We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather 2008  (Read 105547 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Weather 2008
« Reply #720 on: December 21, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »
Well, for the shortest day of the year it wasn't a bad one here in Devon or indeed in Herefordshire and Worcestershire. We took a quick trip up the M5 to pick up Maureen's Mum from Ledbury in Herefordshire and brought her back down with us to spend Christmas here.

When we left home the car was showing an external temperature of 15C and the sky was patchy blue and it only dropped by one degree all the way up the motorway. When we drove back into the drive earlier this evening it was still showing 12C.

On the borders of Devon and Somerset fields were full of sheep with new born lambs and the first reports I heard on the local news broadcasts of early lambs were at the beginning of November.

As we turned off the M5 onto the M50 near Tewkesbury the chain of the Malvern Hills was on our right and with the sun at a low angle at this time of the year and shining directly onto the face of the Malverns it was a sight to cherish. The Malverns are my favourite hills standing proud over the Severn plain. As mountains go I suppose that these days they are nothing to shout about with Worcestershire Beacon being the highest in the chain at 425 meters. For a chain of extinct volcanoes they are now gentle and welcoming and still provide an airy walk without any fear of vertigo. Think though what they must have been like 600 million years ago when they were formed from igneus and metamorphic rocks in the pre Cambrian period (a bit before my time, Cliff might know though :P) If you would like to see more   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvern_Hills

This part of Herefordshire and Worcestershire is famous for growing mistletoe and many trees at the sides of the road had heavy clumps of it. In the early part of December each year a mistletoe fair and market is held in Tenbury Wells wher growers meet to sell their crops with buyers from all over England and Wales coming to buy. This year crops were heavy and prices cheap to the extent that growers were virtually giving crops away. Price of a sprig of mistletoe at my local Tesco = £3. Something wrong somewhere!!

Ah well, Spring can't be long now.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #721 on: December 21, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Price of a sprig of mistletoe at my local Tesco = £3. Something wrong somewhere!!

That does seem a bit steep... did you ask if they've reduced the VAT?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #722 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
Did think about telling them where to stick it but then thought holly might be more appropriate ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #723 on: December 21, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
David  - re: Tesco project

Ilex auiqfolium 'Ferox' might be appropriate as there are spines on the upper sides of the leaves as well. Second thought, the leaves are on the small side.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #724 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:40 PM »
David  - re: Tesco project

Ilex auiqfolium 'Ferox' might be appropriate as there are spines on the upper sides of the leaves as well. Second thought, the leaves are on the small side.

johnw

;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #725 on: December 21, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
I meant to add this Link about the Malverns and forgot. It shows the whole chain. Sorry, but I said they were my favourites :-[

http://www.malvern-hills.co.uk/panorama.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johnw

« Reply #726 on: December 22, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
re: Nova Scotia

We are having a bit of weather here. The winds started in the evening last night and snow started around 8pm.  The winds here in Halifax were clocked at a sustained 93 km/hr with gusts to 120. The house shook from top to bottom for most of the night. Mercifully we only got a few inches of snow but the wind is still blowing. The power was out from 8:30 am until a few minutes ago (6 hours), temp -3c. The power crew could not go up in their buckets due to the fierce wind, as well their trucks were unstable due to the icy streets. A brave linesman in this section clearly went up anyway. Still 84,000 homes without power and the temperature is plummeting.

Yarmouth clocked 140 km/hr and Cheticamp in Cape Breton which is routinely hit by les suetes clocked 190 km/hr! The doors were blown off the funeral home there.  (Awaiting some clever comments on that.)

-8c tonight and above freezing from Wednesday onward.

from the internet:  "damaging local winds are known as Les Suetes, derived from the word for southeast: sud est. These southeasterlies are created when a frontal inversion causes a funnelling effect over the Cape Breton mountains. As the winds rush down the side of the highlands, strong gusts develop which have been recorded to exceed 150km/h (94 mph)." Someone will have to update that.

johnw 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:17:50 PM by johnw »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #727 on: December 22, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
I hope the winds arent coming our way! It's a nice 11C outside just now
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

« Reply #728 on: December 22, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
re: I hope the winds arent coming our way!

The winds are still here and headed east. They'd better not turn back west.

johnw

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #729 on: December 23, 2008, 09:01:54 AM »
Big thunderstorms moving in from the south, here this evening.  There was even a fairly respectable tornado 100km south of us, at least judging by the picture they showed on the news tonight.  Not something we commonly see here (thankfully), just the little dust devils in summer.  I hope the storm bearing down on us doesn't produce any twisters within the city.  They still wouldn't be anything like those in the US have to suffer through every summer.

As long as we get some more rain out of it I'll be happy.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #730 on: December 27, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »
There's a low flying bright white UFO in the sky outside my house today. Has anyone seen anything like it before?

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #731 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »
It's a phenomenon called a solar glimpse, Mark ... cover your eyes and it will disappear.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Gunilla

« Reply #732 on: December 27, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
I caught a glimpse of it too, but when I tried to get it on photo it was almost gone  :-\
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #733 on: December 27, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »
Such colour, Gunilla! I almost feel warm enough to take my gloves off!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #734 on: December 27, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
Alex in another thread was talking about Crocus flowers elongating. It's little wonder when the sun is so low in the sky

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal