We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 105567 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
Sorry to hear cat is such a duff conversationalist.....one down the road witters on about the price of fish all the time :-X
Maggi,
I'm not sure what Lachie has been telling Will,
80830-0
but I'm sure it's something about believing that he's actually a koala!
80832-1!
cheers
fermi
P.S. We're finally getting a decent drop of rain, it hasn't all ended up in NZ!
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #571 on: August 13, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »
Lachie is a cutie!!  What type of cat?  British short hair, or are the ears like the Fans.  Looks like quite a small breed?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:59:42 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #572 on: August 13, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »
Seems Lachie is showing his versatility by his koala act.... talent shows are all the rage on TV here... he must have ambitions.

Will just take this chance to send love and congratulations to Will on his recent good news on health front... Yippee! Let the travelling commence, eh? !! :-* :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #573 on: August 13, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Horrendous day here today, torrential rain and very strong gales. This morning I went out and closed the greenhouse roof vents as I feared the lot would disappear over the fence-never had gales like it in August before.

Many of the plants just don't know what season it is. I have two Acer palmatums in pots which are both in full Autumn colour and I noticed today that a Camellia in the front garden has a flower open. Crazy.

13th day of August and rained on 12.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2008, 09:23:02 PM »
Hope you've got the guys from the Guinness Book of Records lined up David. When does it become a record for rainy days in a summer month. 30 out of 31? way to go yet then. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #575 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »
Eureka- it didn't rain today, well, not yet anyway, and I managed a whole day in the garden, first this month. Our local forecast last night was for heavy showers developing around lunchtime, so, wrong again. I see from this mornings paper that some forecasters are saying we are in for 5 years of poor Summers. If they can't manage to get one day at a time right, with all the expensive technology at their disposal, I'm not going to worry too much about the next five years.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #576 on: August 14, 2008, 08:45:43 PM »
Eureka- it didn't rain today, well, not yet anyway, and I managed a whole day in the garden, first this month. Our local forecast last night was for heavy showers developing around lunchtime, so, wrong again. I see from this mornings paper that some forecasters are saying we are in for 5 years of poor Summers. If they can't manage to get one day at a time right, with all the expensive technology at their disposal, I'm not going to worry too much about the next five years.

That seems a reasonable approach, David. I do wonder why they even have all that satellite stuff etc when they can't even look out of the window and tell what is actually going on that day :P

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #577 on: August 15, 2008, 07:19:41 AM »
According to the forecast, today will be the hottest day of the year, with 39°C. Maybe, but I already measured a few times this temperature this summer. Anyway, this summer we also had more rain then usual  ;D
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

SueG

« Reply #578 on: August 15, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »
It poured and poured in Newcastle yesterday but today, it's not raining and hasn't rained so far at all, only problem is that I'm stuck inside at my desk trying to earn the money to do the gardening and the forecast for the weekend is . . . . . yep, yet more rain. I enjoy my job hugely but there are limits.  ::)
Oh well, have to hope the forecasters are wrong and the rain holds off, at this rate I was thinking of taking up ark building, I'd swear the cats are getting webbed feet . . . lets hope for one day when it is fine over the weekend!
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #579 on: August 17, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
seems the nasty weather is particularly bad  with tornados in Poland and floods in lots of Ireland.
Feel rather gulity that it is quite good here in Aberdeen... real thick haar has come in tonight though and had reached six miles inland from us by 19.30 hrs. Fog is always spooky, isn't it? Worst part is folk will be speeding in it and crashing. Every day paper is full of horrible accidents, tho' most have little to do with the weather......  :-X

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #580 on: August 17, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
We managed to escape the rain yesterday and today, thank goodness, but unsettled weather with rain is forecast for the foreseeable future on the met office site.  Depressing.... I'm trying to get a big privet hedge cut back and need to shred it, not much chance of getting on with that while its like this.  It is going to give me some much needed shade to grow things in though, when I've got it sorted.  If only we could get a week of dry weather!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #581 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
Chris, I'd settle for just two days running :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #582 on: August 18, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
what I can tell you is, depending on sources, two thirds of or one months rain fall fell in a few hours over here. Many rivers broke their banks. A new upgraded road through belfast, the West Link, had a new underpass completely flooded. That's 7m/20 feet of water. Police werent answering phone calls on Saturday because, unbelievably, 100s or 1000s were made redundant recently. They couldnt cope with the floods
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #583 on: August 18, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »
Mark
I know you kept asking for rain earlier in the year, but I bet even you did not expect to get in one day.

Saw the floods on TV and can only imagine how bad it was for those families flooded out of their homes.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #584 on: August 18, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
Paul, I see Fermi has missed your question about the breed of Lachie..... he is a " Scottish Fold"....of course, I only know this because Fermi told me when he sent photos of Lachie when he was a newly arrived kitten..... for me, cats are a bit like snowdrops.............seen one........  :-\

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal