We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pink snowdrop  (Read 8940 times)

Mavers

Pink snowdrop
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before but I thought the write up was spot on............... ;D

Galanthus nivalis 'Blushing Pedant,' a remarkable new discovery from the Rev. Tweedly-Stale's garden in Smackton-under-Clothes, Gloucestershire. Bidding on eBay for a twin scale of this cultivar has already reached £3,000 and rising. The Rev says, 'this colour break is heaven-sent. I can now retire in comfort.'
Mike
Somerset, UK

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: Pink snowdrop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
Not sure how serious that was
the post was from Friday, 15 January 2010
http://silvertreedaze.blogspot.fr/2010_01_01_archive.html

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:59:37 AM »
We have a series of billboard advertisements for a local beer, in which some outrageously unlikely statements are made (like the All Blacks losing to the French, currently in NZ) and all ending with the words "Yeah, right."

I expect the Rev Tiddley-Pom is now planning his retirement on the beautiful Isle of Spare-My-Blushes. Yeah, right!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
More interesting snowdrops you see here

Royalty Free Stock Image: Ladybird on the Blue Snowdrop

and here

Violet snowdrops

Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
We have a series of billboard advertisements for a local beer, in which some outrageously unlikely statements are made (like the All Blacks losing to the French, currently in NZ) and all ending with the words "Yeah, right."

I expect the Rev Tiddley-Pom is now planning his retirement on the beautiful Isle of Spare-My-Blushes. Yeah, right!
We have a sign in our choir room at St Mark's Church, made by a choir member borrowing from the Tui brewery's ads - "Probably the best church choir in Auckland - yeah right".
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »
Perhaps it really IS the best church choir in Auckland Anthony?

I'm going to hear Verdi's Requiem on Thursday night, NZSO, following a fantastic concert about 10 days ago from the Southern Sinfonia, culminating in Saint-Saens great Organ Symphony. This was to celebrate the reopening of the town hall after two years of closure for renovations (and earthquake strengthening). I'd heard it live before with Gillian Weir in Wellington but this was quite as fine and the orchestra replayed the whole last movement as an encore, something unheard of in Dunedin and very rare anywhere I think, for a whole orchestra to encore.

Black ice on the road is my only worry!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:48:45 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »
Perhaps [the St. Mark's Church choir] really IS the best church choir in Auckland Anthony?

...a fantastic concert about 10 days ago from the Southern Sinfonia, culminating in Saint-Saens great Organ Symphony... I'd heard it live before with Gillian Weir in Wellington but this was quite as fine and the orchestra replayed the whole last movement as an encore, something unheard of in Dunedin and very rare anywhere I think, for a whole orchestra to encore.

Somebody told me once that one of the NZ cathedral choirs maintained its high standard by having an inviolable rule that all members had to retire on reaching age 35 (that may not have been the exact age). Reason? Because that's the age at which many singers start to lose their pitch accuracy. By having such a rule, the choir director never had to make invidious distinctions between singers, nor the awkward task of telling a member their pitch was off and they had to go.

And as for the Saint-Saens organ symphony: one of the miracles of the repertory.  The recording is by the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Charles Munch. I always lose it when the orchestra burbles down into total silence and the organ then quietly steals onto the scene.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »
I don't know Rodger, if that's correct or not, about retiting at 35 or even 45 or 55. That would put Anthony out to start with. ;D

One thing I DO know is that the Royal Dunedin Male Choir (you note the Royal - you have to be jolly good to be granted a Royal Charter) has a number of members who are way past 55. One of our Forumist's husband is a member of the choir and he is far from the oldest. Many members are very snowy white on top! ;D They will feature in tonight's performance of Verdi's Requiem. I must remember it starts at 6.30pm not at 8, a concession I think to Otago's less that tropical winter climate though today, while cold is neither wet nor icy so driving into town and home again will be easy enough.

Chad

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Ooops.

I was posting the original source for this and then saw Roland already had.

Is there a delete function for my post?

Chad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:26:18 PM by Chad »
Inland Cornwall

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
I was loathe to add to this thread but as it was re-activated I seem to recall there was talk of a Galanthus reginae-olgae in the pipeline which has a pink tinge, or was I dreaming?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
No worries, Chad.... since Brian has also replied to the thread it's better to leave your post be to make sense of his comment.  ;)

Brian - the heat and the excitement of the bulb lists coming out must be getting too much for you.
 :-X ;D ::)

I don't believe it- I just don't ... pink indeed, huh!   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:50:15 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
I was loathe to add to this thread but as it was re-activated I seem to recall there was talk of a Galanthus reginae-olgae in the pipeline which has a pink tinge, or was I dreaming?

It exists, that's all that I know...but don't expect a fluo-pink snowdrop...there might be a bit of a tinge of pink in it...it's called G. reginae-olgae 'Pink Panther'.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
                                   Sorry, but if the name of   
                                   the glorious Pink Panther
                                   is used, then unless the
                                   flower is truly a fluo-pink,
                                   then it's an offence against
                                the Trades Description Act to my mind!

..and I think He would agree......
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:04:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
Brian - the heat and the excitement of the bulb lists coming out must be getting too much for you.
 :-X ;D ::)

I don't believe it- I just don't ... pink indeed, huh!    (Attachment Link)

I think it's this extraordinary weather that's doing it, my blood must be overheating  ::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
It exists, that's all that I know...but don't expect a fluo-pink snowdrop...there might be a bit of a tinge of pink in it...it's called G. reginae-olgae 'Pink Panther'.

My goodness, this is still going on?  Maybe it's named Pink Panther because like a cartoon, it's not real, or it sneaks around stealthily like the tricky panther he is, evading any photographic evidence to date. I'm still waiting patiently.  In honor of the wait, I might just have to conjure up one of my old animated avatars of a petal-flapping snowdrop, a pink version this time. I think the hot weather is going to my head  ;D ;D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal