We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2008  (Read 67201 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Crocus January 2008
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
Wow, the biflorus nubigena is so striking.  Love the feathering on the other biflorus as well.  Fantastic pics everyone.... greatly enjoying them here at the moment.  They remind me of exactly what will happen in spring to the corms I have been taking out of pots in preparation for their new raised garden home soon.  At the moment my Crocus collection is predominantly a bunch of brown paper bags!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
Paul why don't you show us how your garden looked like before and after you have finished it?
Surely we can learn something from these photos!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »
Thomas,

You don't want to see what it looks like in the before shot.  I am literally building this garden across my driveway.  It will straddle one of the two concrete strips that make up the driveway heading to our garage (our garage hasn't had a car in it in close to 10 years now.... it's a junk room and my potting shed!  ::)).  I will be making the garden out of a single height of wooden sleepers, then building up with rocks etc to create contours etc.  At the moment the are is a whole bunch of pots sitting on the driveway.  I actually DID take pictures originally when I worked out exactly where and how big I was going to make the garden.... it will be 2.4m x 1.8m.  At the moment it is getting funds together to pay for materials that is holding me up, but I really have to get the crocus back into the ground within the next few weeks so I can't wait much longer now to do it!  I may even incorporate a dwarf japanese maple into the garden as well, as I would imagine it will help keep excess moisture away from the bulbs in summer while they're dormant and the maple is in growth?

I'm looking forward to having it finished and seeing how much better the Crocus, Iris reticulatas and Narcissus bulbocodiums will grow for being "in the ground" instead of in pots.  Of course then I will have to contend with seedlings coming up everywhere once everythign starts flowering better and hybridising.  I can think of worse things to have to be worrying about though!!  ;D

So once it is finished I may post a tiny (so you can't see TOO much detail as to how messy it currently is) picture of what it looked like beforehand.   :-[
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »
Here is my crocus, bought as, Zwanenberg Bronze. Looking a little chewed. Is it correct Thomas?

Crocus chrysanthus Zwanenburg Bronze
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:01:02 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
Come on Paul, post the pictures, we don't mind a mess ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
Nice potful David !  I hope you got hold of the nasties who chewed on it and gave them what they deserved.... ("crunch" -  ;D)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Crocus gargaricus ssp gargaricus and ssp herbertii are very similar, Mathew did not recognise ssp herbertii in his monograph.  It is said that ssp herbertii increases by producing stolons and this is the principle distinction.  An account of this plant and a photograph are to be found in the Quarterly Bulletin of the Alpine Garden Society Vol 68, No 2, pp205-206.  There may be other factors to observe, presence/absence of leaves at flowering and the distribution in the wild might be relevant - Tony W has seen them in the wild and might be able to help.  In my limited experience ssp gargaricus is easier to cultivate being more tolerant of the drier summers here, it sets a little seed for increase.

Just to be clear, the two subspecies are now recognised when Mathew did an update in The Plantsman June 2002.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:14:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »
Andrew don't hold in suspense what is the difference?
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »
Great pictures from everyone.
Still the hazy weather conditions hold back my crocus blossoms outside :-\
I hope for more sunshine...
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2008, 11:03:59 PM »

Crocus gargaricus ssp gargaricus and ssp herbertii are very similar, Mathew did not recognise ssp herbertii in his monograph.  It is said that ssp herbertii increases by producing stolons and this is the principle distinction.  An account of this plant and a photograph are to be found in the Quarterly Bulletin of the Alpine Garden Society Vol 68, No 2, pp205-206.  There may be other factors to observe, presence/absence of leaves at flowering and the distribution in the wild might be relevant - Tony W has seen them in the wild and might be able to help.  In my limited experience ssp gargaricus is easier to cultivate being more tolerant of the drier summers here, it sets a little seed for increase.

Ian, Tony G. gave this answer already, yesterday!

Main differences  from my reckoning are the willingness to make stolons and  herbertii having bigger bracts, I think ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2008, 07:09:38 PM »
Some of mine - taken in the sunshine yesterday   :)- today overcast again... >:( 

Crocus etruscus - closed and open
Crocus 'Miss Vain'
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »
Nice Luc. Lovely colouring on the etruscas, and Miss Vain such a pure white.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
Nice pictures Luc my etruscus is no where near flowering
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
Nothing special, just some snaps of seedling toms (very) briefly open in the sun this morning. And good old imperatii 'De Jaeger'...
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »

Just to be clear, the two subspecies are now recognised when Mathew did an update in The Plantsman June 2002.

Thanks Andrew, I knew I had the reference somewhere!  Unfortunately all he says is that there are differences and that ssp herbertii applies to plants from Ulu Dag.   
.... so Ian, looks like you are off to Turkey to check it for us :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal