaria camschatcensis Clare Oates (13)
Class 8 3 pan Lewisia, in this case L. cotyledon hybrid, L. 'Ashwood Ruby', L. 'Carousel Hybrid', Martin Rogerson

veteran vet

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
Silene hookeri, Barry Winter (15)
Sedum heterodontum, Paul Street (16)
Anisitome imbricate var imbricate. Geoff Rollinson (17)....it is in flower by the waY
Gentiana verna Ian Instone (18) in the British native class, large pan
Pinus mugo 'Suzi', Dave Riley (24), has done very well for Dave this year, possibly won every time out

veteran vet

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
Rhododendron keiskei var ozawae 'Yaku Fairy', Cecilia Coller (23)....we used to see this frequently at shows, seldom now...this exhibit was as good as it gets but was not good enough to win the Best pan Ericacaea which went to
Cassiope lycopodiodes 'Beatrice Lilley', Dave Mountfort (22)
Sempervivum ciliosum var galicicum, CeciliaColler (28)...why does she always have to have plants with long names!
Helichrysum pagophyllum, Frank and Barbara Hoyle (29)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal