We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2008  (Read 67742 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Crocus January 2008
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »
Dirk,

I love all three of the species.  What beauties.  Only come across korolkowii before, but the others are just gorgeous.  Well that's two more species I need to look out for now!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »
I think this is Crocus chrysanthus 'Gypsy Girl', though I'm not sure, I received it from an old lady who has hundreds in her garden. Quite common, I think, but at this time of the year every "common" plant is welcomed here. But because of it is on the windowsill, it always bends towards the light, and I have to rotate it every day  ;D
Nearby, in the same pot there are some Galanthus, but there are only buds now. I like to put many different bulbs in the same pot, it looks so nice if flowering at the same time! In last years I planted them out in the garden after flowering but now, learning from Ian the feeding ;), I will try to grow them in pots.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »
Here are a some from me. The first Bowles White (thank you Thomas) C Corsicus and C gargaricus ssp gargaricus. Perhaps someone can confirm this for me and explain the difference between the two sub species
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 06:55:21 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2008, 06:54:18 AM »
Ian,

I have to ask...... is that definitely Crocus corsicus?  It looks to me more like one of the imperatii?  Different enough to have sprung to mind as soon as I saw it, and on going and checking pics of my own it definitely looks like what I have under that name anyway, not corsicus?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
Ian - your Crocus corsicus does look like C imperati de Jager.  See the pics earlier in this thread.  At least they are both nice ones and command the same price.

Below is a crocus I received as C cvijicii but it is actually Crocus angustifolius.  The price was fair for the plant I (we? did you also order it?) got but a pity the source was unable to supply correct names.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
I ordered cvijicii last year to build my own stocks but it hasnt flowered yet. My own from a couple of years ago are now over. Did you buy from a UK nursery?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
Is the angustifolius really that orange, with such dark outer markings?  The picture is striking!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
Tony you are right how did you know I had bought cvijicii but it hasn't flowered yet but I will bet it will be the same only one supplier offered this as far as I know.

I have also bought Corsicus from Janis R but this is not in flower yet. Here is another picture of the offending crocus showing the inside

Tony do you have a view on the gargaricus please?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »
I bought Crocus cvijicii also, did yours come with the (is the word epithet?) kosanin? If so we probably bought from the same supplier, in which case there is a picture of it on his Web Site. Mine are in bud but not open yet, I will take a picture when I can.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »
They were too cheap to be true anyway. I suppose I'm, was it me?, to blame for promoting the web site on the forum.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
They were too cheap to be true anyway. I suppose I'm, was it me?, to blame for promoting the web site on the forum.

No blame Mark, overall I was very satisfied with what I bought. They are a good firm to deal with and I shall certainly use them next year as well.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
Lovely day here today just as Winter days should be, a good frost to start with and then clear blue sky all day. My front garden, unlike my back garden where my new bulb bed is situated, gets all the sun when it is available so at long last most of my front garden Crocuses were open for a change.

Here are a couple of pictures of Crocus chrysanthus Ard Schenk and being pollinated as well.

After further research I have corrected my spelling of this Crocuses name and established that it was named after a famous Dutch speed skater.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:00:10 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
So that's where all the good weather is David. Some lovely Crocus pics below . There are a few pushing through here but all tightly furled due to the grey gloom.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Went into the greenhouse about 1pm and found that the Cvijicii so called was flowering (I put one in a pot and the rest outside). Same as Tony's nice though and like most angustifolius has died out here - a slow death. I agree with David the firm that supplied these normally supplies good product be that it seems they lean toward Narcissus and  I have had no complaints. Might be useful to email a picture to them as undoubtedly they will have bought these in in good faith

Tony In relation to your earlier point re my posting of Corsicus strangely when I went to the greenhouse there were single bulbs of corsicus from another source and imperati suaveolens next to each other in flower. There seems little difference except the stigma is larger and more coloured on this corsicus and the outer of the imperati is more cream with the feathering

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »
So that's where all the good weather is David. Some lovely Crocus pics below . There are a few pushing through here but all tightly furled due to the grey gloom.

Hi John, the best day today for some weeks, I'd almost forgotten there was a sun up there. I sent you a PM a couple of days ago about Campanula Edward Forrest did you get it OK?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal