We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2013 in Svalbard  (Read 6332 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
July 2013 in Svalbard
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »
July 13th 2013:
The summer has been fine till now where I have been. But today I am heading for Svalbard to spend a week there. At the moment it is about the same temperature there as you have - and that is hot!

Some of the plants we spotted yesterday in Longyearbyen:

Papaver dahlianum
Ranunculus nivalis
Silene involucrata ssp furcata
Taraxacum arcticum
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:53:39 AM by Maggi Young »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: July 2013 in Svalbard
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
8)  First plants from Svalbard shown on the forum I think.

Thanks Trond.  Will you have the chance to travel outside Longyearbyen?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:32:43 AM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
8)  First plants from Svalbard shown on the forum I think.

I think you are correct, Ashley. And fine photos of fine plants too - thanks Trond.

This reminds me of two SRGC Journal articles on Svalbard  - written by (then student) members of the club, Heather Dale and Johanna Leven :
Svalbard 1990, Dale, H. : 88 /347
My Expedition to Svalbard, Leven, J. : 120/100
Both these journals available online, of course.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »
Thank you Maggi and Ashley.
We were outside Longyearbyen today - not far though as our speed is very slow when we look for plants! Had to bring two armed guards in case of polar bears. Some of us wish a bear to appear some don't! Tomorrow we are going by boats to another place to look for more plants (and birds etc for those interested).

Some from today - no Buddlejas! (A rather special one you show, John!)

Silene acaulis - guess which way is south!

Stellaria humifusa x2

Saxifraga cespitosa cespitosa
yellow form (also called aurea)

Arenaria pseudofrigida

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:16:05 PM by Hoy »

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »
Really wonderful plants Trond, in a wonderful place. I was hoping to make it to Tromso one day, and now I know I have to make it much further north.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »
This reminds me of two SRGC Journal articles on Svalbard  - written by (then student) members of the club, Heather Dale and Johanna Leven :
Svalbard 1990, Dale, H. : 88 /347
My Expedition to Svalbard, Leven, J. : 120/100
Both these journals available online, of course.  :)

Thanks for this reminder Maggi :-*
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:52:51 AM »
Trond, if you do happen to see a polar bear, please have it pose for you and have its picture recorded. :) I saw a 3 part programme recently on TV, in which a Scottish man was tracking polar bears, a particular family, over 12 months. It was beautiful and thrilling yet somehow I felt uncomfortable as if the bears were being exploited. There seemed to be no real reason for the tracking except to satisfy the man's curiosity though he was apparently working in conjunction with some Danish biologist. It was filmed on Svalbard. The programme did show how the bears are being forced into smaller and smaller areas by the melting of sea ice and how it seems some are already starving because of their inability to hunt except from the ice which is diminishing so fast, so a beautiful programme in some ways but sad too.

Finn Haugli's Oxalis laciniata is a super form but then one would expect that, from that source.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
Wonderful pictures, Trond, thank you for sharing. Reassuring to hear that you have lookouts, I can imagine it is very easy to loose track of ones surroundings when the ground is full of exciting and beautiful plants like those you have posted pictures of.

Parochetus communis is blooming here now, small but beautiful. Our plant is from SRGC seed 2011.

The last picture is of another self-sower that is out now. It is probably also a 'communis'; Gladiolus.

Knud

It is not easy for the guards to keep an eye on us when we disappear in all direction looking for plants!

Knud, do you grow the Parochetus in the garden?

Hoy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Really wonderful plants Trond, in a wonderful place. I was hoping to make it to Tromso one day, and now I know I have to make it much further north.

Thanks Tim.
You know you can visit both Tromsø and Svalbard at the same tour as the flight to Svalbard starts in Tromsø!

Hoy

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
Trond, if you do happen to see a polar bear, please have it pose for you and have its picture recorded. :) I saw a 3 part programme recently on TV, in which a Scottish man was tracking polar bears, a particular family, over 12 months. It was beautiful and thrilling yet somehow I felt uncomfortable as if the bears were being exploited. There seemed to be no real reason for the tracking except to satisfy the man's curiosity though he was apparently working in conjunction with some Danish biologist. It was filmed on Svalbard. The programme did show how the bears are being forced into smaller and smaller areas by the melting of sea ice and how it seems some are already starving because of their inability to hunt except from the ice which is diminishing so fast, so a beautiful programme in some ways but sad too.

Finn Haugli's Oxalis laciniata is a super form but then one would expect that, from that source.

Lesley, unfortunately we haven't seen a single bear! Should have visited Ny Ålesund, they have had visits of several bears in July. Yesterday a bin with a cub paid them a visit - all the bears should have been out in the pack ice now. ( http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/forste-isbjornunge-i-ny-alesund-1.11141006 ) We have seen Svalbard reindeers and arctic foxes and lots of birds of course - and a calving glacier.

Hoy

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
Definitely not glacial: Dahlia australis.
No but a very nice plant nevertheless!

Here are a few more arctic ones:

Cochlearia groenlandica
Draba oxycarpa
Saxifraga oppositifolia x2   
Mertensia maritima tenella
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:01:03 PM by Hoy »

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »
 lovely Mertensia, Hoy
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
Trond - I shall have to speak to my Bank Manager and persuade her we need to reconnoitre alpines up in Northern Norway! However hard you try it is impossible to grow plants like that beautiful last picture of Mertensia.

Mark - really interesting to see Stachys chrysantha as I have tended to confuse the name with S. citrina. I like all of these small species very much and the latter does well on the sand bed with us.

And Campanula caespitosa, Franz - really very lovely. I don't remember seeing this offered for sale but will watch out for it or seed.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Hoy

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Thanks Mark and Tim.
We found a huge colony of small Mertensia seedlings on a gravel beach. Only some of them were big enough to flower but if they all survive it should be thousends in a couple years!

Lesley, you are welcome - and should learn some Norwegian. It isn't that difficult!

A few more from thelast days.

Braya glabella purpurascens
Pedicularis dasyantha
Saxifraga hirculus
Saxifraga platysepala
Saxifraga cespitosa cespitosa
on the beach
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:28:19 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »
4 more

Erigeron humilis x2
Salix polaris
Silene uralensis arctica
Polemonium boreale

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal