We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in January 2014  (Read 62979 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus in January 2014
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »
I have a notion that Corrin and Megan may be derived from Warburg seedlings, too, Brian .

Oddly enough,  most of the G. nivalis in my front garden are Welsh!  A gift from a Welsh friend many years ago who had a lot of snowdrops  growing well on her small farm - no named types though -  " just  snowdrops"!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2014, 10:44:46 PM »
Hello everyone,
A friend suggested that I ask if any SRGC members can tell me whether there are any named snowdrop varieties/cultivars which have a confirmed origin in Wales - we garden in west Wales where many snowdrops seem to thrive, but as yet I haven't come across any named ones with a definite Welsh origin/source. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Since this is a first post, apologies if it's not been placed in the correct way!
Thanks Julian
Julian,
I'll email you with contact details for Bob and Rannveig Wallis - They'll be a great source of information I'm sure, since they grow such an amazing range of blubs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:49:08 PM by Maggi Young »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »
The late Simon Savage was based in Shropshire and introduced a number of new snowdrops which he found 'in the wild'.  He gave a talk at the Galanthus Gala in 2008 but I cannot remember if he crossed the border into Wales to find his introductions.

Or if you know anywhere in Wales with a large seeding population of snowdrops then give me a few hours and I could probably find something worth cultivating and possibly ultimately naming, if it thrived.
Almost in Scotland.

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »
The late Simon Savage? Goodness, I remember his talk and bought some of his snowdrops. He was still quite a young man!
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »
The late Simon Savage? Goodness, I remember his talk and bought some of his snowdrops. He was still quite a young man!

Brian  told us the news of Simon Savage's passing  on September  1st 2012 :

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9396.msg255078#msg255078

John Grimshaw wrote an appreciation :  http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/simon-savage-1965-2012.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:30:16 PM by Maggi Young »

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »
Thank you Maggi, I missed that ... sad news for me now.
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2014, 03:44:48 AM »
Hello everyone,
A friend suggested that I ask if any SRGC members can tell me whether there are any named snowdrop varieties/cultivars which have a confirmed origin in Wales - we garden in west Wales where many snowdrops seem to thrive, but as yet I haven't come across any named ones with a definite Welsh origin/source. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Since this is a first post, apologies if it's not been placed in the correct way!
Thanks Julian

Welcome to the forum, Julian.  If there is any group that can help you track down Welsh snowdrops it's this group.  You already have Alan volunteering to track them down in person on Welsh soil!  With your penchant for science and investigation, you will also enjoy all the technical discussions that take place here.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #292 on: January 22, 2014, 07:22:27 AM »
Some nivalis populations seem to be sterile.  For example, if you go here http://www.wheddoncross.org.uk/snowdropvalley.htm you will see large numbers of snowdrops but few if any seedlings and very little difference between the snowdrops.  Seedlings produce a narrow single leaf and, although a damaged bulb can do the same, unless something is badly wrong you wouldn't expect to see a large proportion of damaged bulbs.  Whereas in a seeding population of snowdrops you should see a large number of seedlings.

Wherever you find a large seeding population of snowdrops you will see much more variation between individuals and if you look often enough and hard enough you will eventually find something that might be worthy of cultivation.  You then need to cosset it and observe it for a few years to make sure it multiplies and comes true.  If it has good qualities and is distinguishable for the large number of snowdrops that already have a name then it might be worthy of being named itself.  And name or no-name, you will probably have grown attached to it by then and want to keep it going.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:28:48 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Olive Mason

« Reply #293 on: January 22, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
'Welshway occure in the garden of Hilary Purkiss in Gloucestershire.  It was named after the old road on which her house stands so sadly has no connection with Wales
Not only snowdrops

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
Wonderful detective story developing! I wonder if Jim and Jenny Archibald had any special snowdrops that occurred in their garden? Species snowdrop seed was sometimes listed by them I think and could be given honorary Welsh origins! Looks like this could be a whole new terrain for snowdrop lovers.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »
This talk of snowdrop origins made me review my own named snowdrop find, 'Green Light'.  This came from a wood near the border between Cambridgeshire and Suffolk but to my surprise, I found I was actually in Suffolk and not Cambridgeshire when I found it (the opposite of what I had always thought I knew, but never verified).  So add one to the tally for Suffolk and strike one off the tally for Cambridgeshire.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:03:12 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
Hi Julian,
   A slightly tenuous connection… but.. 'Mrs Macnamara' is reported to have been named after Dylan Thomas’s mother-in-law… (and is sometimes grown as ‘Milkwood’!)

Tim DH

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
Some nivalis populations seem to be sterile.

Alan  - Such seems to be the case here, the largest & oldest nivalis stands seem to produce zero seed.  Is this a ploidy issue?

johnw 
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »
Can you get ploidy issues within a single species?  I thought they arose with inter-species hybrids.

Much of the UK nivalis population may derive from a very few bulbs brought here originally for use in religious ceremony.  For example, the Exmoor population I cited as sterile has clearly been there a very long time.  If the original gene pool was small, perhaps selection processes then favoured a sterile snowdrop.  Then I suspect many of the well-established nivalis populations in Nova Scotia might derive originally from the UK.       
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
Then I suspect many of the well-established nivalis populations in Nova Scotia might derive originally from the UK.

Alan  - I think you are quite correct, they certainly would pre-date the advent of Dutch imports.

re: ploidy issues  I think you can, at least it seems to be the case within Appalachian azalea species.  I suppose one aberrant nivalis tetraploid could cross (as the pollen parent) with other regular nivalis and produce sterile triploids.  I defer to anyone with a grasp of these matters......... ??? ???

johnw
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:02:30 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal