We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in January 2014  (Read 63555 times)

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
Re: Galanthus in January 2014
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 02:37:10 AM »
Carolyn   - The snowdrop buds will be totally unfazed by 3F., not to worry one little bit.

john

Thanks, Richard.

John, I wasn't worried about the buds that are still tight.  I have a lot of flowers that have just opened on 'Standing Tall', a new introduction added to my garden last spring, and a large patch of beautiful X-marked G. elwesii that I am trialing and very excited about.  I should be able to remove the pine needles on Thursday.  I hope you are right and they are fine.  How cold does it get where you are?  Is it Nova Scotia?  How cold can it get without damaging open flowers?  Another single digit night tonight.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »
Leena,  In the mid-Atlantic US, G. nivalis and all its cultivars bloom later (as you said).   I really like 'Viridapice' ('old' but still beautiful) and 'Blewbury Tart', both very vigorous.  G. woronowii also blooms later but I don't have any of its cultivars, 'Elizabeth Harrison' anyone?  'Straffan' and 'Warham' also both bloom at the end of the main season here.  As Brian said though bloom time is weather dependent.

Thank you for the suggestions, Carolyn. :) I have had 'Viridapice' for two years now and it seems to like it here and I like it very much. G.woronovii does ok and it is the latest snowdrop I have right now. I have also unnamed G.plicatus (I've become a big fan of all plicatus cultivars), but not 'Warham', and 'Straffan' was planted last summer.
How awful weather you've had, the big temperature changes are not good for plants. :( I hope your snowdrops continue flowering.
I'm also interested in which snowdrops do well in Canada, I think your winter over there is as long (and as snowy) as in here.
Leena from south of Finland

Mavers

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:35 AM »
Hello Carolyn, the TV pictures & videos of the 'Arctic Vortex' you are enduring in the USA is staggering.

You have arctic conditions & we are being pounded by extreme rain, gales & huge waves...........that Jet Stream has a lot to answer for!

Mike
Somerset, UK

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
The tiniest and most exquisite snowdrop we have flowering at the moment, and with the longest name - Galanthus reginae-olgae ssp. vernalis 'John Marr' (from Joe Sharman). The outer tepals measure just 14mm and although it may look very like a very small form of nivalis its distinct leaves and habit give it amazing charm. Another lovely form of this subspecies is Kenneth Beckett's AM form which is not yet showing (so I hope it's still there!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
Galanthus 'Helen Tomlinson' looking nice at the moment. Helen was a long time friend and this is a nice plant to remeber her by.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
Galanthus 'Helen Tomlinson' looking nice at the moment. Helen was a long time friend and this is a nice plant to remeber her by.

Definitely looking good. Mine are just noses poking through

Very happy to see my Ecusson d'Or are back up again. You may remember me moaning about it not coming back the year after I got it and maybe the year after also. Whatever happened while gone it returned last year with two flowers. This year there will be at least 4 flowers.

Ailwyn continues to be a good plant. December 23rd 2012 I said I'm happy to see my 3 single nosed Ailwyn, bought 2011, have increased to 8 noses. I'm now up to 11 flowering sized bulbs.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Rudi B.

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
Hello,

this is my new  G. niv. sandersii 'Günter Bauer' with 4-5 outher and inner perianthsegments. The pale yellow in the greenhouse is much stronger in the field.

Rudi

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
Looking good Rudi. Is it stable after a year or two?

Uwe

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:57 PM »
Very nice Rudi.
It is much too warm:

Picture 1: Ailwyn
Picture 2: South Hayes
Picture 3: plicatus-which usually blooms in february
Picture 4: Leucojum vernum

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
Carolyn  - On the coast we are Zone 6.  We had 0F here a week or so ago but missed that cold snap the US had in the past 2 days, it was +12c here, raining with blowing fog.

I have seen 0F on open flowers one year and though they collapsed they perked up after the temperature rose.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Managed to have a peek in my frames at the snowdrops, but had to take photos with one hand hanging on to the frame lights so they didn't take off in the wind!
Pleased to see two nice flowers from the cross South Hayes x Trimmer (Trymmer?), and Selborne Greentips being exceptionally obliging with its twin flowers, if not the green tips..
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
wow Anne your cross is amazing. I've edited down the first photo

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 09:08:31 PM »
I forgot my breath, Anne.
Your first seedling, you showed us, will have a promising future.
Well done!
Congratulations!!
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

snowdropcollector

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »
Woooowwwwwwwww Anne, that is a great looking seedling  :o :o :o :o
I hope for you, that you will have more seedlings looking like this one. Well done and congratulations from my side also !!
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »
Well done Anne, that is a good cross.  Are there more from the same batch of seed showing promise?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal