We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96153 times)

SJW

Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #405 on: July 30, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »
hello friends,
this is the first purpurascens this summer in my garden

Here's mine.

Goofy- what happened to the photo showing purpurascens 'Fatra' (or fatrense)? I was going to comment that there seems to be two types in cultivation: 'Fatra' and 'form from Fatra'. The former with plain leaves and the latter I think with marked leaves. I assume they both have darker flowers than average??
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

goofy

« Reply #406 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
hello Steve, sorry for the missing pic.
it was from last year :(

I have two seedlingplants from a buddy in Czech Rep.
which originate from "Velka Fatra" mountains,
and both have same color. its not so dark.
these plants have plain leaves and a paler color.
maybe there are also cultivars with darker color.
But I have not seen any "fatrense" for years in nurseries.........

(sometimes I heared that plain leaf are only called "fatrense"
but are not true from Fatra mountains)

new pics will follow later :)

as far as I know, "all fatrense" from cultivation have plain leaves,
but my buddy told, that there are also plants
with marbeled leaves are in the mountains......

cheers

SJW

« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »
I have two seedlingplants from a buddy in Czech Rep.
which originate from "Velka Fatra" mountains,
and both have same color. its not so dark.
these plants have plain leaves and a paler color.
maybe there are also cultivars with darker color.
But I have not seen any "fatrense" for years in nurseries.........

(sometimes I heared that plain leaf are only called "fatrense"
but are not true from Fatra mountains)

as far as I know, "all fatrense" from cultivation have plain leaves,
but my buddy told, that there are also plants
with marbeled leaves are in the mountains......

Hi Goofy, yes it's my understanding that the Fatra form has plain leaves although I think Green Ice nursery also sell a marbled-leafed variety they call 'form from Fatra' to distinguish between the two. I think the only way to be sure you have the real deal is to get seed or seedlings from the region itself, as you have. Once they're in cultivation and not grown in isolation, and the bees get to work...

Here's a young plant grown from seed exchange seed labelled 'Fatra'  :-\

goofy

« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2014, 06:06:50 AM »
hey Steve, just believe it :)
its nice

cheers

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #409 on: August 03, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
At our FCHS Rock Garden meeting on Saturday there were a few nice cyclamen.
The Cyclamen coum and C. pseudibericum were grown by Andrew, one of our members who's also a dab hand at Tecophilea (see the Southern Hemisphere Thread!) but I think cyclamen are his main love.
The Cyclamen persicum came from the AGS Seedex years ago as "ex Israel" - I grew the seed to flowering size and gave one to Otto who planted it in the FCHS garden - it was never so floriferous at my place! It's surrounded by sticks to try to deter the cockatoos!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Roma

« Reply #410 on: August 08, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »
This may have been discussed before or it may have been in the Cyclamen Society Journal.  I have some Cyclamen grown from Cyclamen Society seed sown in December 2007.  The label says Cyclamen hederifolium confusum ex PN99/151  Zakythnos.
The new cyclamen book casts doubt on this name and says plants found on Zakythnos may be Cyclamen hederifolium ssp. crassum.  The plants are large and fast growing.  One in particular has very sturdy stems and large flowers and leaves and has 3 flowers open now.  They are early flowering but confusum is supposed to be late flowering.  What is the true identity of this collection?   
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #411 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Has anyone seen this before.  I've seen other Cyclamen, particularly persicum develop new growing points round the edge of a damaged growing point or large tubers grow from several points.  This is the first time I have seen new growth from under the tuber.     I don't think it grew 2 years ago.  Last year it was very slow in starting then produced lots of leaves round the edge of the pot.  The first picture is from the top.
Cyclamen hederifolium 'Fairy Rings'
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

SJW

« Reply #412 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »
This may have been discussed before or it may have been in the Cyclamen Society Journal.  I have some Cyclamen grown from Cyclamen Society seed sown in December 2007.  The label says Cyclamen hederifolium confusum ex PN99/151  Zakythnos.
The new cyclamen book casts doubt on this name and says plants found on Zakythnos may be Cyclamen hederifolium ssp. crassum.  The plants are large and fast growing.  One in particular has very sturdy stems and large flowers and leaves and has 3 flowers open now.  They are early flowering but confusum is supposed to be late flowering.  What is the true identity of this collection?   

Roma - Pat Nicholls (cycnich) would be better placed to comment on this as the seed was originally collected by him! I received some of the original seed back in 99/00 through the CS seed distribution and I've sent in seed from one of its offspring for quite a while now. So it could be from my plant which is a strong grower with dark leaves and a central silver 'splosh' (but not quite so distinctive or as good as 'Silver Shield'). Here's more info from Pat:

From the Cyclamen Society Journal, December 1999 (Vol 23 No.2)
“On a recent  family holiday to the Greek island of Zakinthos, Pat Nicholls collected seed of C. hederifolium for the Society's seed distribution. In the ruins of the Venetian fort above Zakinthos town, Pat reckons he found C.  hederifolium var. confusum* (which would be consistent with the record of its presence on the island in Kit Grey-Wilson's book). The plants were growing under pines in quite dense shade and though they were dormant some idea of the size of the leaves was clear from the dry remains. The leaves were much larger than normal, as indeed were the seed pods. Pat concedes that this may have been due to the habitat, but the plants were similar to confusum he had seen on Crete and others which he grows himself. Pat collected these seeds under the number PN/99/151, and he would be interested to hear about  the plants that result in a few years' time.”

*this would now be classified as C. hederifolium subsp. crassifolium, C. confusum being restricted to Crete.

I also have a plant from seed collected on the same trip (PN/99/152) which is a much slower grower and with small, plain green leaves. There's a photo of it in flower in the Autumn Show report in the December 2013 journal.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:25:06 AM by SJW »

SJW

« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
Has anyone seen this before.  I've seen other Cyclamen, particularly persicum develop new growing points round the edge of a damaged growing point or large tubers grow from several points.  This is the first time I have seen new growth from under the tuber.     I don't think it grew 2 years ago.  Last year it was very slow in starting then produced lots of leaves round the edge of the pot.  The first picture is from the top.
Cyclamen hederifolium 'Fairy Rings'

No, not seen such an extreme example as that. Perhaps the top of the tuber received some trauma last year that has stimulated the development of dormant growing points further down the tuber? (Although I see that there is new growth from the top as well...). I've been disappointed with the two Fairy Rings plants I've bought. Correction, the one Fairy Ring plant I have left. They've never really taken off and growth has been slow and sparse. I don't know if this cultivar has a reputation for being a bit weak and miffy?

SJW

« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2014, 12:20:02 AM »
...So it could be from my plant which is a strong grower with dark leaves and a central silver 'splosh' (but not quite so distinctive or as good as 'Silver Shield').

Although I'm sure I wouldn't have labelled it as confusum for the seed exchange! Because it hasn't formally been identified as crassifolium, I think I usually send in the seed as hederifolium scented (ex Zakynthos PN99/151).

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2014, 08:24:09 AM »
Interesting Roma .

Here hederifolium was very early to and the red ones Always come first.

This C. purpurascens grows in the hottest part of my rockgarden. Ful sun whole day long , hot and dry place to.
Sometime the leaves are curved downwards due the warmth but except for that it thrives .
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
Roma  - Funny Ken was repotting some ex 'Fairy Rings' last night, discovered the same bizarre shoot formations, went on the SRGC and found your recent post.  Here's a purpurascens whose growth stalk either rotted off last year or was eaten off by a slug, usually it takes ages for a new growth point to start up again so this was rather surprising.

Kris  - Here too a silver purpurascens with large dark flowers.  Most here are happiest in filtred sun especially this year as it has been so dry.  This is the first time I have seen them with curled leaves in full sun.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Kris  - Here too a silver purpurascens with large dark flowers.  Most here are happiest in filtred sun especially this year as it has been so dry.  This is the first time I have seen them with curled leaves in full sun.
johnw

Very promising John , many flowers to come ......
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #418 on: August 10, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »

When I collected the seed back in 1999 Cyclamen confusum as it is now was still considered a variety of hederifolium and ssp crassifolium was not even heard of. I sent the seed to the society as Cyclamen hederifolium PN99/151 Zakynthos but it was never labeled confusum by me this must have been added by somebody else over the years. I did think at the time it may have been confusum but further research over the years by the society has proven otherwise. If I were to collect that same seed today I would label it Cyclamen hederifolium but would add it may be ssp crassifolium ?. The Ionian islands are still a subject to ongoing research by the society and the question of whether ssp crassifolium grows on any of them has not really been answered. One thing I m sure of is that plants from Zakynthos are some of the best in cultivation and the variation is greater on this island than anywhere I have seen in Greece or the islands, I was lucky to return there in 2008 as part of the society field trip and we saw some amazing plants. At the moment I will continue to call my Zakynthos plants hederifolium until the research is complete.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:26:03 PM by cycnich »
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #419 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »
I was at Kew yesterday (camera was back in Devon!) and there we're patches of Cyclamen graecum in full blossom in the Rock Garden as well as in pots in the alpine house.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal