We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African Bulbs 2014  (Read 53656 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: South African Bulbs 2014
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
Cyrtanthus brachyscyphus is a flowering machine.  While it really never stops flowering at this time of year the new stalks come up with great rapidity.  And when it sets seed it sets them seriously.  It likes to be very wet except in the dead of winter.

johnw
21c
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:11:17 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »
It looks as good in fruit as it did in flower. What (who?) is pollinating it John? 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »
Immaculate conception. ;)

johnw

« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
I've checked the usual SA seed suppliers for more spp. of Cyrtanthus but I only see 3 listed.  Any other sources about?

johnw

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
The clematis has romped away Maggi, i cut it down in the spring to give the other plants a bit more breathing space. It came back with avengence, your right though it does make a good combination.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

SJW

« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
I've checked the usual SA seed suppliers for more spp. of Cyrtanthus but I only see 3 listed.  Any other sources about?

John - there were three species listed in last year's SRGC seed exchange so perhaps there'll be others this year? 
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

johnw

« Reply #231 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »
Thanks Steve  - I think I donated one and ordered the other two, Cyrtanthus elatus and Cyrtanthus mackenii.

Looking for seed of flanaganii, obliqua, epiphyticus and falcatus.  Telos is out as well.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:59:06 PM by johnw »

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »

I see that this firm: www.africaseeds.com list five species: breviflorus, contractus, epiphyticus, flanaganii and mackenii. I've not bought from them yet.
www.exotic-plants.de list the last three species and are very prompt in sending orders out.

Thanks for pointing out that brachyscyphus likes to be kept wet. I think I've kept mine too dry as it flowers (and seeds), but doesn't bulk up.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

SJW

« Reply #233 on: July 25, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
johnw

John - while Gordon Summerfield doesn't list any Cyrtanthus on his seedlist, I've found him very helpful and he may be able to help source what you want, or at least point you in the right direction? Just a thought.

johnw

« Reply #234 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #235 on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Peter  -  I often fill the saucer with water if the next day promises to be dry and windy.  Thinking back I guess I am not so liberal with the water if the plant shows signs of losing leaves in abundance.  Having said that a bout of heavy watering seems to spark a fresh round of growth which I try to avoid from mid December till early February when light is poor and flower stalks could stretch and flop.  Nevertheless once the clump reaches beyond the 5" pot stage it is very forgiving. For years I would let it dry between waterings and it grew very slowly and I thought it was difficult, when they went from a 5" to a 10" pot they exploded.  Now it needs a much bigger pot or a radical division. 

Three or four years ago Rogan sent me seed of C. contractus and it has been very slow or I have been very cautious with the water.  Still in a 3" deep, I'm taking not chances!

johnw
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:16:43 PM by johnw »

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #236 on: July 25, 2014, 11:00:05 PM »
Hmm.....

Mine are definitely grown in the wrong conditions - in a clay pot, plunged in sand alongside 'Mediterranean'-style bulbs. They seem to be thriving in spite of my best efforts.  :-\
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

SJW

« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »
Prepare to be underwhelmed...Rhadamanthus platyphyllus (Drimia platyphylla) in all its flowering glory! The bulb is relatively large given the small size of the flowers and stalk (3"/8cm), the leaf has already died back for the summer.

And here's the developing seed pods. There's just one plant so it must be self-fertile and pollinates easily because I didn't do so by hand. I'll send the seed to the seedex.

ArnoldT

« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
Two summer blooming Eucomis.

Eucomis Van der Merwei

Eucomis Comosa
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
Romulea flava, grown from NZAGS I think,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal