We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2013  (Read 6737 times)

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
Podophyllum 2013
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
This is my Podophyllum peltatum, such a shame that the plant wants to hide the flowers under the leaves.

Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Podophyllum 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:42:20 AM »
Podophyllum peltatum   

Careful with that one!

It's native here.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:45:22 AM »
Some big-flowered P. delavayi best x delavayi 2nd best today.

johnw

Stephen Vella

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
Thought this would be the right place to put this.

Podophyllum difforme flowering for the first time and flowering for a while..well I hope it is??

While its out I decided to brush pollin from delavayi hybrids onto it. I also brushed the difforme pollin onto pleianthum and some onto delavayi hybrids and see what I get.

cheers
Stephen
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
Stephen, good to see you are out there with the plants - we have been seeing such terrifying scenes of the fires in the Blue Mountains we didn't know how things might be with you.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stephen Vella

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
Hi Maggie,

Im doing fine...thanks. The fires did get close to home about 8km away but the winds kept it away.

When the fires started last thursday I did have to leave work early.We had 90 plus km winds driving the fire over 50km over mountain terraine in 4 hours..thats fast!..to where I work at Mount Tomah. Thankfully it was directed behind Mt Tomah and 2 other mountain villages that are very secluded.

The Botanic Garden at Mount Tomah and the village as well as Mount Wilson were very lucky with a wind change and lowering of wind speed so the fire could be controled by fire fighters.

There were a few unlucky towns that caught the full force of the fires and houses were burnt down as you may have heard.

Bush fires here are a way of life here, every summer but this one caught everyone by surprise as it was early.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
A few Podophyllums from a forum member raised by seeds.

At the time crossing delavayi x veitchii is not a hybrids as veitchii is a syn of delavayi. Im wondering if this will delevilope thoses "snow flake" like leaves or more dissecting in the edge of the leaves as the plants mature??

And flowers on the versipelle x emodi. Very unlike the parents

johnw

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
Fore plant looks like straight delavayi as you suggest, the rear one looks like like delavayi x pleianthum here.

The second photo - I have never heard of anyone crossing versipelle or pleianthum with emodi and was just wondering if it were possible.  What you show looks more like a delavayi or hybrid of the same.  Could be the cross didn't take.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:10:44 PM by johnw »

Stephen Vella

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
Hi John,

I thought you may have commented  on the earlier post of the difforme flowers. Do you grow this one? Im hoping its true as it was a Chin yi plant. Ive saved some pollin to transfer onto another when it flowers in hope for variation seen in thoses darker forms with some silver markings.

cheers

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
John, Stephen,

I have tried several times to pollinate Podo hexandrum flowers with pollen of other Podo species always resulting in nice fruits full of seed and normal hexandrum seedlings. When Pollinating delavayi or pleianthum with hexandrum pollen I got no fruits at all. So I am curious to know which was the pollen donor in this hexandrum versipelle cross and I would very much like to see a picture of the whole plant.

Robin

Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

johnw

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 01:22:19 PM »
Hi John, I thought you may have commented  on the earlier post of the difforme flowers. Do you grow this one? Im hoping its true as it was a Chin yi plant. Ive saved some pollin to transfer onto another when it flowers in hope for variation seen in thoses darker forms with some silver markings. cheers

Stephen  - Sorry I missed that post completely.  Until recently I have not had any luck with difforme.  I have had plants arrive in perfect shape, settle in nicely and then collapse and die a month or so later.  Philip MacD says it has been the same for him but he had an endless supply - a fellow in Vanvouver with a yard full of them, that is until they all collapsed and died last year.   Even seedlings here do the same thing.  More recently Philip's difformes come up, collapse somewhat later but don't die.  Robin sent me seed in autumn 2011 and these have been fine, Philip was here last week and says they look like his seedlings of difforme - when a difforme lives we all doubt it is the real thing!

So the bottomline is I can't identify your plant as I have had no experience with difforme at such an advanced age.

We have a pleianthum in an isolated garden that has set fruit this year and the only other Podo in the neighborhood is hexandrum.  I'll let you know if there's any seed, they might be worth keeping separated.  We don't have much luck sprouting hexandrum.........

johnw -  +11c

Stephen Vella

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
Hi John,

ok I'll have a look around the net for flower identification on difforme. One noticeable identifying feature are the hairs on the pedicels which I read somewhere and the flowers do look differant to the other species.

Im curious to why difforme drops dead...is it the freezing temps? Here the leaves do hang on through autumns end.

If your wanting to increase hexandrum and you say sprouting, you mean germinating??..it will increase by root cutting taken with a bit of the rhyzome, you can get alot this way.

Actually most Podophyllums will increase this way. Great for increasing a good hybrid form :)

Robin,

I will see if I can get a full pick of the versipelle x emodi, there maybe a few in the row planted with that cross. I just took the pick with the flowers for identification. I didnt think much of the leaves when they emerged but they all do better year after year and i do find this interesting.

johnw

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm curious to why difforme drops dead...is it the freezing temps? Here the leaves do hang on through autumns end.
If your wanting to increase hexandrum and you say sprouting, you mean germinating??..it will increase by root cutting taken with a bit of the rhyzome, you can get alot this way.

Stephen  - My difformes died under halide lights with no frost, they have also died in the cool greenhouse, again no frost.  Philip's died in his frost-free hoophouse and outdoors as I recall.

We have quite the backlog of hexandrum seed pots and nary a seed has ever germinated.  I thought there was mention recently of Krystl Walek's method of germinating them but I can't seem to find that.

johnw - sunny & +6c
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:23:20 PM by johnw »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »

I thought there was mention recently of Crystal Walek's method of germinating them but I can't seem to find that.

johnw - sunny & +6c

There was indeed .... in this P. hexandrum  thread
 www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10947.msg284653#msg284653
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
Thanks Maggi.

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal