We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 6348 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: January 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:32 AM »
Lovely to see a genuine Origanum dictamnus. I lost mine a few years ago and the replacements I've bought have all been O. tournefortii, another good one, but larger and not so woolly/white.

John, I kept mine bone dry in a pot this last winter and just as well I think as it rained and rained and rained all through. The previous winter before we moved it was in a smaller pot and not arid but still sheltered and frost free under shade cloth. I don't think it's as hardy as the choc cosmos so before I move it out to join that, I might wait and divide the tuber, as an insurance. I haven't sniffed at it yet but will do so. Right now in fact as it's about 8pm and the sun is shining after a tropical downpour around 4-5pm.

Mmmm... not really, or very faintly and sweeter rather than bitter choc as in the comos. The rain has washed it out rather and the single flower is coming to its end I think. I did pollinate it this morning but there was no visible pollen on my finger so whether it will work I've yet to see. Seed for you if it does.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
We are trying a whole range of origanums out on the new Mediterranean bed with winter cover. Never succeeded well with O. dictamnus so far but it is a fine plant when you see it growing well. Really looking forward to this spring when the bed can be uncovered and we will see how well everything grows away.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »
This Epidendron is flowering in the front garden now.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
Wow!!!
Eye-burning and impressive Anthony!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
Lesley - Pass the seed on to forumists as I have had my go at it.  As best as I remember the first year there was no pollen but the following it was copious and by hand-pollinating it produced a goodly amount of seed.

I wonder if a species name has ever surfaced as it was collected wild in Mexico. 

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »
We have lots of origanums here. They obviously like the dry conditions. I have a batch of self sown seedlings resulting from random crosses between Kent Beauty and Barbara Tingey and one of them is about to be released as a PBR plant under the name of Bellissimo.

Anyway here are a few more pics. They are not of good quality because the sun is too strong even from very early in the morning.

O. amanum - an excellent species which should be more widely grown here.
O. rotundifolium - a variegated form which is so long-lasting.
O. Bellissimo
And finally a random seedling which is almost identical to Kent Beauty.

Cheers, Marcus

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »
We have lots of origanums here.....And finally a random seedling which is almost identical to Kent Beauty.

Cheers, Marcus
I have to disagree with you there, Marcus, :o
it looks much better!!! ;D
Can't wait to get a couple of these! Will they be released through an Agent on the Mainland North Island?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
Hi Fermi,

Yes it's going all over the place starting in Australia and then New Zealand, Europe and hopefully the USA. In Australia it's sold through PMA.

I am hoping the variegated plant  will be picked up but its less of a sure thing. They are such great container plants with very long lasting colour so they practical pick themselves as a good mass market item.

I find Origanum dictamnus a beast to propagate. Anyone have any tips that they can pass on?

Cheers, M

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 07:27:39 PM »
Superb plant Marcus, and brilliantly named. Do you grow the white form of O. amanum? This is a nice robust hybrid from Marina Christopher - Origanum 'Phoenix seedling' which will be interesting to compare with 'Kent Beauty'.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

fenius

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
hello, sorry to intrude from beyond the Wall but while you're on the subject, could you id mine too please?? I'll delete the post after!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
hello, sorry to intrude from beyond the Wall but while you're on the subject, could you id mine too please?? I'll delete the post after!!

I'm sure your plant ID will be of interest to others, Fenia, and not just in  North or South  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fenius

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »
 :) Ok then, I'll leave it up to you to move it later to the ids if you want, I put it here because there seem to be a lot of origanum experts!

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 06:26:30 AM »
Marcus , your Origanum 'Bellissimo ' is a stunner and aptly named .

I find cuttings of O. dictamnus  taken in early summer strike reasonable easy in a medium of peat , perlite and coarse sand .
   I think I gave it to you many years ago .

Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
My Acis autumnalis sown in January 2012 continues to flower, and my Nerine has produced four flowering stems from three bulbs, one now being past.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
My Acis autumnalis sown in January 2012 continues to flower, and my Nerine has produced four flowering stems from three bulbs, one now being past.

Anthony,
The Acis flower is a quick and beautiful result - nice Nerine also!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal