We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2014  (Read 20670 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Corydalis 2014
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »
My first one of the season- Corydalis wendelboi ssp wendelboi

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Corydalis 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
David,

Thank you so much for the photograph of C. wendeloi. I hope you post more Corydalis photos as your season progresses. Here in interior California (very hot in the summer) I'm very much isolated from the horticultural world and more or less the last stop for interesting plants. I grow C. flexuosa and that is about it, however I believe that other species would do well here. Anyway, until more comes my way I can enjoy the photographs and learn something too. Thank you so much.

Robert
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »
Robert, although I have a few species I'm very much a beginner with Corydalis and wouldn't be able to teach you much at all. It won't be long now though before the really good growers begin to show their pictures and in the meantime Ian Young's Bulb Log will offer you a vast amount of information (you can search it on "Corydalis )
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
........ and in the meantime Ian Young's Bulb Log will offer you a vast amount of information (you can search it on "Corydalis )
You can find the full index here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=846.msg289714#msg289714
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
nice plant David, great to see the first signs of a spring to come
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Robert

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:35:29 AM »
David,

Thank you for all the good words. I believe, if we are open, we can learn from everything! The Bulb Log, more or less, got me started with the forum. Mr. Young does us a huge service. It must be a labor of love. Maggi's efforts can not be forgotten either, her beneficial involvement in the forum is very evident.

I look forward to more Corydalis postings in the future.

Robert
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
In effect, Ian and Maggi as a unit ARE the Forum. ;D Oh well, there are a few others involved too, like a few thousand posters and lurkers but I can't imagine anyone else in the world who could have made our Forum such a friendly, user-friendly place where everyone is welcome and they don't mind our particular foibles. I know many have left others forums (fora?) because the rules were so strict they stifled open discussion and left participants with such a narrow focus that the life of that particular forum became boring very quickly and one felt inhibited form expressing a genuinely held opinion. Long live Maggi and Ian! ;D ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Thank you Lesley for the good words about the forum!!

I hope to contribute as I can, however the garden here is still sleepy.

Robert
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Margaret

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »

Here, here to Lesley's endorsement of Maggi and Ian. Lots of information, great research (how do you find all those links, Maggi?), care and concern for the forum members intermingled with plenty of fun. I'm hooked!
Margaret
Greenwich

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 02:52:44 AM »
Maggi does all the research and finds the links by not going to bed at all. She was working madly at her computer when I went to bed and was still there when I got up next day. I don't know how she manages it as she still looks fresh as a daisy - or a rhododendron - no matter how long her hours. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
Corydalis haussknechtii

One of the bulb-belt species and one of the earliest to flower. This is a Kurdish endemic being found in Turkish and Iraqi Kurdistan.
The flowers are white or very pale lilac with dark red-purple tips to the inner petals.

Not a plant to set the heather alight but it does have some quiet charm when viewed up close.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Robert

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
Steve,

C. haussknechtii looks nice in the photographs. There are, more or less, no Corydalis in our garden now. I have another batch of seed started so maybe this will change in the future. In the mean time, I enjoy seeing what others have growing.

Robert
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
These are very early flowering corydalis David and Steve.  Nowhere near flowering here, they start after most of the snowdrops are over.
Cyril
Scotland

ChrisD

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
My first one of the season- Corydalis wendelboi ssp wendelboi

Wow that is early and from the picture growing in the garden? Have you had them long David? There are so many pictures of gorgeous Corydalis on this site it is difficult to know which ones to try next.

And a great photos Steve.
Letchworth Garden City, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:01 PM »
Bought last August from Augis Bulbs (he has a substantial listing of Corydalis and supples high quality bulbs). It's put on a bit of growth since I took the picture so I'll try to get an update this week.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal