We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 107411 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »
Martin,

East.  Receding, but for some areas it will take a while.  Long way north of here thankfully, although we could have used some of the rain.  Feels positively baked dry around here at the moment..... a fortnight of heat without rain tends to do that.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 04:33:01 AM »
Got stuck on a snowed-in road in the Cotswolds today

Snow? I shall think about that tonight as I watch the uncontrolled bushfire about a mile away and hope that the wind doesn't change.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 05:47:09 AM »
Rob,

Must admit I am expecting fires here again soon too.  With the good start early in spring, then the rain in November and December we have a big fuel load here at the moment...... all drying off VERY rapidly at the moment (ended up around 36'C here again today).  Thundestorms in the area at the moment as well, so that could easily start some fires too.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »
Floods, Fires, all manner of pestilence.... I wish all afflicted with such terrors safe and well.

It is nice and bright here  in Aberdeen.... just out checking temperature... it is  4 degrees C in the sun at the moment (Lunchtime) and has been down to minus 6 overnight. Still no sign of my Hamamellis buds opening.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »
We had frost and fog all day today. The builders only managed to put a layer of concrete into the founds this morning using hot water to ad to the mixture as the outside tap was frozen solid! Now (at 10.30 p.m.) it is still crunchy underfoot and about 0oC, but it's raining. Oops, as I speak it is turning to snow.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2008, 12:22:48 AM »
We won't here ever match our friends across the ditch for temperatures, but we've been doing quite well all the same. 33C at my house on the last two days, and 35, 120 miles north at Timaru where my daughter lives. Last night the temp didn't drop below 28 in the house so sleeping was impossible. I'm eagerly awaiting the south west change with some rain, the weather man says we're to have today. No sign of it yet though. I've to order water today or we'll be out in a couple of days. What's coming from the tank is distinctly murky (an oxymoron, if ever there was one).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2008, 08:54:29 PM »
Torrential rain here today and the builders started taking the roof off our kitchen today! :o Our en-suite is now out of bounds and there is a (formerly recessed) ceiling light dangling two feet from the kitchen ceiling too! It still works but apparently can't be put back because of something (romantically?) called a dwang!? At the weekend I will take pics of what they have done to the garden (no plants damaged, from what I can see).
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »
Of course, now the Darbys have gotthe builders in, the Scottish weather is bound to be awful for the duration. Just hope it doesn't reach  up here! Heating still not fixed... turns out it's the pump... gas man didn't have one!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »
Having gone through a very wet spell recently, again, (or perhaps continuous would be better!) with very heavy rain and gales last night, I popped down to the village to see what our local river, the River Earme, was looking like.

It rises about three/four miles away from where I live and tumbles down the steep Southern slope of Dartmoor to the sea at Mothercombe about five miles away. So, it is a short river and has the reputation of being one of the fastest risers and fallers in the country. Sure enough, by the time I got down there, it was less full than I would have thought, and whilst I was taking a few pictures one of the locals told me that I should have been down at 0800 this morning when it was in fine spate. Being a gentleman of leisure I don't do 0800's these days!

So, here are a couple of pictures together with one taken last March when it was in a more gentle mode. The bridge showing in the top right of the pictures is the ivy covered bridge from which the small town of Ivybridge gets it name-no prizes for guessing that then. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2008, 02:21:44 PM »
Planning for some white water rafting David ?  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2008, 02:25:38 PM »
Having gone through a very wet spell recently, again, (or perhaps continuous would be better!) with very heavy rain and gales last night

The same here. Raining more or less since the new year, and heavy rain and gales started mid-morning today :( It least it isn't cold (at least 14ºC) - I think the wind is from the south and south-west.
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »

Not likely, I'm a devout coward :-[
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2008, 02:51:36 PM »
Having gone through a very wet spell recently, again, (or perhaps continuous would be better!) with very heavy rain and gales last night

The same here. Raining more or less since the new year, and heavy rain and gales started mid-morning today :( It least it isn't cold (at least 14ºC) - I think the wind is from the south and south-west.

You are getting it before I do Chloe, can't you divert it in some way ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

Not likely, I'm a devout coward :-[

At least you're an honest chap.... ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
At least you're an honest chap....
Not to mention sensible  ::)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal