We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 107465 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #435 on: May 14, 2008, 09:35:48 AM »
Out of interest can I ask all those in the UK and Ireland to make a quick comment about rain or lack of. Is your ground wet or dust?

This is our 41st day without rain other than the 2x1 mils that fell last week. The casualties continue mainly bulbs and alpines
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #436 on: May 14, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
An abundance of dry, sunny weather here in Lancashire, Mark (which will promptly end now that I have mentioned it  :) ), but the grass on the moors outside my window is still lush and green and I am only watering plants in pots at present.  Liverpool had flash flooding in the past couple of days and light rain is predicted for this region on Thursday/Friday.  Anything is preferable to the horrors inflicted on the poor people of Burma and China.  The loss of a few plants through a temporary drought seems very minor in comparison?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #437 on: May 14, 2008, 10:11:39 AM »
Very much so.

I just spoke to a forum watcher who lives 45 miles away. Last Thursday they had a huge down pour along with thunder and lightening. My half barrel water feature is down to half. The grassy areas outside my house are turning brown
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #438 on: May 14, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »
Dry as a bone here and scorching hot, up to 26-27 C (until the weather changes tomorrow). Still moisture in the soil though from earlier rains so not much suffering. Bulbs dying down but it's time for that. Snowdrop seed pods ripening nicely.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #439 on: May 14, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »
Hate to say it Mark but there are perfect growing conditions here. The ground is moist from previous rain. There is little wind, the mornings are cool with dew and the afternoons lovely and sunny. The flowers are staying on the plants for quite a time and new ones are opening with the afternoon sun. Compared to last year when it had been dry and windy for 10wks until we came back from the Prague conference.
I might regret saying this as we might not get anymore rain or too much rain from now on.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #440 on: May 14, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
We've had the odd shower either early in the morning or later at night over the last week or so but good bright days... we get a bit of haar ( sea-mist) in the evenings which cools things down and is very slightly damp but no really high temps. here... just very nice... this may be summer :o ???
That said, we've been watering today.... and getting our photo taken by the local paper for a bit of Show publicity for Saturday!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2008, 07:00:37 PM »
I think I would like too much rather than too little rain. My water bill has just come in and it has gone from £0.72 to £1.97 per sq.metre.  >:(
Susan

Susan's website:

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »
I was going to ask if you are coming up to the Show, Susan, thought you and Addie might fancy a weekend in Aberdeen..... but reading your last post, I expect you cannot afford the petrol  :-\  That's a very nasty price rise, isn't it? Daylight robbery, me thinks. >:(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:23:55 PM by Maggi Young »

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #443 on: May 14, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
Maggi, I think we will be too busy trying to dig a well, with any luck we might hit oil instead of water. ;D
 I have pushed the limit on shows for the year, Addie has been along to 4, I think that is his max.
Susan

Susan's website:

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #444 on: May 14, 2008, 07:36:31 PM »
Aberdeen being the country's oil capital, Susan, you perhaps should come up to seek advice from the local oil big-shots!  I'd quite like to see Addie as Jed Clampett, mind, better than JR Ewing!!  ;) ;)

If you're to be digging, then  I hope the sun shines on you and on the Aberdeen show!  Can't you train up Heather the Terrorist    (sorry, slip of the pen) Terrier, to do the digging for you?   ::) ;)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #445 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:57 PM »
Well, I did tell you what would happen as soon as I got my shade paint on my greenhouse!

Intermittent very heavy showers all day today and a half hour thunderstorm with torrential rain and hail is just coming to an end (don't think I have ever seen before as many lightening bolts in a concentrated period-you would have been under the table Maggi! The forecast for tomorrow and Friday is more of the same.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »
Well, I did tell you what would happen as soon as I got my shade paint on my greenhouse!

Intermittent very heavy showers all day today and a half hour thunderstorm with torrential rain and hail is just coming to an end (don't think I have ever seen before as many lightening bolts in a concentrated period-you would have been under the table Maggi! The forecast for tomorrow and Friday is more of the same.
It must be coming up from Portugal, David  :( No lightening, but heavy showers, wind and (for us) rather chilly temperatures. Not much fun  :-\

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #447 on: May 14, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »
No rain here for weeks,soil dust dry, and no rain forecast for the coming days.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #448 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:48 AM »
I think I would like too much rather than too little rain. My water bill has just come in and it has gone from £0.72 to £1.97 per sq.metre.  >:(
Susan

I'm puzzled, or should that be puddled? How does one get a square metre of water? :-\
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2008, 09:26:40 AM »
I knew someone would spot my mistake, I meant 1 cubic metre.Still a rip off no matter what.

Susan's website:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal