We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 111312 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Skite? The only definition I can find for that one is "splash or splatter". In the case it would be the glar that's doing the skiting--although if glar is sticky and slimey it's not likely to skite.

"Skite" (to skite) is used in NZ and perhaps in Aust, instead of "boast." One might skite about the superb condition of one's Dionysia (if one had one worth skiting about. :()

Olga's pic is stunning, and talking about good pics, is there any news anywhere 'bout the AGS Online show?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »
Anthony, I wondered what http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr would make of Burns' poem. I put in the first 2 verses, but since they don't have a Scottish to English option, I translated it from 'English' to German and then back again. This is what it came up with:

My after curse venom'd stang, this entry threads my tormented rubber alang: And by my beginnings of gies mony twang, Wi ' Zerfressen vengeance; My nerves wi violently tear up ' bitter Pang, how Rackingmaschinen! If burn fever or freeze ague, Rheumatics zerfressen or cholic pressing; Sympathy of our Nachbars can facilitate us, for Wi ' regretting Aechzen: But thee - Thouhoelle O ' A ' diseases, scoffs our Aechzen!

I think I understand that better than the original... :-[
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
"Skite" (to skite) is used in NZ and perhaps in Aust, instead of "boast." One might skite about the superb condition of one's Dionysia (if one had one worth skiting about.

In this sense skite is an abbreviation of blatherskite. And nobody has mentioned 'skite-the-gutter', where skite has a very different derivation.

Never leave home without a dictionary of slang.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
Looks pretty much like gobbledegook to me? Skite is just a Scots version of skate.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Anne, I think if you put that to music you are a dead cert to win the next Eurovision song contest  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
is there any news anywhere 'bout the AGS Online show?

Yes, the results are out ...
That's good, I don't think they were there when I looked yesterday or Wednesday....  :'(

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
If the path is 'skitey' (how would you spell that?) then it is bloody slippery, watch your feet.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:11 PM »
That's good, I don't think they were there when I looked yesterday or Wednesday....  :'(

yesterday WAS Wednesday I think  ;D
But maybe your heart is in NZ where it's already tomorrow   :'(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:01:47 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »
Diane, you may well be right... I mean, of course,  you ARE correct... yesterday WAS Wednesday... I meant about my heart.......... :-\

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
Diane, you may well be right... I mean, of course,  you ARE correct... yesterday WAS Wednesday... I meant about my heart.......... :-\

Ah! the romance is still there :-[
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »
David,

Nah, she's just expecting him to bring her some chocolate home, that's all!!  ;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2008, 11:55:47 AM »
I remember my dad telling me a story about two bloke leaving a certain establishment (probably the Pack Horse in Dalton?) when they heard a noise. "What's that?" exclaimed one. "It's an owl" replied the other. "I know it's an 'owl, but what's 'owlin'?" said the first. :P

Well, it's certainly 'owling around here today. Gales, driving rain and floods. Certainly won't be a braw bricht moon licht nicht the nicht!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
I remember my dad telling me a story about two bloke leaving a certain establishment (probably the Pack Horse in Dalton?) when they heard a noise. "What's that?" exclaimed one. "It's an owl" replied the other. "I know it's an 'owl, but what's 'owlin'?" said the first. :P

Well, it's certainly 'owling around here today. Gales, driving rain and floods. Certainly won't be a braw bricht moon licht nicht the nicht!

Owls about that then, as Jimmy Savile might have said! ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
On quite a few days of last week we had fairly strong winds from the South (our prevailing wind direction is South West) on some evenings we had rain and the following day cars, house windows, and greenhouses were covered with a sandy deposit. This topic cropped up in the local press and our local TV weatherman (who normally forecasts the weather to be the exact opposite of what turns out!) says it was as a result of strong winds in the Sahara desert and low pressure systems sucking up sand, to be then deposited all over my nice clean car. I seem to notice that this happens regularly these days when the wind is in the South.

Has anyone else in the UK noticed this phenomenon, and has anyone in Europe (not that we aren't in Europe of course! ;D ) noticed it?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal