We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in January 2014  (Read 62989 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus in January 2014
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »
Okay Anne, you have bred yellow snowdrops and now you have bred a very green one.  Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to produce something like your latest green one in yellow!

Seriously, congratulations on this latest example of your snowdrop-breeding success.
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
These are from the same cross last year. The one you like has 2 flowers this year. It frustrates me not being able to chip it - I'll probably lose the marking. When I have enough, I will chip one to see what happens. There is at least one reverse poculiform that chips true, so we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:44:59 AM by annew »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
I don't do chipping myself but it has always been my understanding that reverse poculiform snowdrops occasionally don't chip true but usually do.  For example, last season Matt Bishop was selling huge quantities of one of the Trym derivatives that could only have been created by chipping.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
I don't do chipping myself but it has always been my understanding that reverse poculiform snowdrops occasionally don't chip true but usually do.  For example, last season Matt Bishop was selling huge quantities of one of the Trym derivatives that could only have been created by chipping.

There are two points here Alan, firstly there is a difference between chipping and twin-scaling.  With twin-scaling the pieces of the bulb are very small and if the genetic material is not contained in that scale then the resultant bulb may not come true.  Whereas chipping is a larger chunk and usually is fine as I understand it. Much of this has come from twin-scaling the likes of South Hayes which can result in some bulbs losing the outer marks.

Secondly I assume you mean Matt's selling of Trumps, I am sure he will respond, but he said on eBay that he was amazed at the vigour of that bulb and in a few years it had increased tremendously so perhaps it was natural growth of the clump.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Matt Bishop

• Matt Bishop - Snowdrops
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

Just a quick note to say that all of the 'Trumps' I sold last year were originally twinscales (five bulbs) planted in 2004 and thereafter resulted from natural increase only - which I know sounds like an exageration but there it is. Alan Street came to The Garden House last year and counted nearly 400 flowers.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
Thanks very much, Brian & Matt, for the clarification.  I thought there would be some knowledge out there that might be useful to Anne, even though I myself am an ignoramus on this aspect of snowdrop culture.  My apologies to Matt if I commented out of turn.   
Almost in Scotland.

Matt Bishop

• Matt Bishop - Snowdrops
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »
None necessary, Alan! Had I not grown them, I might easily have come to that conclusion myself but there is certainly something in the chipping versus twin-scaling. I have since used this stock of 'Trumps'as the source for subsequnt batches for chipping (I tend to leave mine on the chunky side, even when twin-scaling) and I have never seen reversions whereas other growers who take there's smaller have noted absence of markings.

I also suspect that there is a variable tendency within different 'Trym' off-spring ( haven't enough
experience yetof inverse pocs derived from other species toi make useful observations) for the outer segment markings to be absent and basal marks seem more prone to dissappear than apical ones. The most unpredictable clone  seems to be 'Trimmer' which is variable, even in its inner segment marking on bulbs from chunky chips.....

Fantastic hybrid Anne - here's hoping that when you chip that offset the results are stable!

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
That looks great Anne  ;D

Where I've lifted some of my collection into pots incase I have to move (hopefully just up the road, still waiting to hear back , land agents are waiting for them to get back to them from USA) they are all flowering extra early .

Going to pop them in the glass house and get some pollen . "Miss Willmot " is looking particularly lovely today with 4 stocking flowers from one bulb , and the daughter bulb also has one flower . Photos to follow if I get a chance today .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
The label says Galanthus plicatus 'Colossus', so I assume it is correct!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
And this is labelled as Galanthus elwesii 'Comet'. Does it look right?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
Ralph your 'Comet' looks like an elwesii Hiemalis Group. I should have spare 'Comets' if you remind me to check.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Ru

• https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »
These are from the same cross last year. .....

Remarkable reverse poculiform!
Ukraine, Kherson. 
Mintemp -32C (Over the last 50 years. Absolute minimum - winter of 1939-1940 -39C),
Maxtemp +41C (2005 y).
I am always glad to friends! https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin

Ru

• https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
This blossoms now on my shelves with lighting.
Ukraine, Kherson. 
Mintemp -32C (Over the last 50 years. Absolute minimum - winter of 1939-1940 -39C),
Maxtemp +41C (2005 y).
I am always glad to friends! https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »
Shelves with lighting, Ru?  I would be interested to see a picture of what those look like.
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »
Thanks for your comments re chipping inverse pocs. So far in the few I've been able to chip (never taking down to twin-scales with galanthus) Trymlet comes reliably marked, as does Trym, but Trimmer (I must look up the correct spelling) and South Hayes do not. I won't experiment with mine until I have more bulbs of each clone.
Green tipped 'drops are as much of a problem - Modern Art and Dreycott Greentip are 2 which do not retain the green tips reliably. It must be something to do with the green being on the outer segments - as far as I know inner segment markings are always stable - unless someone knows better?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal