We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildside Nursery and Garden-June 2 2013  (Read 5793 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Wildside Nursery and Garden-June 2 2013
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that this was our first visit to Keith Wiley's Wildside Nursery and Garden but it certainly won't be the last-WHAT A PLACE-magnificent.

I'm not sure of the full history but this potted, and hopefully reasonably accurate, summary might be useful. Keith Wiley spent many years as Curator of The Garden House here in Devon, just along the road from his present place and achieved an international reputation for his planting ideas and schemes. He reached the point where he felt he needed to further those ideas and set up his own nursery and garden. He and his wife purchased land of around 4/5 acres on a gently sloping, south facing site which at the time of purchase was a small orchard. The result is far from completed but they must have shifted many, many tons of soil, sub-soil, rock etc. to create what they have done here so far, using only a mini-digger, blood (no doubt) and a Hell of a lot of sweat. The area being worked on at the moment includes ravines, gorges, call 'em what you will.

The garden is an absolute paradise and those of you who venture to this area you just have to see it. All of the following pics are from the first area of the garden to be started.

Starting with some general views:-

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Wildside Nursery and Garden-June 2 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
Continuing:-
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:08 PM »
Just a couple more, further stuff to come but I need to do some re-sizing first:-
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »
Some planting shots. Very little in the garden is labelled so sorry no names:-
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

brianw

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
I agree. After 3 or 4 visits since they started it has been interesting to watch the garden develope. It was featured in the Channel 4 "The Landscape Man" series. Many of the Garden House ideas have been taken further at Wildside.
A stunning garden. Visit it if you possibly can, but check opening hours first.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

angie

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
David it does look a wonderful place. Popped it in my notebook just incase I am ever near it and can visit. Thanks for sharing.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »
At Alpines 2011 I enjoyed Keith Wiley's talk on "An Holistic Approach to Alpines in the Garden" - it gave some insight inot the massive amount of earth moving that had been done in the new garden and how he intended to incorporate alpines within the general scheme.
I think the planting and layout looks great in David's pix.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
His talks are great and we had hoped to visit the garden on our recent trip, unfortunately opening times are very restricted and we were unable to fit it in.  A great disappointment to us so thank you very much David for these photos.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
You would love it Brian. Yes opening hours are very restricted, only the first four days of each month.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
Without a shadow of doubt one of the finest gardens we have ever visited ... we haven't been lucky enough to visit in spring or summer ... yet ... but we will!!!   Excellent tour, David - though images cannot illustrate the sheer scale and dimensions of this horticultural paradise.  We were so fortunate to be given a private tour of the garden by Keith himself and his enthusiasm, knowledge and ambitions for this ever expanding project are equally awe-inspiring.
I am tempted to say that lottery funding should be given to projects like this,  rather than to some of the hair-brained schemes that we have encountered (though Keith would probably reject such a proposal as it might dilute his overall control and involvement).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:46:28 PM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
Last few pictures before my batteries ran out. (well to be specific the camera's batteries ran out, my batteries ran out years ago!)

First a couple of Peonies, can one put names to them please:-
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »
I spotted two Cypripediums each in a different part of the garden, this is one of them. They didn't look as though they received any special attention and looked to be planted in the same soil as the rest of the plants in the garden, which would be very well drained. I've posted this on the Cyp thread.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Keith had started a wild flower meadow which looks to have in it a good number of Dactyorhiza, this was the only one in flower-yet. I've posted this on the Dactylorhiza thread.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
...... and just to prove that it is is possible to grow Meconopsis in Devon (although not in my garden!)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
First a couple of Peonies, can one put names to them please:-
First one I'd say P. obovata, second one I'm not sure; there are several very similar-looking yellows.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal