We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2014  (Read 20688 times)

latestart

Re: Corydalis 2014
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
I have Corydalis Kingfisher. It has been in flower since August and was still looking good in the middle of January. In the last few days it has taken a battering from the wind and heavy rain.

GordonT

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »
During a garden walkabout the other day, I noticed that our Corydalis elata was showing some green leaves, having emerged from under a snowbank. I was about take a few photos to share, but we have been buried again by yet another Nor'Easter. Now I have more snow removal work to do!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 02:10:48 PM »
The habit of  C. flexuosa, omeiana and their hybrids to make overwintering foliage is a welcome one for us here. They are remarkably hardy too, coping with snow,  open frost or seemingly endless rain - just great plants!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisD

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
The habit of  C. flexuosa, omeiana and their hybrids to make overwintering foliage is a welcome one for us here. They are remarkably hardy too, coping with snow,  open frost or seemingly endless rain - just great plants!

Yes lovely plants completely happy with anything our winters can throw at them, but those types are very susceptible to drying out in the summer. I  grow them in pots, but any in the garden die off over the summer. The bulbous types come back each year ( of course) - I hadn't realised just how early some of them start into growth.

I dont suppose "drying out in the summer" is too much of an issue in Aberdeen? ;D ;D ;D
Letchworth Garden City, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
Yes lovely plants completely happy with anything our winters can throw at them, but those types are very susceptible to drying out in the summer. I  grow them in pots, but any in the garden die off over the summer. The bulbous types come back each year ( of course) - I hadn't realised just how early some of them start into growth.

I don't suppose "drying out in the summer" is too much of an issue in Aberdeen? ;D ;D ;D
Not often an issue at all, no! We think we lose more plants through summer wet than winter wet.  :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
I was out today looking for my corydalis solida but there are no signs of them yet up here.  I've got one stirring in a pot though.  Maybe it's all that wet you've had down there David?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Jacek

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
Yes lovely plants completely happy with anything our winters can throw at them, but those types are very susceptible to drying out in the summer.

Chris, that's interesting. I believe here in Poland we tend to have longer hot spells than you and summer drought periods may be severe. Yet, while my Corydalis flexuosa always go dormant in summer (except rare cool and wet summers) they always nicely regrow in autumn. They never repeat flowering in autumn, though. And I have very few seeds.

I believe, the key for success is watering in the drought periods (that I regularly do except vacation) + somewhat water retentive soil + naturally cool location + lack of direct sun in summer + lack of significant root competition. In my semi-woodland garden I can achieve all. My felxuosas easily survived last year's record heat - up to 38C.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:53 AM »
Our C. flexuosa grow reasonably well here in hot interior California. 38C, or more, temperatures are common most summers. Everything Jacek stated above works for us.

Our plants do reseed. They also bloom in the autumn, after summer dormancy, if the weather stays cool.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
Corydalis popovii

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

ChrisD

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
Jacek, Robert - Thanks for the information. I do have one spot in the garden that might be OK. I usually try to grow plants that dont require regular watering over the summer and do well in my soil with just some organic matter at planting time and some mulch/fertiliser occasionally. However the colours on these corydalis are so good I am sure I could make an exception for another try with these.

Another great photo Steve.

Chris - Solida has just appeared here over the last couple of days, noses pushing through the soil but no leaves showing yet.
Letchworth Garden City, England

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Steve, superb close-up of Corydalis popovii with pink spurs.
Cyril
Scotland

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
Steve, superb close-up of Corydalis popovii with pink spurs.

Thanks Cyril!
The Leonticoides Corydalis were one of the few groups of plants to survive the many years of neglect here when my interests lay elsewhere. Even then many of them suffered from lack of watering and as a result a few have fragmented into 2 or 3 smaller tubers.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Margaret

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »

Please could some one help with advice about how to propagate Corydalis Blackberry Wine. I've had it for a few years and it seems to like my shady conditions and I love it. I've not been able to find any seed and the plant does not spread at the root although the top growth is very vigorous. I'm loathe to dig it up incase I loose it. Do you think root cuttings might work? :-\
Margaret
Greenwich

Anne Repnow

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »
It keeps on spreading... Pretty even without flowers.

Corydalis elata x flexuosa
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Anne Repnow

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
Just in case you wondered what the flowers look like. In flower from May to October.
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal