We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aberdeen SRGC Group Display  (Read 2851 times)

Roma

Aberdeen SRGC Group Display
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
No Aberdeen show this year but a number of us brought plants to display in the Education Greenhouse at the Duthie Park.  It was dry in the morning but heavy showers later may have reduced the number of visitors to the park.
The Display was ably organised by Lesley Glasser, Graeme Strachan and Mike Hopkins. 

Auriculas and other plants shown by David Aitken
Auricula 'Tosca'
Auricula 'Old Gold'

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

Re: Aberdeen SRGC Group Display
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »
Mike Hopkins brought along a selection of Lewisias as well as other plants.  He wasn't sure of the Veronica's name.  There is a label in there somewhere but it is rather brittle so searching for it was not an option

Roma

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
The Veronica and Lewisia 'John's Special'

angie

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
Nice meeting up with everyone. Mikes Lewisias were really lovely not a mark on them, mine always have brown marks on the leaves, not sure why. Thanks to Lesley, Graham and Mike for organising this.

Angie  :)
ps. Roma had a lovely time potting up all the Cyclamen hederifolium between showers that you gave me. Hope I can grow them as good as you can.
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Roma

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Angie brought along her Cypripediums Aki, Karl Heinz and the little fat one smithii tibeticum
Also two Anemonellas and a couple of Echeverias
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:38:40 PM by Roma »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »
Sorry I couldn't stay in the beautiful granite city quite long enough to see this display. I had to leave for home on Friday. I had expected a grim, dark city but found instead, a lovely, light-filled and silver architecture, even on dull days.

The yellow Lewisia tweedyi is a gorgeous thing. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Graham Catlow

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:10:54 AM »
Looks as though this was a nice little show which gives us hope that the formal Aberdeen show may be resurrected. I know that several people I spoke with at the Glasgow show were talking of their disappointment that this years show couldn't take place.

Angie, I think you may have bought your Cypripedium smithii from the same place as me and it appears not to be smithii. I have been informed that C. smithii is said to lack a white rim to the labellum. Which yours and mine have. This appears to be the form of C. tibeticum once known as C. corrugatum. I looked this up and the information seems to be correct.
Bo'ness. Scotland

angie

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »
Looks as though this was a nice little show which gives us hope that the formal Aberdeen show may be resurrected. I know that several people I spoke with at the Glasgow show were talking of their disappointment that this years show couldn't take place.

Angie, I think you may have bought your Cypripedium smithii from the same place as me and it appears not to be smithii. I have been informed that C. smithii is said to lack a white rim to the labellum. Which yours and mine have. This appears to be the form of C. tibeticum once known as C. corrugatum. I looked this up and the information seems to be correct.

Graham ( eagle eye ) I thought I had changed its name ( I did a new label )I did post a picture of it on the forum and was given the right name. Nobody noticed or they never said. Maybe they were just taken by the wonderful colour and they never noticed that wrong name  ::)
I am terrible with labels. They get picked out by the blackbirds and little fingers  ;D I think I read that Ian bends his labels at the base and they hook into the soil, will give this a try.

Can you believe I missed the buzz in the kitchen at the Aberdeen show. Ok I will be honest I missed all the home baking and Maggi's soup. Lots of folks have also said to me that they miss the Aberdeen show, yep we are a lovely bunch  ;)

Angie T.

angie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
Sorry I couldn't stay in the beautiful granite city quite long enough to see this display. I had to leave for home on Friday. I had expected a grim, dark city but found instead, a lovely, light-filled and silver architecture, even on dull days.

Lesley it's a shame that you couldn't have stayed a bit longer and the weather hadn't been kinder.  I think it was yourself that brightened up our city.

Angie T.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »
Quite absurdly, I feel guilty (when I  hear of the regrets expressed at the demise of the Aberdeen show)  that Ian and I have stood down from running the Aberdeen show after more than twenty years.
Fact is, neither of us is as healthy as we would like  and no-one has come forward over the last few years to " learn the ropes" to take over from us, as we had hoped would happen. Our wonderful Team of helpers is also getting fewer and older - this is a problem that will come or has come to many other groups too.

We are proud that Aberdeen was always a great show - but such things do not just "happen" - they require tremendous planning and input over a long period and need help from many hands to achieve.

It would be super to think such glories could be regained in future!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
Ian & Maggi you would be a hard act to follow with the show. 

While we missed the competitive element of a show  a display gave us the chance to bring plants we might not be able to fit into the schedule.  I hope more people will take part next year.

Sorry you couldn't stay longer,Lesley.  It would have been nice to meet you.

a few more pictures
1st two  Ian & Lillian Chapman
Fraser Beaton
Helen McGregor 

Roma

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
A few more
Graeme Strachan
Carol Marriot's superb Lewisia 'Joyce Halley' 
Adrian Banks
Sorry I can't remember this exhibitor's name

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »
Carol Marriot's superb Lewisia 'Joyce Halley' 

One I haven't heard of before, do you know anything else about it Roma?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »
One I haven't heard of before, do you know anything else about it Roma?

Good question, David- made me think!
 It is a selection of L. cotyledon, named for the  late stalwart of the SRGC,  the marvelous Joyce Halley, who was the mainstay of the Seed Exchange for many years.
There are only two mentions in the SRGC journal, both of plants of this form being shown  in Aberdeen by Mike Hopkin. From Mike's plants, and Carol's, shown above, we  can see what a good form it is - but I cannot find who named it- I have a suspicion it may have been Ian the Christie kind.......  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
Thanks for that Maggi. It doesn't seem to have got out into the trade generally though and maybe it should as it strikes me as being a very good form. I'd be very interested in trying to spread it :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal