We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 105566 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #540 on: August 09, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
It's never a good sign for the weather when it is forecast 7'C and snow, it's 8:30am, it's still below 0'C and there is still thick ice in the birdbaths, and it's raining!!? (how it is liquid I am not sure?)  Methinks their forecast of snow today might be correct!! ::)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:41:13 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #541 on: August 10, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »
Well Paul, we had snow yesterday and on Friday. When I went to work in Lola at 5.30am, I got stuck on the hill. Roger coming behind in his 4wd van had to pull me out and I abandoned the car for the day. 20 mins late for work. 3C all morning with windshill to -1 or 2 and rain and snow as well. Another perfect Otago day. As well, my staff member decided to be sick for the duration and I had his job to do as well. All the heavy lifting, emptying rubbish bins etc. Major chest pains but not heart, just bl...dy hard work. Many other problems/irritations through the morning culminating with some stupid birk parking his car in a gateway, blocking exit from the market for the vendors. Another equally stupid birk had vent his anger by breaking of a windscreen wiper from the offending car. Owner phoned me when I got home, threatening God knows what. Not the best of days.

Hell, I didn't even have mushy weetbix for breakfast!

Sun today with very heavy frosy, hardest so far this winter.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #542 on: August 10, 2008, 10:02:11 AM »
It's tough at the top Lesley! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #543 on: August 10, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
As it has rained again all day coupled with a howling gale s no gardening I thought I would help you Lesley with a bit of advice. Basically I found dealing with the public who almost without exception leave their brains and manners at home when they step outside is hell. So the answer  is to retire which immeadiately turns you into one of them or as my wife says an old grump.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #544 on: August 10, 2008, 07:02:13 PM »
10th day of August and we have had rain on 9 of them. I was seriously thinking of buying a wet suit but Maureen thinks I might frighten the horses!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #545 on: August 10, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
Shouldn't worry, David, most sensible horses will be indoors in this weather...... ;) :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #546 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
Shouldn't worry, David, most sensible horses will be indoors in this weather...... ;) :-X

;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #547 on: August 11, 2008, 12:38:45 AM »
Good advice Tony and I will do, in time. But in fairness to our Market visitors, we do have an awful lack of parking within say 500 metres and in general, people are very good and courteous. The car owner phoned again in the evening and apologized for his attitude, which must be a first. He was American too!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #548 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
10th day of August and we have had rain on 9 of them.

Correction: 11th of August and rain on 10! >:( >:( >:( >:(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #549 on: August 11, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »
Gardening, gardening books and outdoor activities are severely curtailed. The weight is piling on as I turn to a different passion - cooking. Gazpacho to start, chicken and prawn paella for main course, a creme brulee with summer fruits and a black forest gateau with coffee was today's dinner - the result of today's continuous rain.

All very enjoyable in their own way but the dull, grey skies are so very boring. No swimming even, no walk with dog and I've read four murder mystery books since the first of August.

Under a cloud in the south of Ireland, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #550 on: August 11, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
No swimming in the rain, Paddy? I love swimming in the rain. It makes the water feel warmer. Snow is even better, not that that's happened very often.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #551 on: August 11, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
Hello, Young Baxendale.... you've been away for ages... all welll with you and yours, I trust?

Paddy, I have had a bowl of rice krispies for my supper.... I do not appreciate your tales of gastronomic goodies at this time.... at the very least, send me the leftovers! Not that I suppose there are any of those.... tsk!  :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #552 on: August 11, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »
Martin, the trouble is not with swimming in the rain it is getting changed under the weather.

Maggi, I could send you the recipes!

Paddy

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #553 on: August 11, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »
Hello, Young Baxendale.... you've been away for ages... all welll with you and yours, I trust?

Paddy, I have had a bowl of rice krispies for my supper.... I do not appreciate your tales of gastronomic goodies at this time.... at the very least, send me the leftovers! Not that I suppose there are any of those.... tsk!  :(

Hi Maggi. I've been working here on my own for the last month finishing a book while wife and kids soak up the sun visiting relatives in in Slovakia (30-35 degs C almost every day, a constant round of the local open-air swimming pool, walking in the hills and mushroom hunting in the forest).

Paddy just got my gastric juices flowing. Went straight to the kitchen to whip up a beef, red wine and veg casserole to slow-cook for a couple of hours while I finish a couple more cartoons and nip out to the gym to work up an appetite.

Weather (at least in England) should improve next week as I've got a couple of days at the seaside booked for me and Ivi for 15th wedding anniversary celebration - and I always pick the one really hot, sunny week of the summer for my hols (even if this year it's only 2 days). I know it's tempting fate but thought I'd warn you to stock up on sun cream before Thursday 21st arrives.   ;D

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #554 on: August 11, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »
Martin,

You're only a young fellow. We celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary last Saturday.

Enjoy the casserole.

Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal