We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lysimachia clethroides  (Read 2888 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Lysimachia clethroides
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
37647-0

I received this from a friend last year.  It is rampantly stoloniferous, which thankfully I knew when I receive it from my friend, so I put it into a pot.  In her garden it was flowering at around 4 feet tall or so.  I am thinking it is a Lysimachia but am not at all sure.  I think the photo clearly enough shows both the flowers and the leaves..... do you think this would be Lysimachia chlethroides?  I rather like it, although in it's small pot it is only 2 foot tall and nowhere near as impressive as my first view of it.  The flowers are a lovely pure white, and the overall effect is rather striking, so I'll keep it controlled in a pot to enjoy it.  I am thinking that it will nicely be set off by a tall deep blue pot to bring it up to eye level when in flower.  Can anyone confirm the name, or provide other possibilities?

Thanks in anticipation.  8)

Edited 1/1/2008 to update subject to reflect identification
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:38:30 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Re: Lysimachia?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:15:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is Lysimachia clethroides, Paul, yes!
I love it, but beware, it is a creeper and can become fairly invasive, but easy to pull out though!
Christmas greetings from France!
Zephirine
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »
Yes. It's less invasive in a dry spot.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
Thanks!!  When I was given the piece of plant out of my friends garden I realised that it would be a bit invasive problem if I planted it out.  It is most DEFINITELY staying in a pot!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »
It is definitely Lysimachia clethroides. The common name here is "Goose-neck Loosestrife" (for obvious reasons).
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
I quite like the arrangement to the plume of flowers, and I can definitely understand your common name Carlo!!  Thanks for the help everyone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »
Paul, there are more people who love the arrangement of these flowers. I know this plant almost 50 years now and know that in the Netherlands it already as long is grown commercially as reliable cutflowers.
greetings
Luit van Delft
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 01:10:14 AM »
Ah, so it lasts well as a cut flower then?  What sort of flowering period does it have then?  Is it only in psring, or throughout summer?  This is the first year I have grown it so I really have no idea.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »
I know this plant almost 50 years now and know that in the Netherlands it already as long is grown commercially as reliable cutflowers.
I can well understand the attraction of this as a cut flower, Luit. I have never seen it in the UK as a cut flower....I am surprised that it has not made its way across here with the other cut flowers  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
Paul, it flowers here in Holland from July to September.

Maggi, I googled a little under L. clethroides+cutflowers and I found out that it is very well known
for this use, from Europe to New Zealand.

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »
You surprise me, Luit... certainly I have not seen it in Scottish Florists' shops  ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »
Maggi, if dutch flowertraders come as far as Aberdeen, you should look next year in mixed bouquets.
I think you won't find bunches of this Lysimachia for sale.
Luit

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal