We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2013 in the northern hemisphere  (Read 6844 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
November 2013 in the northern hemisphere
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
Amazingly, on 1st November we still have a few Crocosmia in flower (sort of)!

Camellia oleifera.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: November 2013 in the northern hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »
Amazingly, on 1st November we still have a few Crocosmia in flower (sort of)!Camellia oleifera.

Very nice Camellia John.  I did not expect such a nice flower on oleifera from what I've read.  I finally have buds formed on August-produced shoots on RHS RCM seed.  Are your leaves matte?  Have here are matte and the others semi-matte, leaves are rather elongated compared to japonica.

johnw - +17c and blowing a gale here. 
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
Very nice Camellia John.  I did not expect such a nice flower on oleifera from what I've read.  I finally have buds formed on August-produced shoots on RHS RCM seed.  Are your leaves matte?  Have here are matte and the others semi-matte, leaves are rather elongated compared to japonica.

johnw - +17c and blowing a gale here.
No, leaves are glossy; picture attached. The only one I have with sort of matte leaves is Camellia granthamiana, and even these are shiny matte, if that is possible (also pictured)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Although I still had a few alpines in flower, everything is now buried! We had around 10-15cm on Oct 28, though a lot of that melted, then sat/sunday we got another around 35cm....
1- part of some new xeric beds/berms - showing part of why this is the right spot for xeric beds- there is less snow cover at this end of the yard, and in front of a large spruce..
2-rock gardens, berms etc in the lower, wetter end of the acreage, much deeper snow...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Ah well, no more weeding or grass-cutting for this season then, cohan?  ( always a silver lining of some kind!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
John

Seems as if I have a problem then.  I have 5 or 6 labelled oleifera from the RHS RCM Group.  One of those has glossy leaves resembling japonica but the others have matte narrowish foliage.  I photograph the narrow flower buds and foliage tomorrow.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

astragalus

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
Cohan, I love your pictures of the snow with the blue shadows, beautiful.  At least you can say that your plants are now protected.  Does your snow cover usually stay through the winter?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
Maggi- indeed, no more outdoor gardening for months to come! I can't complain since we had a good fall stretch of dry warmish weather, good for working outdoors but enough frosty nights to get most plants ready for dormancy.. Now the work shifts to shovelling snow and cutting/hauling firewood!

Anne- thanks- yes, there is lots of beauty in this season, thank goodness- need some kind of upside! I was already building my gardens in ridges and berms to enhance drainage etc, but realised over winter that the mounds add greatly to the winter interest under the snow. As to snow remaining- we usually have pretty consistent cover in mid-winter, though plants need to be able to take some pretty low temperatures exposed, as it can happen in fall, spring or worst of all, late winter. We can get to at least -20C before snow cover stays, though this year, we only got to around -14C or so before the snow came.
Most at risk are dry areas of the property- along south edge of spruce trees, fences, walls etc (such as where I've put my xeric beds (so far for native and other western North American plants), also at the higher/drier end of the yard), and certain parts of the woods (don't have any plantings in there yet) where snow never seems to settle more than a few inches, and can easily become exposed during warmish spells. Natives such as Pyrolas and to a lesser extent Linnaea and Mitella, are often exposed in these late winter  warm-ups and are still able to survive with temps that go back down to -20 to -30C or worse, and sit very dry during the warm spells with the ground still frozen.
My eurasian rock gardens and berms (second photo in my previous post) are in the lower wetter end of the property, and mid-winter snow cover usually remains at around/over a foot during the coldest months, though likely a bit less on raised/sloped plantings.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:36:15 PM by cohan »

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
Here is the last of Sax. fortunei in pots to come into flower it's called Conwy Snow and if you look carefully some of the flowers seem to be semi double. Rather pretty.  The ones in the garden were ruined by a very heavy hailstorm last Saturday.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
Shelagh, I'm quite taken with Sax. fortunei. I have one in the garden that does reasonably well. I can't remember it's name but in the unlikely event that it doesn't chuck it down tomorrow I'll check on it. Do you grow yours in pots for showing or do they do better than in the garden?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Morning David,

We have 3 or 4 in pots for the late Shows and about the same number in the garden.  Sax. fortunei Early Ruby is the largest specimen and when it flowers well looks like an old fashioned Roman Candle.  We haven't tried this one outside.  Sax. fortunei Mount Naachi does well outside as do S. f. obtusocuneatum which is just about the smallest of them all.  They certainly seem to survive all our weather up here in Bury and ofcourse the Aberconwy varieties all seem pretty hardy.  Those in pots stay in the cold frames all year unless we are trying to bring out the flowers for Shows when they have a short sojourn in the greenhouse.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
Thanks for that Shelagh, I shall look out for some more. Mine is 'Rubrifolia', way past it's best now but it's a good doer.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »
this year, cold don't want to come here in Burgundy, then autumn leaves are not so nice than classic years, but Corylus americana has so nice nuts ! Acer cissifolium and Betula lenta
do

Pontoux France

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »
Lovely mellow colours Dominique.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
Camellia sasanqua 'Maiden's Blush' looks good next to the autumn colours of Rhdodendron luteum
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:09:29 PM by johnralphcarpenter »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal