We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 105600 times)

arisaema

Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #495 on: July 05, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
Could you please send some gale northwards? It's reached 27C already, awfully muggy with no wind :P

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #496 on: July 05, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
Not sure exactly where you are in Norway arisaema but if you take Bergen as a marker you can expect some rain on Monday (max. 16C, light winds from East), showers on Tuesday (max. 20C, light winds from East) and sun on Wednesday (max. 18C light winds from North East).

Horrendous here today with gale force winds and driving rain from early and still going. This afternoon we visited a small beach, where we normally go in Autumn and Winter when there is a storm force South West wind blowing, just to watch the waves crashing in (simple people we are!!). In over 20 years of living in Devon I have never before seen worse seas in what purports to be Summer. The beach faces South West and gale conditions are usually spectacular there but today surpassed many others in the depths of Winter. According to a local surfer, who took one look at the waves and decided not to bother!, waves rounding the point of the bay were in excess of 12 meters. Looking out through the mist and the spray through the little bay and into Lyme Bay itself a fleet of tankers, coasters, and other ships had moored seeking some shelter from the worst of the storm. I forgot to take the camera so you will have ro rely on my description.

Lots of flattened plants in the garden and lots of very soggy soil. Although I closed down somewhat the top vents in my greenhouse (which are normally wide open all year round) rain drove in through the remaining gap as well as through the galvanised wire mesh which covers the greenhouse door, and trays of newly re-potted bulbs under the staging look somewhat damp on top.

All in all not one of my better days!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arisaema

« Reply #497 on: July 05, 2008, 08:08:58 PM »
I'm further south, not far from Kristiansand, but we're supposed to get rain here too. No wind though, but we had enough last week :P Your weather today sounds awful, on the bright side at least it can't possibly get any worse!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #498 on: July 05, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »
Another good day here.... it was not bad for the cricket, Susan, though somewhat changeable.... story of the year so far, I suppose.  I am ashamed to say, that even though the cricket pitch is only  half a mile down the road, I did not go and barely knew it was happening :-[ I was aware in advance that it was going to happen, but at the time family matters took a bad turn and the whole thing pretty much passed unnoticed. Have to say, there wasn't much in the way of press coverage locally.... which seemed a bit strange. :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #499 on: July 05, 2008, 09:52:14 PM »
We are living in the West of "Waterland', but we had most of the last week
very nice weather. Two days were rather warm with over 25 C. but there was a
nice wind.
There were many thunderstorms in the Netherlands, but they were all more inland.
We, near the sea, know that the thunderstorms here are mostly taken by the sea after the
longest day.
There were some little showers now and then, but it's mostly to dry here.
(Good for harvesting bulbs!  ;D ) And we had beautiful blue skies for several days.
Today started beautiful and late in the afternoon we had some nice raining.
Now this is over and tomorrow we'll have nice weather again.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #500 on: July 05, 2008, 11:40:09 PM »
My potting shed is raised on sleepers because that area floods, so I wasn't very happy today to be crossing my moat every couple of minutes during a thunderstorm while harvesting bulbs. I finally decided to give up until it passed over.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #501 on: July 06, 2008, 02:59:02 AM »
Plenty snow here too. My Lola looks like Santa Claus at the moment; red suit with snow-white beard, moustache and hair.

Yesterday the Market closed 2 hours ealy as the wind/snow/rain were so heavy and beastly. We still had shoppers though. True heroes!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #502 on: July 06, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
My local forecast on the BBC website keeps promising rain - and it never comes.  Today I have blue skies and no rain, yet the forecast is once again rain.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

arisaema

« Reply #503 on: July 07, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Be careful what you wish for... Heavy rain here, only 16C.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #504 on: July 07, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
Told you so, arisaema :P

Monsoon like rain here today. Arthur you need to go West young man!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #505 on: July 07, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »
David

Today the weather lived up to the forecast - rain glorious rain.  The trouble is the forecast is rain for the rest of the week - and they might get it right every day.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #506 on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:04 AM »
We haven't had the snow that Lesley, Sue and Paul have had, but we've finally had a decent drop of rain! 26mm, just over an inch, in the space of 24 hours! A nice gentle soak which will do a world of good to all the recently transplanted trees and bulbs, etc.
I guess that it's finally winter here in Central Victoria!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #507 on: July 09, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
As yet another Atlantic low pressure system sweeps in from the South West we enter the ninth day of July and also the ninth day in July on which we have had rain (in quantity!) at some time of the day. Rain is driving in on a very strong South West wind and the forecast says it will continue for most of the day with localised flooding. I suppose, living at about 400 feet and on a steep slope, I shouldn't worry to much about flooding!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #508 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
I suppose, living at about 400 feet and on a steep slope, I shouldn't worry to much about flooding!

One positive thing at least David....   ;)

Anyway - same here - rain and wind.... and I only live at 45 feet...
 :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #509 on: July 09, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »
Glad we seem to be sharing out the misery Luc! ;D

Still blowing a gale here; still pouring down here, as it has been every minute of the day. I spent most of the day reading, mainly about Iris species and forms, and getting very worried about the many varieties of Iris reticulata planted out, and flowered, last year in my new bulb beds as every book I pick up draws my attention to their need for a dry Summer dormancy. Here!, they must be joking.

Later in the afternoon I went down to the village to take a look at our local river, the Earme. I could here the rushing of the water as I opened my front door and we are about a half mile from it's banks as it flows down the steep escarpment of southern Dartmoor. Managed to take a few pictures.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal