We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lake Maggiore-Giardino Botanico Alpini  (Read 1472 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Lake Maggiore-Giardino Botanico Alpini
« on: July 04, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »
The garden is at just over 800m high on the flank of Monte Mottarone and overlooks the southern part of Lake Maggiore. It is best approached by cable car from a station between Stresa and Baveno. The stop for the Alpine Garden is just over half way to the top of the mountain where we ventured later in the day. Some trepidation was expressed by a certain member of the group for whom cable cars are not an enjoyable experience but she coped very well!

First a couple of views from the garden out over the Lake. The first overlooking Pallenza and Verbania with the Lake curving round on it's way to the Swiss border and Locarno. The Islands in the Lake are; Isola Superiore to the left; Isola Bella to the right and at the top of the triangle Isola Madre. The second shows the cable car appearing over the trees.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Lake Maggiore-Giardino Botanico Alpini
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
I had gone prepared to be disappointed in the garden expecting it to be more of a touristy opportunity than a serious alpine garden but I was entirely wrong. It is well laid out and plants are well labelled (I will leave it to others with far more experience than I in respect of the accuracy of the labels) and it is in an absolutely beautiful position. I would have liked to have seen it a few weeks earlier in the year and equally would like to see it a few weeks later in the year too but there was still much to see and quite a few notes were made by my intrepid Secretary.

Four general views of the garden:-

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
Great stuff David but you missed out the most important bit of information. Has it got a good coffee shop?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
Just a few of the plants seen:-

Anemone canadensis
Minuartia caricifolia
Genista tinctoria
Scutellaria alpina
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
Great stuff David but you missed out the most important bit of information. Has it got a good coffee shop?

Thank you Martin. No coffee shop in the garden but one very near to the cable car station which was a bit on the "agricultural" side. Some members of the party expressed the view that the guy serving the coffee hadn't washed his hands from his previous task of spray painting touristy tat! Still, it was the cheapest coffee we bought and, had we been hungry we could have had an equally cheap lasagne.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:04:27 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »
More plants:-

Campanula saxifraga just beginning to flower
Campanula rhomboidalis
Orchis maculata ssp fuchsii
Penstemon digitalis (mistyca?)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »
Some more:-

Lilium martagon
Lilium bulbiferum ssp croceum
Gentiana lutea
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
and to finish:-

Rhododendron keiskeyi 'Yaku Fairy'  not in flower but, as far as I know, this has a Devon connection in that it was originally bred by Barry Starling.
Rhododendron viscosum  (already posted on the Rhododendron thread where John Weigle thought it was perhaps a hybrid)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
Nice  to see your pictures of this beautiful region David !
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »
Thank you Kris.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
and to finish:-

Rhododendron keiskei 'Yaku Fairy'  not in flower but, as far as I know, this has a Devon connection in that it was originally bred by Barry Starling.

Indeed it does David.  Barry grew seed collected wild by K. Wada and selected this extremely fine form which received the Award of Merit in 1970.

As you might guess Lesley as a very choice extra dwarf form!

re: your viscosum  To my eyes it looks like a hybrid but the RHS website shows a viscosum close to yours, however it seems awfully far removed from what we think of viscosum over here.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 11:14:29 PM »
Nice pics of the Italian area of Lago Maggiore, David! I never heard before of this Botanic Alpine Garden, but for sure interesting enough to make a visit if in this area, which brings me lots of good memories. The island beds look interesting, but Anemone canadensis should be avoided in such beds, because I never get rid of it since many years, whenever always very nice when in flower.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »
Looks like a superb little alpine garden David !  I'd never heard of it either.
Thanks for showing us around, but I'd love to see more !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
Lovely pics David, we're going to have to get back there one day.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
Brings back lovely memories David.  Thanks.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal