We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 105559 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #585 on: August 18, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
for me, cats are a bit like snowdrops.............seen one........  :-\

Maggi  :o :o :o

You could not call Gemma ordinary
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #586 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
Well, that is different....not the cat sat on the mat but the cat sat on the art......appropriate enough for your cat, eh, Art?!!   ;)   I can certainly tell between the smART cat and the lovely Lachie.... the colour is the key  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #587 on: August 18, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
what I can tell you is, depending on sources, two thirds of or one months rain fall fell in a few hours over here. Many rivers broke their banks. A new upgraded road through belfast, the West Link, had a new underpass completely flooded. That's 7m/20 feet of water. Police werent answering phone calls on Saturday because, unbelievably, 100s or 1000s were made redundant recently. They couldnt cope with the floods

Just seen the pics on the news Mark, must have been awful for those flooded out. Hope you escaped unscathed.

Normal August day here today. Poured down all day, apart from one 10 minute spell.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #588 on: August 23, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »
I feel the need to announce that it is 11.34am and it has not rained so far today!!!

Indeed the sun has appeared sporadically.

modified at 6pm- previous post far too optimistic now torrential rain again
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 06:27:43 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #589 on: August 23, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
Somebody's turned the light on here as well!  8)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #590 on: August 23, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »
Pissing down now, that's normal as I'm about to go out >:(

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #591 on: August 23, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »
Dry day here until 10 minutes ago. Now it's back to normal-chucking it down.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #592 on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
The Meteorological Office is based in Exeter about 30 miles away from me so you would think that at least they might have a sporting chance of getting local forecasts right. The Bank Holiday week-end, they said would be dry, bright and warmish with only the odd shower!

Saturday-grey, overcast and heavy rain through Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Sunday-grey, overcast and from mid afternoon heavy drizzle.
Today-grey, overcast and heavy drizzle.

I may go over to see them tomorrow and see if they are interested in swopping their multi zillion £ computer system for a bucket of sea weed. I'm pretty certain if they hung up a clump of sea weed outside their palatial offices and felt it now and then they might do a little better!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #593 on: August 25, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
Even looking out the window might do the trick...  ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #594 on: August 25, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
Much too easy Luc ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #595 on: August 25, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
And of course that depends on the smog levels, or how clean your windows are.  They could forecast fog for days on end, not realising that they just have dirty windows and that was why they couldn't see outside.  ;D  I would have thought David that the seaweed solution was a big high-tech for them wasn't it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #596 on: August 25, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
The amount of money they spent on the new offices must mean they have the new hi-tech glass that cleans itself. Given the amount of rain we have had this year they should be permanently sparkling.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #597 on: September 01, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »
Well! good riddance to August and hello September. September started very well with a howling gale, heavy drizzle on and off all day, and from 1700 the rain has been pouring-so what's new :(     It felt more like November today.

Maureen's diary recorded 25 rain days in August, two short of the record 27 in October 2004.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #598 on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »
David

Your being so cheerful keeps ME going.  In your place I would have moved years ago.

We were promised thunderstorms with lashings of rain yesterday - almost nothing :(  ::) :(  I put off gardening and watched the cricket - between the heavy rain showers falling not many miles from me.  This was after my team managed their first point in the Premiership - it is all positive now ::) ::) ;D
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #599 on: September 02, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
Well, English cricket's worth watching just now, the national team anyway and led by a South African too. Poor old S.A. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal